How do you get a CM to play well?

So here's the thing, I will purchase someone like [edited]

You get the point basically some of the best CM's on the game.

I will either buy them at the start of the game or after a couple of seasons.

When I buy them after a couple of seasons they will average about 7.30 over the last 3 seasons grabbing loads of assists and goals.

Then when I buy them they will perform horribly, regardless of what formation I play them in.

For example when I had *** and ***, I played them in the exact same formation and position they played for Roma when they averaged like 7.40, 3 seasons in a row.

Yet when I play them they will always average like 6.80 and score naff all.

I haven't messed around with the player position tactic for CM. I have just left it at the default like nothing ticked.

Is there anyway to get them to recapture the form they were in at their old club and is there a screen shot of the way the CM's should be set up tactically.

Thanks for your time.

Whatever level I play at, my central midfielders are always the worst, ratings-wise. Whatever tactics I've used don't really help. I tried playing a wide game then through the middle to create space for them, played narrowly to see if that would help, adjusted forward/backward runs. Whatever I try, their ratings are by far the worst compared to other positions.

One thing you should note, IIRC, is that your player doesn't play poor: it's just his rating that's low. I think I read somewhere on this forum you can increase his rating by shortly playing him in another position (for instance amr/l or sc). Hope this helps.

Archived