Football Manager 2009 On PC has became unplayable for me

mg92

I have gave it try after try. Tactic after tactic. Laptop after laptop (seen as i actually smashed my 1st one up in anger). its the first football manager i actually hate. its just not enjoyable. when i finally think im getting into it i get really random results like 5-0 home defeats to releagtion strugglers and it sends me mad!

I have gone back to the handheld version now as its far more enjoyable, and after all thats what i want from a manager game. I dont want a game thats computer clearly randomly decides whether your going to win a game or not or makes you go online and get some other peoples tactics to make sure you can win a few games, ITS REDICULOUS

I really hope they sort it out next year or this series is going to end

I have to agree. Tactically this game is another step forward. In the past versions once you have found a working tactic you could more or less play away and by the time you'd bought up the best players you were set for success.

I have struggled to really grasp the tactical approach but with help from the guys in the tactic and training forums it makes a bit more sense and i feel realistic results can be achieved.

I understand your comments there are a lot of people who just want to play the game for fun and not spend hours having to work out every little move and then there are those of us who want a realistic simulation. I mean we cant all play the Arsenal way on a muddy pitch in january and expect to hammer the opposition. You need to tweak depending on circumstances as every good manager irl will.

You have made up your mind not to play anymore and thats your choice. But i dont really think making the game easier to play is the answer otherwise we will all be here in 12 months time complaining the game is to easy to win and if its not sorted out then the series is going to end!!!

Laptop after laptop (seen as i actually smashed my 1st one up in anger).

You should probably go the doctor if a game gets you that mad. He might prescribe something.

As for your comments, I really don't get it. If your squad is good enough slightly tweaked default tactics work fine for me. If your squad isn't good enough to 'win everything' then slightly tweaked defensive default tactics should keep you up. Not sure what your aims on the game are.

Perhaps a deep breath and then download patch 9.0.3 when it comes out - see if that helps.

I really don't think the game randomly decides that you're going to lose mate...

Teams win and teams lose, it happens!

Enjoy the fact that the game is at least realistic in that respect instead of just winning every game. Yes, you're saying you've lost by significant margins to relegation strugglers, who cares, they need results too and they obviously deserved it.

Also, I sugest being locked up for a while, you know in a looney bin, if you really smashed a computer because you were losing...

i agree with the original poster.

this is the most infuriating version of FM i've ever played, and i've played most of them.

the AI just decides to screw you over in the most ridiculous ways and its completely unrealistic.

for example, one season as i was coming into the business end of the season, i was doing WAY too well for the side i was managing, so the AI decides to put 3 orf my players out for at least 6 months with injuries.

next season, game BEFORE the italian cup final, i end up playing a 4-2-2 formation because several of my players got injured.

ridiculous.

Perhaps if you ask for some advice in the tactics/training boards, you might some good tips/pointers.

I appreciate some don't want to spend time doing this and want to just pick up and play, but it's a heck of a lot better than smashing a laptop through frustration.

I maybe took 30 minutes out my life to look around(I didn't even have to ask the threads were already there) and now the game is much more enjoyable than it was when I bought it, it just takes a little more understanding than before. (which is a topic for another day)

i agree with the original poster.

this is the most infuriating version of FM i've ever played, and i've played most of them.

the AI just decides to screw you over in the most ridiculous ways and its completely unrealistic.

for example, one season as i was coming into the business end of the season, i was doing WAY too well for the side i was managing, so the AI decides to put 3 orf my players out for at least 6 months with injuries.

next season, game BEFORE the italian cup final, i end up playing a 4-2-2 formation because several of my players got injured.

ridiculous.

You have 1 example of a bad injury crisis, wow hard proof that the game cheats:rolleyes:

There are many sucessful managers using all sorts of different tatics in the real world. Most of these managers stick to one style of football for 90% of their matches. You can't do this in fm09. It's the first game in the series no matter who I sign I can't get consistant results using my prefered tatics (lower divisions)

There are many sucessful managers using all sorts of different tatics in the real world. Most of these managers stick to one style of football for 90% of their matches. You can't do this in fm09. It's the first game in the series no matter who I sign I can't get consistant results using my prefered tatics (lower divisions)

I have 2 tactics using the same formation, successful for Rangers, Spurs and Leeds in my current saves. I just adjust some player mentality and forward run instructions, as most managers might do irl depending on opposition.

So someone's done a comprehensive study on that eh?

You have to prepare your players to play in a different way for each match, you cant send your players out week after week playing the same tactic, managers would simply pick this up and undo your tactics in 2 minutes. Vary it, tinker with it, yeah you will lose some, and you will win some. Just have to play with the tactics a bit.

