teams (AI) sussing you out

Has anyone else had the problem of having to change their formation every season due to the computer seeming to know exactly what your doing after 1 season. im in my 8th season now and am having to figure out new tactics every season. I wondered whether anyone has used the same formation season after season with success without being a major club (man utd, chelsea, barcelona, real etc)?

I always use a 4-4-2 formation. I have not had much success on FM09 mainly because I have not progessed very far but I did win stuff on previous FMs like on FM08 where I had success (mostly with Man United and Real Madrid) but also with AFC Wimbledon, Chimney Corner, Kildare County and PSV Eindhoven.

i played 4-4-2 in the early seasons but ever since then when ive tried it i let so many goals in. last season the tactic of 4-2-3-1 defended quite well but didnt score as many, but first two games of the season i won 6-3 but then got stuffed 3-0 away so already let in 6 in two games.

I've always used the same 4-4-2 i custom made from 07 and it's never been "sussed" out and generally gives me good results. Had 4 years on the trot were I won everything i was in as Man City (youth took FA/League cups). Works in low leagues aswell... also worked in 08 and now in 09 when I'm top of BSN as Solihull (the worst team)... seems to work with everybody apart from West Ham who my brother got fired from after finishing 17th aha

I always use a 4-4-2 formation. I have not had much success on FM09 mainly because I have not progessed very far but I did win stuff on previous FMs like on FM08 where I had success (mostly with Man United and Real Madrid) but also with AFC Wimbledon, Chimney Corner, Kildare County and PSV Eindhoven.

Kildare County!!!

Fantastic! Just down the road from me!

Has anyone else had the problem of having to change their formation every season due to the computer seeming to know exactly what your doing after 1 season.

The BIGGEST ever FM myth.

It's a myth, I tell you, a jolly great big fat myth.

My formation history:

FM07 - 4-4-2 diamond from BSS to Premier League.

FM08 - 4-4-1-1 everywhere I went in a 10 year career that went St. Albans --> Derry City --> Kaiserslauten --> Ghana --> Leverkusen.

FM09 - mostly 4-4-2 and some 4-4-2 diamond. No problems with being 'sussed' out.

So, no no no no no no no people of this thread. It is an outrage and a complete and utter lie. :D

However, one may experience the 'problem' of the opposition changing its approach, e.g. becoming more defensive. Quite a different thing indeed.

C.

Kildare County!!!

Fantastic! Just down the road from me!

I managed to get them promoted and win the Premier League. :D

They got relegated from the 1st division in reality this season but remain in the division don't they as Cobh Ramblers have dropped out of the league as they did not obtain a license.

The BIGGEST ever FM myth.

It's a myth, I tell you, a jolly great big fat myth.

My formation history:

FM07 - 4-4-2 diamond from BSS to Premier League.

FM08 - 4-4-1-1 everywhere I went in a 10 year career that went St. Albans --> Derry City --> Kaiserslauten --> Ghana --> Leverkusen.

FM09 - mostly 4-4-2 and some 4-4-2 diamond. No problems with being 'sussed' out.

So, no no no no no no no people of this thread. It is an outrage and a complete and utter lie. :D

However, one may experience the 'problem' of the opposition changing its approach, e.g. becoming more defensive. Quite a different thing indeed.

C.

Absolutely. People confuse formation and tactics a lot. They aren't quite the same thing. However, a formation change can bring great results if it takes advantage, by inherent shape, of the weaknesses in another formation or tactical set up.

The irritating thing in FM09 is the AI seems to successfully tweak way too much. How many times has your team taken the lead and lost???

Now ask the same question in real life.

As a real-life manager so far this season I have no lost a game where I have taken the lead and I have also yet to win a game where I have conceded first.

FM09 is just unrealistic.

My tactics tend to evolve as I play the game. I pick up new ideas, and try new things, and if it works I carry on using it. As has been said, the AI sussing your tactics theory is a load of rubbish anyway, and I believe has been confirmed by someone at SI in the past.

I've always used the same 4-4-2 i custom made from 07 and it's never been "sussed" out and generally gives me good results. Had 4 years on the trot were I won everything i was in as Man City (youth took FA/League cups). Works in low leagues aswell... also worked in 08 and now in 09 when I'm top of BSN as Solihull (the worst team)... seems to work with everybody apart from West Ham who my brother got fired from after finishing 17th aha

Sounds like you have it sorted with that tactic, you got a link for it or fancy letting me give it a go with my Burnley side?

Archived