PDA

View Full Version : Football Manager Wiki

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14

pnefc22
03-08-2009, 23:15
Just tried to edit the Current Events page, to check if it is locked to admins and it doesn't seem to be. No message appears across the top, like it usually does.

ahmufcwafc
03-08-2009, 23:21
Anyone can edit it. I'm not a big fan of locking pages for mods only tbh.

arsenal_2111
03-08-2009, 23:22
We're going to leave it for now, although I don't think theres really a reason for it to be edited apart from when we are updating it every couple of weeks or so.

I've also unlocked the Main Page, as we have to confirm all users I don't think theres a risk of it being spammed.

The only page that is locked is the Rulebook page, for understandable reasons.

pnefc22
03-08-2009, 23:24
Oh, ok, I was confused as Jammy said it was in the first post on this page.

I'm not a big fan either only because I'm not a mod and so, wouldn't be able to edit them :D

There has only been 6 users who have edited anything on the wiki in the last 7 days. Us 3, sstig, and who else?

ahmufcwafc
03-08-2009, 23:26
Peter made one edit I think and JJay installed some new addons.

arsenal_2111
03-08-2009, 23:26
Oh, ok, I was confused as Jammy said it was in the first post on this page.

I'm not a big fan either only because I'm not a mod and so, wouldn't be able to edit them :D

There has only been 6 users who have edited anything on the wiki in the last 7 days. Us 3, sstig, and who else?

Yes - I thought they were locked but apparently not :D

I think Saulty2805 has done a couple of edits, and Hamilton maybe? EDIT: I stand corrected - I can't stop being wrong today:D

pnefc22
03-08-2009, 23:27
Just checked on the recent edits, and I think it is Frog125685482, who made a +3, and Saulty1805 who made a few edits on the walsall page.

EDIT: I don't think add-ons count for the users who have made edits in the last seven days.

ahmufcwafc
03-08-2009, 23:27
Ohh and frag made a few edits too iirc.

pnefc22
03-08-2009, 23:30
Frag :D

I think it is Frog.

I am going to go and do some Preston player articles on my computer in my bedroom, with some FM on, and will upload them tomorrom, so night jams and alan. KUTGW :thup:

ahmufcwafc
03-08-2009, 23:32
Bah, sorry Froggy :(

Night Rob :thup:

arsenal_2111
03-08-2009, 23:45
Do we know who Frog is on these forums?

Night Robbbb:)

hamilton162
04-08-2009, 10:45
I haven't done anything for a couple of months now :o I'll try and get that graphics page that i've been "working on" up soon :D

arsenal_2111
04-08-2009, 12:37
Haha, there isnt any huge rush so don'tworry too much about it :D

Will be good to have you back working :thup:

ahmufcwafc
04-08-2009, 12:40
Double post Jammy.

I haven't done anything for a couple of months now :o I'll try and get that graphics page that i've been "working on" up soon :D
You're telling me you've been feeding me lies all this time? I feel let down man :(

arsenal_2111
04-08-2009, 13:43

Can you get on MSN for 2 minutes?

arsenal_2111
04-08-2009, 14:15
I've deleted some more short pages that didn't have any FM information - I don't know if normal users can restore pages but, if you can, feel free to do so. If oyu can't, and you want a page restored, just ask :)

pnefc22
04-08-2009, 21:44
I have just started tidying up the stadiums articles via Jammy's request by adding the team name on the end, and by deleting some of the 'The''s.

the 'The''s :D << WTF

pnefc22
04-08-2009, 21:55
New Idea

For the Stadia pages, would it be a good idea for me to add how this ground (capacity etc.) is for the league that you are in and for the clubs size and to recommend if they should try and get it expanded and how much would be required in cash to expand it?

