How to sell players - SOLUTION!!

Warning - this requires FMM. However, this is not straight up cheating. However, you may think differently =).

The Problem

-----------

For some iterations of FM, it has been very difficult to sell players. Wonderkids and superstars are easily sold for sky high fees, but mediocre rotation/backup players cannot be given away. You can transfer list them, set them to not needed and offer them for $0, but no one is interested.

The Root Cause

--------------

It's not that clubs don't want to pay for them, but these clubs are usually at a lower status. Players in FM has unrealistic high opinion of themselves. You can have backup players on a promotion-winning Championship team who, in the next season, believe they are too good to play anywhere but the EPL. Therefore, when offered out to clubs, there are no interest.

The Solution

------------

To correct this, you can use FMM to set Home Rep, Current Rep and World Rep to a low value. I usually just change the first number to 1. For example, 5550 --> 1550. Offer them out again and bids should come in. Now, you might not be able to sell over market value, but you will get realistic bids. After you sell them, you can edit their reps back to normal value.

Note to SI

----------

While you might not believe that the selling difficulty is an issue, many of us do find it incredibly unrealistic. Hopefully, this reveals the root cause and can be fixed in FM09.

Try it out and see if it works for you also. Remember, this isn't really a cheat that allows you to sell over market value. Rather, it makes player's expectations more realistic.

Warning - this requires FMM. However, this is not straight up cheating. However, you may think differently =).

The Problem

-----------

For some iterations of FM, it has been very difficult to sell players. Wonderkids and superstars are easily sold for sky high fees, but mediocre rotation/backup players cannot be given away. You can transfer list them, set them to not needed and offer them for $0, but no one is interested.

The Root Cause

--------------

It's not that clubs don't want to pay for them, but these clubs are usually at a lower status. Players in FM has unrealistic high opinion of themselves. You can have backup players on a promotion-winning Championship team who, in the next season, believe they are too good to play anywhere but the EPL. Therefore, when offered out to clubs, there are no interest.

The Solution

------------

To correct this, you can use FMM to set Home Rep, Current Rep and World Rep to a low value. I usually just change the first number to 1. For example, 5550 --> 1550. Offer them out again and bids should come in. Now, you might not be able to sell over market value, but you will get realistic bids. After you sell them, you can edit their reps back to normal value.

Note to SI

----------

While you might not believe that the selling difficulty is an issue, many of us do find it incredibly unrealistic. Hopefully, this reveals the root cause and can be fixed in FM09.

Try it out and see if it works for you also. Remember, this isn't really a cheat that allows you to sell over market value. Rather, it makes player's expectations more realistic.

Ahhh FMM, you glorious little thing. You allow my contract to magically extend by a few years when the board threaten to let me go despite achieving their objectives and now you allow me to sell players who should have clubs queing up for their signature.

If I didn't know better I'd think you were actually version 2.0.3, but you've too much quality to be an official release icon_frown.gif

I feel that some players are (realisticaly) difficult to sell because they are locking-in in our clubs to some really high wages, that even if you offer them for 0, other clubs will have no interest in getting them - ie, the CA they have does not justify the wage they are making.

I have the oppostie problem.

Diego is a good player but he is like 7th in the line in my team. But no club is ever interested in him.

The 2 seasons he did play regularly he scored 40 goals. But now no one wants him. He isn't that old.

I think to not call it cheating you do have to consider wages etc.

EG, if you sign on as Chelsea or Newcastle, there's a lot of dead weight such as Schevchenko & Makelele and Geremi & Duff, but they do earn a lot more than they deserve - at least if their ability on FM is anything to go by (Makelele is way underrated IMO).

But if you are trying to ditch good players on average wages (like Ameobi at Newcastle) or very good players who had a decent previous season (like Martins) it should be a bit easier to sell them.

I think the "route cause" as described has something to do with not being able to sell at £0 but is more to do with not allowing players to sign on as a manager and sell unwanted players within a few days - this would make the game much, much easier. Certainly if you started as - for example - Chelsea, you could sell Schevchenko, Kalou, Ferrera, Ben Haim, Ballack, as well as a few others, all at half price, and still double your transfer budget. Half an hour on these forums in the good player guide and you won't have to enter the transfer market for a good decade. And where's the fun in that?

But yes, it shouldn't be a blanket rule - selling your 34 year old, 4-paced, £2k a week AMC that carried your team up from the Champ to the Prem should be GRATEFUL for a £0 transfer - he can earn more if you do that. In fact, maybe a useful feature would be for the board (or ass man or player's agent) to ENCOURAGE you to give him a free as he's clearly too old to compete at this level? Just a thought.

