Second nationality for yourself.

I usually just set myself to Irish 1st and Polish 2nd as that is who I am. but you are right, depending on what league you manage in, knowing the language is very effective. It's like the reputation setting, it makes the game easier in the early stages as players can understand what you are barking on about :p

Scottish with N. Irish relatives, so that's what I go with usually. I do wish you'd have some option to sort out your languages, though, because I'm fluent in French and German, and know basic Spanish, Italian, Dutch and Russian, and would like that to be reflected in the game :(

I once did this to a limited extent, going Dutch/French so I'd have knowledge of Dutch, English, German and French, but I'm almost always going Scottish/N.Irish

Welsh/English as that's me. The only advantage it gives is that if I don't load up the Welsh league, it's not long before the Welsh FA come calling for me to lead the national team to, erm, glory ;) Even setting past experience to the lowest doesn't alter this if I've had a good couple of seasons and built up my reputation a bit with a BSS team like Newport.

Options to choose your languages would be nice and add a bit more 'flavour' to the game. Sadly Welsh doesn't seem to exist in the game - I reckon me and

bellamy

would have rather nice chats. :(

I choose Singaporean, and what irks me is that the language I 'speak' is English and Malay.

Which isn't true. Clearly they haven't researched Singapore properly, and assumed that Singaporeans are Malays. 70% of Singaporeans are Chinese.

I choose Singaporean, and what irks me is that the language I 'speak' is English and Malay.

Which isn't true. Clearly they haven't researched Singapore properly, and assumed that Singaporeans are Malays. 70% of Singaporeans are Chinese.

To be fair, the reason why you get both English and Malay as fluent languages is because the game does not randomly select a few languages out of all the possible languages that are spoken by the majority in that particular country. Instead, you get the whole lot.

So if you choose say Netherlands as a nationality, you would get Dutch, English and German as your fluent languages (not sure if those are all). However, that is not to say every person living there speak German/English or even Dutch.

However, the claim of poor research can be justified by the exclusion of Chinese and Tamil as fluent languages in the game because they too are official languages of the country.

Regarding the OP's question, I do indeed select nationalities not of my own in the game as I do not play the game imagining myself as the manager per se. Rather, the way I play is that I imagine playing a fictional character and as such, tend to select random nationalities whenever I start up a new save.

To be fair, the reason why you get both English and Malay as fluent languages is because the game does not randomly select a few languages out of all the possible languages that are spoken by the majority in that particular country. Instead, you get the whole lot.

So if you choose say Netherlands as a nationality, you would get Dutch, English and German as your fluent languages (not sure if those are all). However, that is not to say every person living there speak German/English or even Dutch.

However, the claim of poor research can be justified by the exclusion of Chinese and Tamil as fluent languages in the game because they too are official languages of the country.

If we get 'the whole lot', then reasonably it should be English, Chinese and Malay.

I don't select a second nationality, because I don't have one irl. But being Dutch I get English and German as languages as well.

Never experienced any problems with getting jobs because I don't speak a certain language.

I am Croatian, and I don't have a 2nd nationality so I don't choose it. What irritates me is that I speak English fluently, and the game automatically assumes I can't speak English.

How is this for a thought. In the editor you can add language skills for every player or non-player in the game, wouldn't it be better if this functionality was available in the Create/Select Manager Wizard ? It would be a great addition to version 9.3. I , for example, would like to add that I speak French, although pretty badly !

I am Croatian, and I don't have a 2nd nationality so I don't choose it. What irritates me is that I speak English fluently, and the game automatically assumes I can't speak English.

It should be easy enough to code an extra option when you choose your manager profile to choose which languages you can speak fluently or basically. Not a game-breaker, but it would be a nice touch. You can choose your gender after all, why not languages?

It should be easy enough to code an extra option when you choose your manager profile to choose which languages you can speak fluently or basically. Not a game-breaker, but it would be a nice touch. You can choose your gender after all, why not languages?