What do you think?

arsenal_2111
04-08-2009, 22:34
Yeah, that would be excellent. The part about how good the ground is especially. The Expansion part would be good, but difficult to find out surely?

ahmufcwafc
04-08-2009, 22:37
Sounds like a great idea Rob, if you can manage it.

arsenal_2111
04-08-2009, 23:27
All of the renaming of Stadium pages is now done:)

peter-evo
04-08-2009, 23:31
Just to let you know that I will be working on the wiki more now lads!

arsenal_2111
04-08-2009, 23:38
I'll believe it when I see it FML mod ;)

peter-evo
04-08-2009, 23:40
I'll believe it when I see it FML mod ;)
I'm not a mod? :confused:

arsenal_2111
04-08-2009, 23:41
You know what I mean :(

peter-evo
04-08-2009, 23:47
So I won there? PM me your msn Jammy!

ahmufcwafc
04-08-2009, 23:49
Isn't that what the msn thingy under his profile is for? Lazy git :p

arsenal_2111
04-08-2009, 23:50
Its in my profile, click the little man under my post count :)

Although I'm off to bed in 5 minutes, so won't be able to talk ;)

And no, you didn't win. You'll never win. :D

arsenal_2111
04-08-2009, 23:54
Thinking about it, that's probably where the randomers add me from

*Deletes MSN from profile*

peter-evo
04-08-2009, 23:55
Done. :)

Also, can everyone please, when writing articles, put =='s around their page's subtitles and ==='s around their sub-subtitles. Just to make the pages look a little neater :thup:

ahmufcwafc
04-08-2009, 23:57
Done. :)

Also, can everyone please, when writing articles, put =='s around their page's subtitles and ==='s around their sub-subtitles. Just to make the pages look a little neater :thup:
Agree with this. Looks much better than having sub-titles the same size as the main titles imo.

ahmufcwafc
05-08-2009, 01:38
Football Manager 2010
With the FM10 announcement being made in the next few weeks, I'll be setting aside a few things to get us ready for release hype. I've asked JJay to install a few new features so hopefully we'll have them online in the next few days.

What we'll be doing is tracking FM10 features as SI feed them to us. Last year they were scattered everywhere so I thought it'd be a nice idea to keep a definitive list on the site.

Another thing I'll be doing is uploading the FM10 podcasts to the wiki so you can listen to them without the need to download it from iTunes. This is one of the new features we'll hopefully have in the next few days. No download at all is needed. Have to get permission from SI bods first though.

Video channel that shows vids SI upload to youtube is another thing I might be doing, but not sure if there's much point doing that.

Let me know what you think and any other ideas because these are only rough ideas atm.

Also, competitions. As an SI affiliate we have been given some SI merchandise to offer to users. We'll probably have a competitions link added to the sidebar shortly and I'll write something up on the competition then. There's another thing I have to say about the competitions but it'll be another week before I can tell you because I haven't sorted out the deal just yet :\

peter-evo
05-08-2009, 01:40
Sounds excellent Alan. Are the competitions going to be question and answer competitions or are we going to be varying it a little?

ahmufcwafc
05-08-2009, 01:42
I have no idea :p

I was thinking question and answer but most likely yes there will be a variation... any ideas on what we should do with competitions?

peter-evo
05-08-2009, 01:43
Send us a fiver and we'll put you in the hat :p.

Not sure tbh, a lot of 'ideal' things would be difficult to run. Q&A seems the best option to start with.

ahmufcwafc
05-08-2009, 01:46
People entering more than once might be a problem... but we could always overcome that by only allowing members to enter. Or maybe ask them for their SI username in the email they send?

We have the competition email set up already as far as I'm aware. Will check later to be sure.

ahmufcwafc
05-08-2009, 01:53
And now to actually answer your question... :D

Send us a fiver and we'll put you in the hat :p.

Not sure tbh, a lot of 'ideal' things would be difficult to run. Q&A seems the best option to start with.
I agree. Should we make the question simple or challenging do you think?

ssestig
05-08-2009, 01:53
You could have their SI username in the subject bar Alan.

eg. mine would be:
Subject: Competition 1 - ssestig
Main text box: Answer here

Edit: I reckon a mixture of the two.

peter-evo
05-08-2009, 01:56
And now to actually answer your question... :D

I agree. Should we make the question simple or challenging do you think?
Depends on the prize. Also, needs to be as hard to google as possible.

ahmufcwafc
05-08-2009, 01:56
You could have their SI username in the subject bar Alan.

eg. mine would be:
Subject: Competition 1 - ssestig
Main text box: Answer here
Yeah, that'd probably be the best way to do it! Wonder what we could do to stop users just giving us any random username from the forums though?