As for smashing your laptop, dude seriously if it gets to you that much you need to go to anger management.

this game was definately the worse version ever until the .2 patch which seems to have sorted out the problems for me. i sympathise with your laptop smashing anger, games can get you like that. i have managed to control myself since as a kid i smashed a game and watch into a million pieces in a fit of rage and flushed it down the toilet. ten minutes later i wanted another go and regreted my decision.

I've really loved FM09, 08 was really good but like someone previously said it was too easy. I've been fairly successful with the games I've had so far, granted I've had some shocking results that get me really mad at players (to the point of transfer listing them because of their ineptness). The game should make you get annoyed at some points and challenge you. A game without any challenge is just boring.

As for tactics I have a few formations (4-4-2, 4-2-2-2 and 4-2-3-1) that I use, all with similar tactics and just tweaked to the specific formation and opponent. This year I've actually enjoyed pre-season to be able to test out things by trying a formation/tactic out against a weaker and similar strength/slightly weaker side. It has helped me a lot to get the right tactics.

I've used the same tactic for about 20 seasons now, by slowly improving the squad I've managed to consistently take the club forward without any changes to the tactics at all.

I've used the same tactic for about 20 seasons now, by slowly improving the squad I've managed to consistently take the club forward without any changes to the tactics at all.

Same with me more or less. I actually don't find the tactics that much of a problem - its more finding the right players to fit the system

So someone's done a comprehensive study on that eh?

Actually, to a larger extent this is indeed true, I can't vouch for all leagues, but for the ones I research I can guarantee you that the formation, instructions and players are pretty much the same.

You have to prepare your players to play in a different way for each match, you cant send your players out week after week playing the same tactic, managers would simply pick this up and undo your tactics in 2 minutes.

LOL, how exactly they would undo it in 2 minutes?

You have to prepare your players to play in a different way for each match, you cant send your players out week after week playing the same tactic, managers would simply pick this up and undo your tactics in 2 minutes. Vary it, tinker with it, yeah you will lose some, and you will win some. Just have to play with the tactics a bit.

I don't agree with this at all. While you might be able to do better by adjusting your tactics for every game it is more than possible to be successful using the same tactics every match.

I have gave it try after try. Tactic after tactic. Laptop after laptop (seen as i actually smashed my 1st one up in anger). its the first football manager i actually hate. its just not enjoyable. when i finally think im getting into it i get really random results like 5-0 home defeats to releagtion strugglers and it sends me mad!

I have gone back to the handheld version now as its far more enjoyable, and after all thats what i want from a manager game. I dont want a game thats computer clearly randomly decides whether your going to win a game or not or makes you go online and get some other peoples tactics to make sure you can win a few games, ITS REDICULOUS

Disagree totally - fun game with a couple minor bugs.

Tactic changes slightly every half season.

That is certainly possible in 07. I've found it quite a bit harder on newer versions.

You smashed up your laptop because of a game?

Don't buy FM10, save the money and put it towards some psychiatric help.

LOL

I think the game does cheat to some extent and SI have tacitly admitted it. They acknowledge that they want realistic tables. Therefor they have to add artificial coefficients into the ME so that it spits out realistic looking results. If this game was truly tactically better, then why not ditch the emphasis on realistic looking tables and let tactics alone be the deciding factor in winning or losing?

That is certainly possible in 07. I've found it quite a bit harder on newer versions.

It's definitely harder than it used to be but it is definitely still possible. I can no longer go a Premier League season unbeaten as I could with FM06, that is probably a good thing though.

There are many sucessful managers using all sorts of different tatics in the real world. Most of these managers stick to one style of football for 90% of their matches. You can't do this in fm09.

YES you can do this in FM. Why is that so hard for people to grasp? I have been using the same 2 tactics (a simple balanced 4-4-2 and a counter-attacking 4-4-1-1) for many many seasons on the game. I have won titles in several countries, domestic cups, European cups.

It has been possible to do this on every version of FM ever, and it is still possible to do this on FM09. If anything I wish it was a little harder to hit on a tactic that is successful, as it does detract a little from the challenge.

More than ever before, the key to success is consistency and patience. Consistency in the squad (i.e. harmony) and consitency in the tactics. How many threads have you seen where someone will say "I've tried hundreds of different tactics and I can't win". Really? Well what a surprise!!

You need to be patient too. When I create a new tactic, I fully expect that it will take up to half a season, or even a full season before my team really settles into it and gets to grips with how the system works and what I want them to do.

