Putting players on the goalposts

I often get messages from my ass man during the game which I have no idea how to resolve. Three of the most common are:

There is too big a space between your defence and midfield and we are being exploited.

and

We should put men on our goalposts when defending corners.

and

We shouldn't put so many people up for corners as we could get caught on the counter attack.

Or something along those lines. However, I have had a look around in all the tactical options, and don't understand how to fix these. the first one could be to do with arrows I guess, but I've not seen anywhere that says about attacking or defending corners. Anyone have any ideas? Cheers.

First one can be fixed with a heck of a lot of trial-and-error adjusting of mentality (unintuitive, I know).

I think the other two relate to individual player instructions, which contain options as to their positioning for attacking and defending corners.

The first one deals with how far your defense is, or in this case, is not pushing up. That can be adjusted on a slider in "Team Instructions."

Men on goal posts is found in "Player Instructions." Pick the player you wish to mark a post and set it to "Mark near/far post" under Defend in set pieces.

The third is similar. You can set tactics for attacking corners under "Player Instructions." You should set several players to stay back under Attack in set pieces.

I often get messages from my ass man during the game which I have no idea how to resolve. Three of the most common are:

There is too big a space between your defence and midfield and we are being exploited.

and

We should put men on our goalposts when defending corners.

and

We shouldn't put so many people up for corners as we could get caught on the counter attack.

Or something along those lines. However, I have had a look around in all the tactical options, and don't understand how to fix these. the first one could be to do with arrows I guess, but I've not seen anywhere that says about attacking or defending corners. Anyone have any ideas? Cheers.

For the gap b/w def/midfield/attack check the mentality of individual players. There should not be a gap of more than 3-4 notches in the slider between the highest mentality(attacking) and the lowest mentality from attack to midfield and from midfield to defence. I generally keep it within 3 notches. (Note you have to check individual player instructions and not the team instructions)

Player instructions can be chosen from the drop down box (its at team instructions by default I think at the tactic screen). In the same screen (player instructions) you can set the individual instructions for players at attacking/defending corners. To put players at goal post, choose the player and go to the defending corner option and choose the option from drop down menu. Similar options for keeping players back in attacking corner option.

Can't give exact step by step instructions as am at work and don't have access to the game :D

Hope this helps

Thanks a lot for the help guys. Who do you generally choose to mark the posts for corners? Full backs? Or shortest team members?

I usually set my fullbacks to stand at the posts. If my fullbacks happen to be good at jumping and are thus better suited at man-marking, I switch them out for my midfielders with a jumping attribute of lesser value.

Archived