Oh, and do you think they should have to register on the site to enter or just an SI username? Si username probably best imo.

ssestig
05-08-2009, 02:03
Is there any way that you could make the competitons page only viewable to members of the wiki almost encouraging them to sign up or a page only viewable by edits or something like that.

ahmufcwafc
05-08-2009, 02:10
I don't think so but I'll look into it.

hamilton162
05-08-2009, 09:37
Haha, there isnt any huge rush so don'tworry too much about it :D

Will be good to have you back working :thup:

Thanks

Double post Jammy.

You're telling me you've been feeding me lies all this time? I feel let down man :(

I've started it Alan! Just forgotten about it and haven't touched it for a few weeks! I'll get going on it again tonight. It isn't huge though, couldn't think of a hell of a lot of stuff to write. I might try and get permission from Radestock and michaeltmurrayuk to use some of their stuff from the Stickies in the Skinning Hideout

New Idea

For the Stadia pages, would it be a good idea for me to add how this ground (capacity etc.) is for the league that you are in and for the clubs size and to recommend if they should try and get it expanded and how much would be required in cash to expand it?

What do you think?

Great idea, i'll add to the Adams Park page and the Gigg Lane page.

Football Manager 2010
With the FM10 announcement being made in the next few weeks, I'll be setting aside a few things to get us ready for release hype. I've asked JJay to install a few new features so hopefully we'll have them online in the next few days.

What we'll be doing is tracking FM10 features as SI feed them to us. Last year they were scattered everywhere so I thought it'd be a nice idea to keep a definitive list on the site.

Another thing I'll be doing is uploading the FM10 podcasts to the wiki so you can listen to them without the need to download it from iTunes. This is one of the new features we'll hopefully have in the next few days. No download at all is needed. Have to get permission from SI bods first though.

Video channel that shows vids SI upload to youtube is another thing I might be doing, but not sure if there's much point doing that.

Let me know what you think and any other ideas because these are only rough ideas atm.

Also, competitions. As an SI affiliate we have been given some SI merchandise to offer to users. We'll probably have a competitions link added to the sidebar shortly and I'll write something up on the competition then. There's another thing I have to say about the competitions but it'll be another week before I can tell you because I haven't sorted out the deal just yet :\

Brilliant stuff as usual Alan. What kind of stuff have we been sent?

ahmufcwafc
05-08-2009, 11:09
I was joking about the graphics page :p

At the moment all we have is a few packs of top trumps but we've only been partners with SI a few months now so we should be getting more valuble prizes to give away soon.

Highor
05-08-2009, 12:57
I'm doing Feyenoord from the Dutch competition

hamilton162
05-08-2009, 17:04
Ok, cool. I've just PM'd michaeltmurrayuk and Radestock about using the info from their threads in the skinning hideout which i feel would benifit us significantly.

I should get a reply soon and i'll re-start on the graphics page in an hour or two

arsenal_2111
05-08-2009, 18:58
Depends on the prize. Also, needs to be as hard to google as possible.

Personally I think it should be something you can find on footballmanagerwiki - try and encourage people to use us as a source of information.

Obviously it isn't ideal, but it would be so easy to look anything up we may as well do something that benefits the site.

I'm doing Feyenoord from the Dutch competition

Thanks, good work with it :)

When did you become a member? Don't remember seeing you around, but you must have been here for a bit or we would have had to confirm your membership. :)

hamilton162
05-08-2009, 20:09
michaeltmurray has said that we can put the info from his Skinning Hideout threads on the Wiki, as long as we give all credit to him. I'm just about to start doing this now :)

arsenal_2111
05-08-2009, 20:11
You want me to make a Disclaimer for him?

hamilton162
05-08-2009, 20:12
And i've just lost my password :o Can a mod on the Wiki PM me my password please :)

EDIT: If you wouldn't mind jammy. Are you a wiki mod?

arsenal_2111
05-08-2009, 20:15
Yeah, I am. However as far as I know we can't find out passwords.

EDIT: Don't think we can, unless its in User Credentials. What's your username on the site? It says it isnt Hamilton162?

