Filter out unrealistic targets

How exactly?

From time to time the list will include unrealistic prospects, that have no interest in signing for your club. Perhaps that's what he means, although he seems to be ignoring the possibility that assistant managers can make mistakes and expects them to provide a magical list of players who will definately sign for your club.

This filter doesn't work properly.

For me it does' date=' I do try to sing some of these players, but as the Captain mentioned:

I have signed one or two, but mainly by offering them stupidly large contracts and when offering them the contract the message is that they aren't interested in a move, which I guess is what makes the assistant think they are an unrealistic target.

They don't want to come to me, which is fair, don't often happen that "Big" players come to Holland from Spain, Uk, Italy or so (unless they are not playing much at there former clubs like Gabri, Oleguer or to come back to there home nation like Stam).

This filter doesn't work properly.

I've always assumed that because it was my assistant who was doing it, the list would only be as accurate as he could make it. It would be interesting to see what the list is like when compiled by a 'perfect' assistant created using the editor. Perhaps someone could test it out.

Perhaps that's what he means, although he seems to be ignoring the possibility that assistant managers can make mistakes and expects them to provide a magical list of players who will definately sign for your club.

Well he's filtering a magical list in the first place. How many managers can get an immediate list of strikers anywhere in the world with finishing of 17 minimum for example.

Well he's filtering a magical list in the first place. How many managers can get an immediate list of strikers anywhere in the world with finishing of 17 minimum for example.

A majority of them could. They would ask their assistant to compile a list of players who they believe to have finishing of a certain standard and the assistant would provide that list. How culd this be represented in FM without a magical list?

Tried it daffy and it still leaves out realistic targets.

Also ask the assman to filter for ENGLISH language and see how many DON'T speak English.

Put bluntly - It needs fixing and vastly improving.

By improving I mean a lot more such as "reputation" should be filterable as should the ability to see filtered results together. I.e if I search for a player with 15+ for say Marking, Tackling and pace. I should be able to then see the list as: -

Name: Marking; Tackling; Pace.

FM09 is not exactly user friendly.

You've never had a player on the list who is an unrealistic target?

Unrealistic could mean anything, from not being interested to expecting unrealistic wages.

Nope, never. :(

Although whilst I do play the game an awful lot, I'm quite overly picky about players that I buy, maybe that's a reason.

Does it happen often to other people?

Tried it daffy and it still leaves out realistic targets.

Also ask the assman to filter for ENGLISH language and see how many DON'T speak English.

Put bluntly - It needs fixing and vastly improving.

By improving I mean a lot more such as "reputation" should be filterable as should the ability to see filtered results together. I.e if I search for a player with 15+ for say Marking' date=' Tackling and pace. I should be able to then see the list as: -

FM09 is not exactly user friendly.[/quote']

Maybe this is purposeful then, just to make the point that a perfect list is very realistic.

The 'view by filtered info' idea is a good idea.

I'm wondering whether is might be possible to create our own player search view in the same way we can edit certain other screens using the xml files.

By improving I mean a lot more such as "reputation" should be filterable as should the ability to see filtered results together. I.e if I search for a player with 15+ for say Marking' date=' Tackling and pace. I should be able to then see the list as: -

FM09 is not exactly user friendly.[/quote']

I've raised that as a future suggestion and I believe they're looking in to it.

Customisable filter headings would be very handy. But it's hardly a game breaker.

Maybe this is purposeful then, just to make the point that a perfect list is very realistic.

The 'view by filtered info' idea is a good idea.

I'm wondering whether is might be possible to create our own player search view in the same way we can edit certain other screens using the xml files.

I've asked about this and tried to do it myself but have had no luck. :thdn:

From time to time the list will include unrealistic prospects, that have no interest in signing for your club. Perhaps that's what he means, although he seems to be ignoring the possibility that assistant managers can make mistakes and expects them to provide a magical list of players who will definately sign for your club.
A majority of them could. They would ask their assistant to compile a list of players who they believe to have finishing of a certain standard and the assistant would provide that list. How culd this be represented in FM without a magical list?

It would take quite some time for an Assistant to compile a list like that but my issue is not with that it's that if you can get that list immediately and it is accurate then I would also expect the filter to be just as accurate. The player search is not considered realistic by the LLM guys and they've been discussing whats realistic and whats not for a long time.

It would take quite some time for an Assistant to compile a list like that but my issue is not with that it's that if you can get that list immediately and it is accurate then I would also expect the filter to be just as accurate. The player search is not considered realistic by the LLM guys and they've been discussing whats realistic and whats not for a long time.

