Problems signing players with reserve team

I am new to Football Manager and I got FM09 for my Mac just recently. I started the campaign with Barcelona B, and I already have come across a frustrating problem. I've tried to search the forums and look through the booklet but I didn't find anything...

Before I explain, I have updated to the latest version using the patch for 9.2.0, but I started the game before having made this update.

My problem is that I signed a player on a free, and he accepted. It said that he had signed for Barcelona B, and looking at "History" in "Transfers", it shows that I have signed the player, to play in Barca B. It says the same in the general Transfer summary window. However, this player isn't actually on my squad list, and if I click his profile, he actually comes up as a Barcelona first team player, as opposed to a Barca B player... Which would be okay if I could move him, as it is possible with the U19 players, to my team, but I can't do that. I was wondering if this might be because when I offered him a contract, as part of his role I selected "First Team Player". I though this wouldn't be significant, as plenty of my current B team players are described as "First Team Players", and on top of that, Barca B would probably be classed as a Barcelona Feeder Club, as opposed to merely a Reserve Team, unlike for example, Chelsea Reserves. And if the "First Team Player" Role option really classified him as a Barcelona "A" signing, why does he still show up as a "B" transfer in all the stats...?

I'm hoping you can help me out... Thanks!

when buying a player, make sure the contract you offer him states that he will be a backup player or youngster, then he will appear in your reserves squad, if you offer him rotation or first team then of course he will appear in your clubs first team, which you dont want. ^^

Yeah Devilsharck that would be it - I wasn't aware that offering him a first team contract would put him up in the first team. I didn't know i had the power to sign players for the first team... Thanks!

@ Jimbob, Barca B is on the list, but I can't move him - I can only move players up from the U19 team to Barcelona B, but not down from the first team. The only way I could do it is by requesting a loan, but this is always refused.

Thank you for your help!

Archived