14 -

13 -

12 - (I'm not sure)

11 -

10 - (is this the average?)

9 -

8 -

7 -

6 - (I like them slightly less than the option above)

5 -

4 -

3 -

2 -

1 - (Please please return to the old system...)

What I was trying to say in an ironic way (sheesh! some people wouldn't get irony if you shoved a 6-foot iron bar up their bums) was:- what was wrong with the old system? All you did was select the option you wanted from a tab and everything was clear and intuitive:-

instr.jpg

Thought I'd make my comment about the sliders in this thread.

The thing I want to add is that how many people really know what the sliders in their tactics mean? Do you think their are managers (IRL) up and down the country going - right team, I want to play short passing 6/20. What does is mean - whats the difference between 1 and 5 - they're both labelled 'short' - whats the difference. Similarly with the defensive line.

The individual player tactics made more sense - long range shooting rarely, mixed or often. If your a manager (IRL again) - thats makes sense, if your talking to a midfielder you'd probably only say one of those three things.

And to training. Even worse in my opinion. What on earth do the sliders mean. To the average user - no actually, to any user, its non understandable. The more experienced user may know how to manipulate those sliders into getting improved stats - but it doesn't strike of a "management experience". Does anyone on here really think that Sir Alex Ferguson goes into training on a monday and moves a few sliders around on a board and goes to his coaches "right - thats how I want you to manage Cristiano's training routine this week".

For me, those along with the transfer system (overall this year to be fair - still has many problems but its on the right track) are the three key features on the game, and in my opinion, SI are getting two of them really wrong.

The mentality slider causes the most problems at least with people understanding it.

Would be better if you could see a visual representation with the numbered shirts on the tactical screen.

e.g when setting 1 of your strikers to a slightly deeper starting role you could see that for every lowered click of the mentality slider the shirt would move lower slightly to represent the change.

The mentality slider causes the most problems at least with people understanding it.

Would be better if you could see a visual representation with the numbered shirts on the tactical screen.

e.g when setting 1 of your strikers to a slightly deeper starting role you could see that for every lowered click of the mentality slider the shirt would move lower slightly to represent the change.

I agree that a visual representation would be good. I also think that the mentality slider does too much. There's no reason you couldn't separate it into two sliders: one for position on the pitch, and the other for how ambitious the passing is.

I like the sliders, I just wish it was easier to understand what each of them do and how they interlink with other options in the tactical menu.

The whole "Managers don't say do this 6/20" argument is a poor one imo, because there are no numbers represented in the game, its only us on here who have come to refer to them as numbers. If the team was set to play short passing, but you thought they were playing it a bit too short, you can knock it up a couple of notches. With the simple "Direct, Long" options, you can't do that.

Something I don't like about the sliders is that they're labelled incorrectly. For example Mixed Passing doesn't mean Mixed. It means medium length. Similarly Closing Down Own Half doesn't mean close down in your own half. It means moderate closing down.

Personally I would like a list of text options rather than sliders, and they should do what they say.

10 maybe, old system perhaps a little to retrictive, new system too complicated.

What just occured to me recently is on the passing is why is mixed in the middle? surely the slider implies the general style of the passing from short passing to direct and long but mixed on the slider seems to imply mixed is between short and direct.

Surely mixed passing is a combination of all three which is decided on by the situation.

i think ridding the sldier system would cause a big overhaul of the game, which si will have to do eventually

FM09 supposedly has a new match engine, rather than a modified version of FM08. Therefore they should have done it for FM09 if they were going to at all.

I would like a visual discription for each notch...whats the difference to short passing 1 and 3? I don't know because they both say short. Mentality is a joke you should have...

Ultra-Defensive

Defensive

Fairly Defensive

Neutral

Fairly Attackive

Attackive

All-Out Attack

Thats seven options to choose from, not however much there currently is (ie: way too much). It is also much, much, much easier to decipher. I want to play an attackive style but want of my 2 strikers to drop in the whole, whilst the other to be on the last man...then I will choose Fairly Attacking and All-Out Attack respectively. Want one attack minded CM and one defense minded CM in neither an attackive or defensive style (IE: Neutral)...Fairly Attackive and Fairly Defensive respectively.

As it stand right now, the tactics screens is in desperate need of an overhaul. Way too complicated.

I am probably a 14 - The sliders can be confusing but there are little/no better alternatives to be honest. And btw Sad git - wouldn't have been easier to have done a proper poll on this?

Like someone else said before, you people really don't get the point of the poll.

It's the same as the sliders system.

I can say, for me, that the sliders ruined the game.

Archived