Good for them, you're mistaking doing something for a long time with doing something well and how long they have been discussing this doesn't make my opinion any less valid.

You're right, that it's unrealistic that you get a list of players immediately and such a comprehensive list, but i'm still waiting for a more realistic sugegstion.

The player search screen is a lot more realistic than it used to be though. In past versions it literally was a list of players in the game, which I think was a bit unrealistic. The current version of the player search screen limits the results to players who would likely be within the knowledge base of your club, depending on your scouting knowledge.

You're right, that it's unrealistic that you get a list of players immediately and such a comprehensive list, but i'm still waiting for a more realistic sugegstion.

There is a realistic option. You send your scouts out to find you players. Anyway thats another discussion I was simply saying that if you can get this list and it's accurate, realistic or not, then I think it's fair to expect the filter to be just as accurate. If it's not it probably needs fixing.

There is a realistic option. You send your scouts out to find you players. Anyway thats another discussion I was simply saying that if you can get this list and it's accurate, realistic or not, then I think it's fair to expect the filter to be just as accurate. If it's not it probably needs fixing.

That's just making an unrealistic feature even more unrealistic. The current system makes the bes tof a bad job and, until SI improve it, i'm happy with it being unrealistic, but not super unrealistic.

Not sure what you mean here. Do you mean making the filter accurate would make it more unrealistic?

Yes, assistant managers should be capable of making mistakes and the fact that they make mistakes is one of the few realistic aspects of thsi unrealistic feature. If you were to have the assistant provide a list of guaranteed signings, that would be making an unrealistic feature even more urnealistic.

As Dafuge hinted at earlier, the quality and accuracy of the list should be based on your assistants attributes.

Yes, assistant managers should be capable of making mistakes and the fact that they make mistakes is one of the few realistic aspects of thsi unrealistic feature. If you were to have the assistant provide a list of guaranteed signings, that would be making an unrealistic feature even more urnealistic.

As Dafuge hinted at earlier, the quality and accuracy of the list should be based on your assistants attributes.

Yes I agree that would be ideal. A lot of what you think should depend on assman attributes tend to disappoint. One example is my assman with 17 motivation giving a team talk that had half the team confused and angry. Hilarious and annoying at the same time :)

There is a realistic option. You send your scouts out to find you players.

While this is part of the job of a scout, scouts also look at particular players as instructed by the manager, which the player search allows the manager to do.

This is an interesting article about the role of a scout, the bit at the bottom is particularly interesting:

I also used a computer database of 70,000 footballers, which could immediately call up all their statistics for the last four years.

While this is part of the job of a scout, scouts also look at particular players as instructed by the manager, which the player search allows the manager to do.

Yeah I know but I prefer the LLM way if you know what I mean. I've always found it better relying on scouts to find players. It feels more real to me. If I see rumours about a player or someone plays well against me I can scout them too as per what you say above. I have started to use the search a bit recently because the scouting stopped finding real gems if you know what I mean. I'm about 11 seasons into my save and the scouting has seemed to me to get worse every season. I'm in the championship now and the scouts (with good ability and potential ability attributes I might add) are highly recommending players who would be good signings for League 1 which is a bit frustrating. You tend to get better results if you send them after players in a specific position.

Interesting about the database. Didn't SI do a deal with Everton to give them their database which would suggest to me that it's not a given that all clubs have access to some huge list of players. It would be amusing if a later version of FM included the option for the club to buy/licence the FM database which would only then give you the player search option :)

Has anyone found that they can actually sign players who are filtered out by the 'unrealistic target' tick box?

It does make it easier to see players you have a better chance of signing, but i wonder if i might be missing out on better players.

yep. but i think your mistaking the 'unrealistic targets' section to only mean those that are too good or wouldn't want to join you.

from what i can see it also gets rid of those that are not good enough for your club

From my experiences (long time user, but newer to the forums), those players that are included in the search when the "filter out unrealistic targets" box is ticked are those that would have "Player X would be interested in joining our club," or "Player X would be very interested in joining our club." Any players that have "some interest," or lower ("would not be interested," or "would have no intention"), are those that are filtered out. Not sure why that is, because I have, on occasion, gone after players of the "some interest" variety, as long as their wage demands were in keeping with my budget. Just my 2 cents :)

Yeah it can be a bit dodgy when you ask to filter out unrealisic targets. I remember when being at notts county, i had a scottish ass man, and always when he was filtering the targets, there were at least as many scottish players then there were english players, which was a bit odd (and annoying) to say the least!

Archived