Will a player lose his "natural position"?

Not bad I didn't realise that soem players could make a learned position natural, only seen some become accomplished, but depending on their attributes and whether they played a lto in the position I retrained them in, it took longer/shorter periods of time to adapt to that position. Adaptability/Versatility porbably play the biggest parts I believe?

its silly, you shouldnt be able to lose something that is now "natural" --whether the player learned it as a kid back in the day or through X amount of time training last year to play there.

otherwise, what is the point of trying to get someone to natural, you spend 10% of training for lets say 2 years, when you could use that 10% to improve quicker in those 2 years (im talking about things like MR's playing AMR etc)

Brian Shanahan, what about players like Thierry Henry? He started out playing on the wing, and then moved to playing as a Striker. Are you saying that he shouldn't ever become natural at playing as a Striker, just because he started out on the wing? Sometimes players are best in positions other than the ones they played in at the start of the game.

Yes. I've trained him over two seasons.

Then you'll need to keep playing him and training him at said position to keep him there.

Depending on his versatility, it'll vary how long it takes to "lose" his new natural position.

Logically, if you've re-trained a player to a new position, and they've learnt to be natural at it, then they shouldn't need more position training for that particular position, no? It's different if they're less attuned to the position, and get only an accomplished at most in that position, but for a natural, it should not require more training for that position to keep it, as the player has already become so attuned to the position he doesn't require training or thought to play there. For example if you have a striker, you don't have to keep training him in that position for him to keep it correct? That's because he's natural in that position.

Brian Shanahan, what about players like Thierry Henry? He started out playing on the wing, and then moved to playing as a Striker. Are you saying that he shouldn't ever become natural at playing as a Striker, just because he started out on the wing? Sometimes players are best in positions other than the ones they played in at the start of the game.
Henry was a striker as a kid, but when he started out as a professional at Monaco Wenger stuck him on the wing because he felt Henry's skills would see him do well there. Henry was a natural striker, played up front as a boy, was used as a winger in his early pro years, then used as a striker in later years.

Equally, the same thing can be done (quite easily too, deliberately or otherwise) in FM. I'm playing as Dover, and I got a regen who spent his youth at Tottenham. He's a natural AMC, but is accomplished at AMR, MC and MR as well. He never got a (competitive) game for Spurs. He's played 8 games for me in the two months since signing him, and in every single one he's been used in an MR position; he's got the highest average rating for any player in the squad who's played 5+ games, too, so he must be doing something right in that position. Does the fact that I've been using him exclusively as an MR detract from the fact that he is naturally an AMC? No. Would he be competent as an AMC? Most assuredly yes...it's just that I'm a bit short on wingers and have an abundance of MCs so I don't need to play him in that role.

Same can also be said of myself, in fact. I prefer to play in a DMC role, but am also comfortable as a DC, DR or MR. However, when I played football and lacrosse at uni, we lacked people in the squads who could (or would) play on the left side, so I stepped in and played most games in both sports as a DL (sometimes ML in football, as I was very good at crossing the ball). Just because I always played competitively on the left wing by no means indicates that I was a natural there.

Agreed with Dalimyr, I played on the right wing in shcool, but was converted to a left winger due to a dirth of left footed players, even played at leftback cos of my(then) high workrate. So I suppose I can naturally now play either wing, when in fact I started off playing only on the right. I didn't need to constantly learn the "new" position of the left wing, as I'd already trained at it for a time, and was good at it, and played there a lot.

Then you'll need to keep playing him and training him at said position to keep him there.

Depending on his versatility, it'll vary how long it takes to "lose" his new natural position.

wouldnt that logic also then apply for natural positions that are set at the start too then? if player X can play at DMC and AMC, if you're not playing him at DMC, then by your logic, he should lose DMC even though he started with it but hes not playing there anymore, right?

what difference does it matter if he learned to be a natural at a position 5-10 years ago, or 1 day ago --you shouldnt be able to lose it when you get to "natural" -else take it out and leave accomplished as the best you can train someone up to imo.

Henry was a striker as a kid, but when he started out as a professional at Monaco Wenger stuck him on the wing because he felt Henry's skills would see him do well there. Henry was a natural striker, played up front as a boy, was used as a winger in his early pro years, then used as a striker in later years

People always throw the old "Henry was a winger" thing in the hat during this topic. I am glad you know what you are talking about. Wenger dies this a lot, playing people out of natural positions to give them experience, but without the pressure.

Its the same with Theo Walcot. Wenger quite often mentions that he sees walcot a striker and he is only paying him on the wing to get experience, but not have the pressure of needing to score goals. Then you get people saying that right wing is his natural position - rubbish!

I also seem to recal Toure playing in every position on the pitch before one day wenger put him in a CB and everyone was thinking "Toure? CB? Are you sure, e was playing left wing last week". Then he showed that CB was his poition.

Anyway, back on topic ...... actually, i have nothing to add to the topic. Thanks.

Archived