Do selling clubs reach a point to stop selling?

I have been the manager of Burnley going into my 8th season now, it took me 5 seasons before I made the move upto the premiership. Although from day 1 the board have accepted offers that they deem too good to turn down such as:

C.Eagles 4million - Bolton (2nd season)

C.McCann 2.2million - Stoke (2nd season)

K.McDonald 2.4million - Birmingham (3rd season)

D.Franklin (regen 19yrs old wonderkid england u21 regular) 21million - Inter (6th season)

N.Duncan (regen 18yrs old wonderkid england regular) 21million - Real Madrid (7th season)

Now I have never spent even half of the money I have brought in which shows in my overall tally:

total spent 68million

total received 150million

This leaves the club with 50million in the bank, and me as usual searching round the U19, U21, U23 squads of the national teams to find new talent.

My season results have been:

08/09 - 17th 57pts

09/10 - 11th 73pts

10/11 - 6th 76pts

11/12 - 6th 79pts

12/13 - 2nd 91pts

13/14 - 15th 37pts

14/15 - 9th 57pts and an FA cup final defeat

What I want to know as the subject says is when will the board not want to sell the best players and has anyone else come across this issue?

Thanks and I look forward to any input and response.

BFC forever

Board ambition and club reputation would be factors in this, but it's very difficult to give you any difinitive answer. The sales in season 6 and 7, are for a lot of money and many boards would be willing to step in, no matter how good your reputation is, Diarra to Real from Portsmouth is a recent example of this.

I think the chirman has an 'interference' attribute, or something similar, that helps determine how likely they are to step in and sell your players from under you.

If that attribute is high then they are more likely to sell players if they feel the offer is good. However, as the reputation of your club grows you should find that this happens less and less.

My advice would be to not up the value of your players, and rather than trying to price players out of moves by upping their value, leave it as it is and simply reject offers. This lowers the chances of clubs bidding larger amounts for them and in turn lowers the chance of your chairman accepting those bids.

ha well noticed, i have now updated it even though 37 is still not a great tally to end 15th

Well I made it into the EPL in my second season and every season 30 points has achieved safety. The bottom three in my games at least are normally awful and on FM09 in my experience you don't need anywhere near the 42 poitns you'd need in real life.

I haven't had any problems with my board selling players over my head. No one has bid over £15m for any of my players though, I'd imagine that a £20m+ bid would result in the board selling even though I am now a top half of the tabel team and competing in the UEFA cup. Maybe if you hit the level of the top 4 they'd stop doing it, or at least they'd only do it a level that rarely affected you.

Well I made it into the EPL in my second season and every season 30 points has achieved safety. The bottom three in my games at least are normally awful and on FM09 in my experience you don't need anywhere near the 42 poitns you'd need in real life.

I haven't had any problems with my board selling players over my head. No one has bid over £15m for any of my players though, I'd imagine that a £20m+ bid would result in the board selling even though I am now a top half of the tabel team and competing in the UEFA cup. Maybe if you hit the level of the top 4 they'd stop doing it, or at least they'd only do it a level that rarely affected you.

Thanks for the comment Katarian, what team are you in charge of? I hope they stop soon, although I havent had any real cup runs what so ever - apart from last years FA final i hadnt even made a quarter final before. I thought I would be fine as there is plenty of cash in the bank. Im worried though because teams are now bidding around 15million and announcing their interest in Helder Barbosa constantly.

I was Norwich City FC. So the club did have some big debts, but I think I got taken over at one point so that might be why the board aren't selling players. The game certainly doesn't model Norwich's financial problems very well.

I'd agree to almost any fee over £20m anyway, I could get in 4-5 new players for that. The only reason I have rejected fees close to £20m is they didn't have a sell on fee.

Archived