How much difference does a good captain make?

Just wondering how much of a difference to performances your captain really makes. Anyone have experiences of this? Currently (with Sheff Wed) the armband is held by my centre-back who is a local lad but only has influence 13. However, i've just signed Stephen Defour who has influence 18 (the highest of any player at the club). Would giving him the captancy improve performances at all, or make very little difference?

Do people simply choose the captancy on influence or do other factors play a part?

Up until very recently I used to choose my captain based on whoever had the highest 'influence' rating.

But there was a very good thread/discussion on here recently which explained which other factors/ratings are involved in making a good captain.

No one was quite sure though exactly how much of a difference to the team having a 'good' captain makes.

P.S. I did try searching for the thread, but contrary to advice constantly given by many others on here, it's not that easy to find an old thread.

From the advice so far I think Defour will make a better captain. My current one is a bit of a wimp and tends to perform badly in big games - he's only kept the armband because he is from Sheffield and my mate works with his dad IRL. Think i'm allowing sentiment to rule my decisions!

From the advice so far I think Defour will make a better captain. My current one is a bit of a wimp and tends to perform badly in big games - he's only kept the armband because he is from Sheffield and my mate works with his dad IRL. Think i'm allowing sentiment to rule my decisions!

If this is the case then sell the player, dont play him for sentimaental reasons, if he isnt performing to an acceptable standard then he will drag the team down.

And defour would be an awesome captain, he captained my wigan side to the FA cup in his first season as captain:thup:

Decisions probably the last you want to think of in my 4 suggestions actually.

Morale is important as well, if you're vice captain has a better morale than your captain, and you can afford to not play your Captain in the next match(es), could think about dropping him to the bench.

Do people find that age makes a difference too? Would a player who is 18 or 19 but with high influence (15 or over) make a better captain than a 31 year old with an influence lower than 15, assuming that personalities etc were the same.

if your captain is under 22 when you assign the armband to him, look at his profile and it will say he is worried your putting too much pressure on him at a young age, this may have an effect on results at the beginning of the season, but it sorts itself out.

Use a backup save with an older and younger captain, play both, compare results:thup:

if your captain is under 22 when you assign the armband to him, look at his profile and it will say he is worried your putting too much pressure on him at a young age, this may have an effect on results at the beginning of the season, but it sorts itself out.

I made Mascio captain at 20, he had a terrible season, I took the armband away the next summer and gave it to Radoi, and now each season Mascio informs me he does not want to be considered for the captaincy. One particularly well implemented 'little thing' in the game, I think.

Use a backup save with an older and younger captain, play both, compare results:thup:

Just offer him a better contract immediately and increase his importance to Indespensable.

Job done.

I'll just clear something up in here: Decisions has nothing to do with it, it is an attribute for cental players on how to play a ball.

The key factors are: Influence, Determination, time spent at club, age, whether he is a first team regular or not.

Other two might be and probably are Work Rate and Team Work but I can't confirm those two 100%, they're just logical to me. Also the ability to speak the right language, but if they've spent the right amount of time at the club that shouldn't be a problem.

I don't think I have missed anything out...

From my experience, the most important attributes are (in this order) : influence, determination, important matches (from coach report and personal experience), work rate (not teamwork, that's for other things), ambition (from profile, coach report, media responses).

As a side note, he should be at least a good/quality player for the team and perform well.

Also, the coach report must say "He fits well in the team".

The Captain has a marginal influance on the players on the pitch, affecting the mental and some hidden attributes across the board. The degree is compartively small, but greater for those with greater influance, of course. Influance is modified somewhat by personal issues as well, like if a player likes or dislikes the captain.

So. While attributes like Decisions and Composure donn't necessarily effect a captain's ability, the higher a captian's ratings are, the more everyone else's abilities are affected by him. Conversely, if they are low, his 'mates will suffer a bit...

Thus, the higher a captain's mental ratings...all of them...are, the better a captain he'll be. High ratings like Work Rate and Determination are generally easier to find, but the more little green (or blue, or red, or fuscia, whatever your skin-of-choice has for 15+) numbers he has in the middle column, the happier you're gonna be. For this reason, young players don't always make good captains (though some rare few can), because mental ratings in general start low and tend to grow over time as the player gets older and gains experience. Not to mention the "pressure" thing mentioned above...

If your captain is Unsporting and has a high Aggressiveness, you can expect your yellow and red cards to skyrocket across your whole team...

I have Zanetti as captain and Cordoba as vice-captain, none of them are in my first-team, but out of sentiment, i can't change them until they retire. Even with them playing just less important matches i have still went on to win the Serie A three matches off, reached the finals of Italian and CL cups, have yet to play them against Roma and Barcelona respectively.

In my St Albans City season my captain was my first choice centre back at the start of the game, but we now have two better ones. However, we always play better when my captain is playing, even though he is actually worse, so he plays a lot more for me

Archived