Beeing Defensive, when do you accept defeat?

I had a good start to the season but i wanted to try and tightern my defence up a little bit, keeping a close eye on the match odds etc im trying to be less offensive in a bid to keep more clean sheets.. I think the opposite has happend tho, im letting in on avergae 2 a game now for past 10 games..

IMO beeing defensive or cautious just dont work, seems like play attacking every game and hope the 11 players are good enough to win etc..

thing is when do you accept defeat so you dont beat your self up about tactics and if you got them wrong ect?

I'm really anoyed at the mo with the lack of defensive stabilty and what a defensive tactic means, just can't replicate any thing near what it is IRL.

I've got a pretty good defensive 4-1-2-3 going ATM. The key is short passing, a slow tempo and a DM with a defensive mentality.

I generally have more success when attacking, but I got so fed up of conceding stupid goals that I changed to this one. I sit back for 70 minutes or so, and then change to 4-2-4 for the last twenty minutes. It works well.

I agree being defensive is counter productive. Control strategies are much better in my opinion because if done well uses mental attributes which on FM are the most important.

I never aim to just defend anymore. maybe im not good enough defensively to make it work though.

just sitting back and defending means your players will probably be working harder so will tire quicker (as they dont have the ball). so lazy players wont work. nor will players who like attacking and not playing as a team.

i dont really have a defensive tactic except for dropping a DM in for a striker and playing 4141. my defenders play offside and hold a high line and it works well.

just sitting back and defending means your players will probably be working harder so will tire quicker (as they dont have the ball). so lazy players wont work. nor will players who like attacking and not playing as a team.

i dont really have a defensive tactic except for dropping a DM in for a striker and playing 4141. my defenders play offside and hold a high line and it works well.

Unless you tell your guys to keep shape, forcing your opponents to try more things.

I've got a pretty good defensive 4-1-2-3 going ATM. The key is short passing, a slow tempo and a DM with a defensive mentality.

I generally have more success when attacking, but I got so fed up of conceding stupid goals that I changed to this one. I sit back for 70 minutes or so, and then change to 4-2-4 for the last twenty minutes. It works well.

4-1-2-3

im using a 4-4-2, in a bid to try and get players used to that formation im worried to change it incase it causes conflict, allthough given my recent run i dont think that matters lol..

would using a 4-1-4-1 or a 4-5-1 be to much of a problem if im changing from a 4-4-2 which i would use when i knw or am expected to win?

I completely agree, along with altering the attacking runs of the fullbacks / defensive line if you have trouble with balls round the back or over the top.

4-1-2-3

im using a 4-4-2' date=' in a bid to try and get players used to that formation im worried to change it incase it causes conflict, allthough given my recent run i dont think that matters lol..

would using a 4-1-4-1 or a 4-5-1 be to much of a problem if im changing from a 4-4-2 which i would use when i knw or am expected to win?[/quote']

Try 4-4-2 with a more defensive MCd. It works well for me (well, better than 4-1-3-2, 4-1-4-1 or 4-5-1 at least!).

4-5-1 little creative freedom, and closing down quite low as well except 4 the DM and the two defensive MC's when its on high, im west ham and went 6 games without conceeding in the premier league in a row, but then when i play Arsenal, Chelsea i tend to concede a lot, but just get a super quick forward with good balance and technique learn 'round the GK' = ultimate win

Same here. I tend to get very angry if my team concedes 2 or more too, 1 I can handle aslong as we win.

You will probably cry at the match where I played to a 4-4 with Arsenal then. Oh, and I only conceded 18 goals in that whole league season, 7 scored by Arsenal. I generally do not concede goals, but I am playing Manchester United after all. Manchester United is famous for its defense by attacking the living lights out of the other team.

Try 4-4-2 with a more defensive MCd. It works well for me (well, better than 4-1-3-2, 4-1-4-1 or 4-5-1 at least!).

Why the hate over 4-1-3-2? :) I am using 4-1-3-2 and I am aiming for 6 cups this year (already got 2 in the bag, in the final for the league cup, knockout stages of Champions League, 5th round of FA and 8 points clear of the table with 10 odd matches to go. My best season to date by the way, since I generally win the league late, or got kicked out by Manchester City/Arsenal/Liverpool (CURSE THEM!) in the Fa/league cups!

i have a current set of tactics that i find work well,

I dont set my self goals out for the season but intstead just goals for the match ahead,

If im not favourites ill start playing my standard tactics and then go to defensive if i lose a goal,

I can often draw a game this way or even snatch it in the last minutes if im lucky.

i have a current set of tactics that i find work well,

I dont set my self goals out for the season but intstead just goals for the match ahead

This is exactly what i do. I pick my side on many factors including difficulty of opponent, cup/league game, who is fit and so on.

Beeing Defensive, when do you accept defeat?

NEVER..:)

Archived