Board Expectations of New Managers

A couple of interesting points I picked up from playing last night.

Was in 2014 with Man City when I decided to sell all of my players and start from scratch by only buying young very promising English players, convinced that I could raise the next England starting 11 and have them playing week in week out together.

It didn't work and I got sacked in October.

I took over Liverpool as Man City hired Benitez.

In the competition section of the confidence section the board said they weren't judging my performance in the UEFA cup or the League position for that season, presumably because Liverpool were doing so poorly in both that it would be harsh to judge me on having to take over. Which is all good for me.

Unfortunately the same didn't seem to apply to Man Citys view of the new AI manager. And Benitez got sacked a month later due to poor league results. Man City then hired one Arsene Wenger, who also got sacked after a month because of poor league results - both because of the poor squad I left behind!

They now have some random spanish manager in charge and we've jstu hit January and they're buying a new world class team from scratch.

Interesting that even by October Liverpool board weren't going to judge me on league position, but the Man City one wanted instant success with a team that none of the new managers could improve until January.

I guess this is just an example of how the game reacts badly to odd situations such as selling all your players and replacing them with lesser quality players. The board wouldn't have lowered their expectations for the season when you changed your squad as they were unaware of your plan, which put the new managers in an awkward situation. While they may not have been judged on their league position, they were probably being judged on their results compared to the board's old high expectations.

Expectations are based on reputation rather than player quality.

Yeah I know that, and I know that there are problems with expectations not changing throughout the season. The issue here is that one board are happy to not judge me on my performance, whereas another at the same time in the season still wanted their original expectations.

I think the board are treating league position and results as two different things, even though they are obviously linked. Those manager who took over Man City were never going to reach the position that was predicted in the league but the high expectations of the board meant they still expected good results. I don't think the board are going to lower their expectations just because you decided to sell all your players.

Archived