Just to give some perspective. I sold 7 players once I discovered this. All 7 players have been on transfer list, status as "not needed" and offered to clubs for $0. Five of them have been in this status for over a season and have not seen any first team action. None of the players are > 120 CA. So they are Championship material at best.

All of them went to play for a lower league (Championship and SPL). However, all of them are actually making MORE after the transfer.

I did another test. I transfered list and offered for free one of my backups. No interests. Then I edited his contract to a really high wage. I also did the reputation trick as described in the first post. Offered for $0 again. This time - no bids. I can only attribute this to him not wanting to take a wage cut.

I put his contract back to normal. Offered him out and this time, plenty of bids. So wages are being considered here. IMO, this is solely based on the player thinking he's too good for a lower league.

I find to get rid of player's that are no longer wanted transfer list them set there price to £0 and when you have an interested club/s offer them to who ever is interested for a price of £0 and then an amount over6/12/18/24 months and you'll be suprised you get rid of them all day long and most times even more than they are worth and this is in no way cheating

Ie. jason roberts Blackburn £3.4 million set price as £0 transfer list him wait till a club is interested offer him buy now for £0 and £4.4 million over 12 months you will find they will come back with that offer and the good thing is the money goes straight onto your transfer balance but it wont show on your bank balance as it is over 12 months icon_biggrin.gif

The simple fact that we have to come up with "tricks" (or cheats, depending on your opinion) like the £0 up front and so much over 12/24 months, or using FMM to edit a players contract/rep shows that something really needs done in this particular dept of the game.

I don't understand why (and I've said it many times before) it is nigh-on impossible to actively sell players as easily and frequently as happens in real life.

I never see teams buying players by the lorry load, no reserve, no hot prospects, no back up, no nothing.

Most top teams make ONE SINGLE (often laughably unrealistic) signing per season, often in a position where said team was already very strong.

I just don't get it.

And the prices for players vary enormously between AI buying and player buying.

But that's another story.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Starr_Man5:

The simple fact that we have to come up with "tricks" (or cheats, depending on your opinion) like the £0 up front and so much over 12/24 months, or using FMM to edit a players contract/rep shows that something really needs done in this particular dept of the game.

I don't understand why (and I've said it many times before) it is nigh-on impossible to actively sell players as easily and frequently as happens in real life.

I never see teams buying players by the lorry load, no reserve, no hot prospects, no back up, no nothing.

Most top teams make ONE SINGLE (often laughably unrealistic) signing per season, often in a position where said team was already very strong.

I just don't get it.

And the prices for players vary enormously between AI buying and player buying.

But that's another story. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i agree but the £0 no upfront payment and what ever over time is definatley no cheat

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DrEdwierd:

What is FMM icon_frown.gif

Can someone explain to me how to do this???

NEWB^ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

FM Modifier. Its a save-game editor.

Its third-party software that you'd have to download, Google it I think.

Using it at all is against the ethos of the Lower League Managers forum; if you do download it, don't go post there. icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Amaroq:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DrEdwierd:

Using it at all is against the ethos of the Lower League Managers forum; if you do download it, don't go post there. icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

so is this differnt to the editor

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by srwlml23:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Amaroq:

Using it at all is against the ethos of the Lower League Managers forum; if you do download it, don't go post there. icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

so is this differnt to the editor </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes. Football manager Modifier can edit you current save game, wheras the editor can only edit the game before you start a new save game.

Is that clear or not?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by arsenal_2111:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by srwlml23:

so is this differnt to the editor </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes. Football manager Modifier can edit you current save game, wheras the editor can only edit the game before you start a new save game.

Is that clear or not? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

just wondering if there is a hint of attitude in there apologies if not!!!

Thats great, but im having serious problems selling decent and good premier league players for 0 pounds. The problem is that i probably have a fairly high club reputation and since the game is using some serious shortcuts in its algorithms the other teams don't bid for them. Its especially hard to sell players from smaller nations. Im sorry but in real life im sure pretty much every championship level club in Europe would bid for the player.

And before some fanboy says his wages are too high its not that. In that case you can still pay for the difference in his wage and i received no such offer for any of my players.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jakobx:

And before some fanboy says his wages are too high its not that. In that case you can still pay for the difference in his wage and i received no such offer for any of my players. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Although not conclusive, I have shown in a previous post that this rep editing trick will not work if the player's wage is too high. It's a simple fact that player's rep getting too high when their CA does not support it.