Like many people on here I put my nationality IRL (Scottish), which like many others on here gives me only English as my language, but like many others I am reasonably fluent in at least one other, French in my case.

I'd never really thought about this much with regards to FM, until last night, when I was appointed National manager/coach of Uruguay and I'm having problems/issues with both media and players/staff because I don't speak Spanish.

1) Will this adversley affect the performance of my side?

2) If answer to above is yes, will it affect my manager rating overall and cause other problems longer term with regards to applying for future posts, signing players etc.?

3) How long do I have to manage Uruguay for basic Spanish to appear as a language in my profile?

Oh, of course, not everyone speaks all of those languages, but when I was in the Netherlands for a week about seven or eight years ago I only came across one woman who didn't speak English. Well, there was a man in a pub as well, but he was Spanish, not Dutch. In general their knowledge of the English language is very good, and the closer you get to the German border the more people you'll find who speak German as well.

One wonders why we can't get a third nationality as manager...

Is it possible in football terms to have a 3rd nationality?

I've always taken the 'nationality' in FM to mean:

1st nationality: Country of birth

2nd nationality: Country, if different from above, chosen to represent at International level.

As opposed to some of the comments above e.g. I'm quarter Irish, I've applied for citizenship of country A, live in country B but was born in Country C.

Am I wrong?

I've seen players with multiple nationalities before though.

I mean, dual nationalities can also mean your parents are of different nationalities (that's 2 already), and then you are born in another country, and perhaps grew up in yet another country.

Owen Hargreaves perhaps. He could be Canadian, German or English.

I've seen players with multiple nationalities before though.

I mean, dual nationalities can also mean your parents are of different nationalities (that's 2 already), and then you are born in another country, and perhaps grew up in yet another country.

Owen Hargreaves perhaps. He could be Canadian, German or English.

I'm not a Man Utd or Owen Hargreaves expert, so apologies in advance.

I always thought he was born in Canada, to English parents.

Which countries was he eligible to represent IRL before he chose England?

Oh, of course, not everyone speaks all of those languages, but when I was in the Netherlands for a week about seven or eight years ago I only came across one woman who didn't speak English. Well, there was a man in a pub as well, but he was Spanish, not Dutch. In general their knowledge of the English language is very good, and the closer you get to the German border the more people you'll find who speak German as well.

In the Netherlands 90% of all persons 16 years or older can speak English (because all foreign programs, most of them are in English, are subtitled so young children get used to the language quick. My daughter is 4 years old, but she already gets English lessons on school). Only the older Dutchmen will have trouble with it. Most Dutchmen can understand German and like Dalimyr mentioned the closer to the border with Germany to more people can speak and read it as well.

So I think it is reflected well in the game, I have Dutch and English as languages and German listed as Basic.

I'm not a Man Utd or Owen Hargreaves expert, so apologies in advance.

I always thought he was born in Canada, to English parents.

Which countries was he eligible to represent IRL before he chose England?

Born in Canada

To British parents (one was Welsh I think, so also eligible for Wales)

Grew up in Germany

So was eligible for Canada, Wales, Germany, but chose England.

Born in Canada

To British parents (one was Welsh I think, so also eligible for Wales)

Grew up in Germany

So was eligible for Canada, Wales, Germany, but chose England.

So what are the rules IRL then?

I don't quite understand why he was eligible for Germany though?

Is that like the Almunia for England/ Novo for Scotland issue?

How do 'Home Nations' in-game and IRL differentiate in this case?

There is, strictly speaking, no such thing as Welsh/English or Scottish. They are all British passport holders, which I would assume is the ultimate decider where nationality is concerned.

My other point is that football nationality (e.g. What country you are eligible for) is different to your Nationality (e.g. I'm pretty certain Aiden McGeady (Celtic) doesn't have an Irish passport).

So in FM, what does nationality, both 1st and 2nd, actually represent?

So what are the rules IRL then?

I don't quite understand why he was eligible for Germany though?