Consistency and patience. If you can resist the urge to keep changing your tactics and actually give your players a chance to get used to it, you may well be surprised, and you may well start enjoying the game and the tactical side of it.

Usual thing - you have to change tactics...oh no you don't, you have to keep them the same.... you can use the same 2 tactics for loads of seasons....oh no you can't, the AI managers would pick up your ideas and counter them in 2 minutes.......

All this isn't very helpful to the poor old OP!

How do you help someone that hasn't really explained what's wrong?

Well I think he's fed up that none of the tactics seem to work for him consistently. And he's getting the usual conflicting advice about what to do about it.

Of course, it might well be that actually there isn't a lot that he can do because of the way the game seems to work.

Well I think he's fed up that none of the tactics seem to work for him consistently. And he's getting the usual conflicting advice about what to do about it.

Of course, it might well be that actually there isn't a lot that he can do because of the way the game seems to work.

Nevertheless advice is advice and people should be grateful that others have taken the time to give it, instead of complaining because they don't think it's right.

Well one should certainly always be grateful for good advice. The only trouble is that there is conflicting advice here and so some of it must be bad and there's no way of knowing which is which.....

Well one should certainly always be grateful for good advice. The only trouble is that there is conflicting advice here and so some of it must be bad and there's no way of knowing which is which.....

It may be conflicting, that's not to say that one is wrong though. People play the game in different ways and achieve sucess in different ways, if it works for them and they offer it as advice, who are we to tell them that they are wrong.

That is not the case. I use one tactic all the time on my save game and I've won the last three premier league titles, two champions leagues and the world club championship within three seasons. It took me a while to build my team up (Hull City) but I only ever use the same tactic and it works just fine.

Having said that - I did luck out a bit in finding the tactic - it was originally a downloaded tactic that was not working how I wanted it, so I tweaked it a little and it just worked. Personally I'm not a great fan of the tactics on this game either, they have become far too convoluted - but then these forums exist with people posting good tactics...so whilst my suggestion might not be that helpful, just keep trying and hopefully you'll find one that works for you.

It may be conflicting, that's not to say that one is wrong though. People play the game in different ways and achieve sucess in different ways, if it works for them and they offer it as advice, who are we to tell them that they are wrong.

Well it does seem a bit hard to believe 1) that you need to change tactics a lot and 2) that you mustn't change tactics a lot at the same time.

If both sides are getting success, it suggests to me that they are both wrong and that it doesn't matter whether you change tactics or not.....:confused:

Well it does seem a bit hard to believe 1) that you need to change tactics a lot and 2) that you mustn't change tactics a lot at the same time.

If both sides are getting success, it suggests to me that they are both wrong and that it doesn't matter whether you change tactics or not.....:confused:

Surely it isn't as easy as saying one is right and one is wrong. It would depend on the team, the players, the tactics etc etc.

You're right, in that you can't say which is right because there are too many variables to take into account, but byt that logic, you can't say which, if any, is wrong! ;)

Surely it isn't as easy as saying one is right and one is wrong. It would depend on the team, the players, the tactics etc etc.

You're right, in that you can't say which is right because there are too many variables to take into account, but byt that logic, you can't say which, if any, is wrong! ;)

Hmmm, now I am more confused than ever! :confused: :confused:

My poor head hurts!! :(

Going to lie down in a darkened room for a bit......

Just stick to your handheld then if FM09 on PC is too hard for you.

Not everyone is cut out to be a manager :-)

Hmmm, now I am more confused than ever! :confused: :confused:

My poor head hurts!! :(

Going to lie down in a darkened room for a bit......

:D Sorry.

Both sets of advice can work in different situations, it isn't as easy as saying one must be wrong because they are conflicting, there are a number of variables to take into acount.

Player A is managing Chelsea and they use only one tactic, never tweak it. As far as they are concerned, their advice is good advice. Player B is managing Blackburn and has to tweak depending on the opposition. As far as they are concerned, their advice is good advice.

Neither set of advice is wrong, and is dependent on a lot of factors that we aren't necessarily privvy to, so we can't say they are wrong. The fact that it works for them, means that they are right.

However, they are wrong in the assumption that their advice will definately help someone and as such shouldn't be dismissive of people's issues.

People want to win games, but they want to feel like they've earned the right to win them.

You just copy and paste that into wherever it's relevant, don't you? :D

To the OP:

Give every tactic about ten matches.

If it works, keep it.

If it doesn't, change it.

If it sort of works, tweak it a bit.

Archived