You can edit any player's rep to 9000 and they will be considered world-class, even though their CA = 100. This player will only consider the Barcelonas of the world. Good luck getting Barcelona to bid for a 100CA player.

I think the reputation variable needs to be toned down. One interesting method would be to gradually decrease the factor of reputation as players are placed on the transfer list.

For example, player A has 6000 rep and CA = 120. (This is consistent with the players I was trying to sell.) The first week, player A thinks he's too good for a lower league. But the longer he's on the transfer list and not playing games, his factoring of his rep decreases. After a month of no offers, he might consider top teams in a lower league. After 6 month, he'll go to any team in the lower league. His rep doesn't change; it stays at 6000. But the weighing of this rep decreases as long as his transfer listed and not playing.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by baz1:

I think it is easy to sell players if you offer them out for nothing.I sold Fletcher for 20 million pounds doing this. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

can u please elaborate on this?

is a players reputation linked to whether their considered continental or world class etc?

because i notice with the latest patch that the likes of steve finnan and benayoun are now classed as 'continental' when before they would be national. finnan at least would never get above national which is what he basically is.

i thought that they'd changed it so that reputation wasn't so linked to CA but i'm not sure.

an example of the problem is my experience with with luka modric.

i signed him for west ham at the beggining of the game. i played him for a couple of seasons and he did fairly well, but i kind of "outgrew" him as i managed to get in a few better players.

therefore i tried to offload him.

he spent 3 years in my reserves transfer listed with asking price £0 and no one was willing to take him off my hands. (yes i did regularly offer him to clubs at £0 price no-one was interested). I managed to loan him out to genoa for one of those years but despite playing well for them it did not encourage any offers. eventually his contract expired and he was snapped up by valencia.

can anyone tell me it is realistic that a decent versatile attacking midfielder who is of above the average premiereship standard, would not be snapped up if he was offered to clubs for free for several years?

the problem is the reputation system. irl after a year of being in the reserves he would happily move to a team fighting for suvival in the prem. in fm i expect no club of that type would put in a bid because they know they will be rejected. it is the computer equivelent of:

"filter out unrelaistic targets"

this means that a players can be stuck in transfer limbo for several years.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom Leeburn:

an example of the problem is my experience with with luka modric.

i signed him for west ham at the beggining of the game. i played him for a couple of seasons and he did fairly well, but i kind of "outgrew" him as i managed to get in a few better players.

therefore i tried to offload him.

he spent 3 years in my reserves transfer listed with asking price £0 and no one was willing to take him off my hands. (yes i did regularly offer him to clubs at £0 price no-one was interested). I managed to loan him out to genoa for one of those years but despite playing well for them it did not encourage any offers. eventually his contract expired and he was snapped up by valencia.

can anyone tell me it is realistic that a decent versatile attacking midfielder who is of above the average premiereship standard, would not be snapped up if he was offered to clubs for free for several years?

the problem is the reputation system. irl after a year of being in the reserves he would happily move to a team fighting for suvival in the prem. in fm i expect no club of that type would put in a bid because they know they will be rejected. it is the computer equivelent of:

"filter out unrelaistic targets"

this means that a players can be stuck in transfer limbo for several years. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

that is strange and i cant see any reason for your situation with modric.

personally i never drop a players status to not needed.

i always sell them as squad rotation or even first teamers and have no probs.

i sell youth players as youthplayers/backups etc.

is this what your doing

Seen this problem since 2005, thats probably because its still basically the same game. I sometimes wonder if SI CAN change it (make a new version thats actually new). I wont ever faff around with a 3rd party porgram to edit rep values because thats not my job thats the games. I will just let those players contracts run down and smack myself in the head with the box the game came in.

(BTW this is the biggest problem with the game).

A secondary issue is the reputation of your team and that of the bidding team. I haven't messed with this on 08 but on FM 07 I had a West Ham game where our rep jumped fairly rapidly in 3 or so seasons, then finally I got a bid for one of their deadwood strikers. He refused to sign for the club as he felt it was a step down.

So I reloaded the game, changed West Ham's rep to match up with the bidding team and voila he signed for the team he was previously refusing to sign for.

Basically the player's ability and rep matched up with the bidding club (a lower Premier League team) but he wouldn't sign for them because he preferred staying at a higher rep club despite rotting in the reserves.

Archived