Is that like the Almunia for England/ Novo for Scotland issue?

How do 'Home Nations' in-game and IRL differentiate in this case?

There is, strictly speaking, no such thing as Welsh/English or Scottish. They are all British passport holders, which I would assume is the ultimate decider where nationality is concerned.

My other point is that football nationality (e.g. What country you are eligible for) is different to your Nationality (e.g. I'm pretty certain Aiden McGeady (Celtic) doesn't have an Irish passport).

He was eligible for Germany due to residency. Yes, somewhat like Almunia et al.

I'm not sure how 'Home Nations', or 'Great Britain' in the game works. Apparantly if a foreigner spends time in Scotland and England it counts as the same thing.

And eventually they get a 'British' passport, but I'm not sure what nation they are eligible to represent.

In the Netherlands 90% of all persons 16 years or older can speak English (because all foreign programs, most of them are in English, are subtitled so young children get used to the language quick. My daughter is 4 years old, but she already gets English lessons on school). Only the older Dutchmen will have trouble with it. Most Dutchmen can understand German and like Dalimyr mentioned the closer to the border with Germany to more people can speak and read it as well.

So I think it is reflected well in the game, I have Dutch and English as languages and German listed as Basic.

Yup, I did not claim that it was an ingame misrepresentation of the languages a good majority of the Dutch are fluent in.

My point was that the game does not do a random dice roll for example as you chose your nationality and pick with of the appropriate languages would your manager be fluent in. E.g. me picking Dutch as a nationality nets me English and Dutch this time round, whereas I might get English, Dutch and German the next time. No, you get all three as that is how it is coded.

This example arose from the issue of the languages you are fluent in if you were to select Singaporean as a nationality. Singapore is a hodgepodge of ethnic groups and the four official languages are English, Chinese, Malay and Tamil. English is the medium of instruction in schools so almost everyone aged 40-50 or younger would be fluent in English. The other three official languages are the mother tongues of the three largest ethnic groups.

So in response to BenArsenal's post about the poor research done regarding the Singaporean nationality, I agreed to a certain extent and suggested that if one were to select Singaporean as your nationality, your fluent languages should thus appear as English, Chinese, Malay and Tamil, citing the Dutch nationality and its various languages as reference.

He was eligible for Germany due to residency. Yes, somewhat like Almunia et al.

I'm not sure how 'Home Nations', or 'Great Britain' in the game works. Apparantly if a foreigner spends time in Scotland and England it counts as the same thing.

And eventually they get a 'British' passport, but I'm not sure what nation they are eligible to represent.

They would all have "British" listed as their other nationality, but only "England", "Scotland", "Wales" or "North Ireland" listed under "Nations eligible for", depending on where they qualified for their residency.

So back to my original question......

Football nationality (e.g. What country you are eligible for) is different to your 'Nationality' (e.g. I'm pretty certain Aiden McGeady (Celtic) doesn't have an Irish passport).

I think...

1st nationality is the country you are expected to represent (There are English-born who are Scottish, for example), or have already played international football for.

2nd nationality can be picked up, or as normal dual nationality rules (different parents etc).

However, unlike real life, where one can say (for example) 'Chinese-American' if one holds both a Chinese and American passport, the game chooses one for you as your 'main' nationality.

So back to my original question......

Football nationality (e.g. What country you are eligible for) is different to your 'Nationality' (e.g. I'm pretty certain Aiden McGeady (Celtic) doesn't have an Irish passport).

The "first" nationality, i.e. the nation listed under the the player portrait, is that of the national association he plays international matches for. So Eduardo of Arsenal, who was born in Brazil, is listed as Croatian first-and-foremost as he plays for the Croatian National Team. This is just the game's way of cataloging the players and does not represent which nationality the player holds more dearly.

The "other" nationalities are nationalities that the player qualifies for through residency or family heritage. Or in cases of players such as Eduardo, his birth nationality gets relegated to here. Again, just the way the game sorts out multiple nationalities.

Archived