I'll check for you now, and I'll make the disclaimer template for you too. :)

hamilton162
05-08-2009, 20:17
damn :( Might have to create a new user if you can't find it out :( And cheers :thup: Once the user stuff is sorted, i'll crack on with putting the stuff up :)

hamilton162
05-08-2009, 20:20
Got it, don't worry :D

arsenal_2111
05-08-2009, 20:24
Good:)

Type {{mmurray}} at the bottom of your page to make the michaeltmurrayuk template appear. :)

hamilton162
05-08-2009, 20:27
Done :) I've done the "How to create a config file" and looked at the others, but i think i'll do some more when i get a reply from radestock :)

arsenal_2111
05-08-2009, 20:27
Ok then, just ask and I'll make a Radestock template for you :thup:

hamilton162
05-08-2009, 20:30
I've asked already, just waiting for a reply. And cheers :thup:

pnefc22
05-08-2009, 20:32
Lot of quoting going on here :D

All of the renaming of Stadium pages is now done:)

Good job, I started it but then, came off. Thanks for finishing it :thup:

Yeah, that would be excellent. The part about how good the ground is especially. The Expansion part would be good, but difficult to find out surely?

I will add it to all of them. It would be hard, but estimates are asking around should help me.

I have no idea

I was thinking question and answer but most likely yes there will be a variation... any ideas on what we should do with competitions?

Varying it would be best.

For some, make the answer available on the Wiki, but for others, make them have to be common knowledge, but hard common knowledge and something you can't google, as Peter said.

People entering more than once might be a problem... but we could always overcome that by only allowing members to enter. Or maybe ask them for their SI username in the email they send?

We have the competition email set up already as far as I'm aware. Will check later to be sure.

We could just PM the winner on the forums, and make them give details on that which would show if the winner entered or not. You must be a member of the wiki to enter I think would be a good rule and could get some new members.

At the moment all we have is a few packs of top trumps but we've only been partners with SI a few months now so we should be getting more valuble prizes to give away soon.

An early few copies of FM10 :D

hamilton162
05-08-2009, 20:35
An early few copies of FM10 :D

Hahahahaha :D Send me one Alan! ;)

arsenal_2111
05-08-2009, 20:50
Of course, early copies of FM10 might just be a bit too much to ask for ;) :D

We will be getting things like Top Trumps (already got some of these), mugs, t-shirts and possibly a couple of copies of FM (although I'm not sure on this).

Through looking in the Affiliates forum I can see that people have had cans of FM body spray (I seriously dread to think...) and I'm sure there are a couple more things that are avalible.

Rob - I'm liking the suggestion of PMing them, I think that's probably the best way to do this. :thup:

arsenal_2111
05-08-2009, 21:25
Could we perhaps do a 'Goal of the Month' competition for the Wiki competition? Impossible to cheat and good fun - run it alongside a few questions that you can find the answers to on the site?

ssestig
05-08-2009, 21:36
:thup: to that Jammy.

arsenal_2111
05-08-2009, 22:29
As the amount of changes being done to the player profiles seems limited now, I think we may as well delete them all. The content on them will need rewriting anyway, deleting them just gives people a wider choice of who they want to write about without feeling pressured to do a page that needs editing already.

I haven't spoken to Alan about this yet, just my opinion about the situation. If no-one has any objections then I reckon we should start deleting them tomorrow night.

Highor
05-08-2009, 23:04
Thanks, good work with it

When did you become a member? Don't remember seeing you around, but you must have been here for a bit or we would have had to confirm your membership.

mmm what do you mean ? :) i just created an account a while ago because i knew that i would make a page when i got the time. So today i made Feyenoord. Maybe i will make more in the next days from the Dutch Competition or big clubs in europe that aren't been added yet.

I'm just glad that i could help you guys out. Peace.

Highor
05-08-2009, 23:22
BTW is there any page where we can see who is doing a page? or who did a page? Thnx.

ahmufcwafc
05-08-2009, 23:24
Hello there :) Lots of things I've missed out on today I see!

Ok, cool. I've just PM'd michaeltmurrayuk and Radestock about using the info from their threads in the skinning hideout which i feel would benifit us significantly.

I should get a reply soon and i'll re-start on the graphics page in an hour or two
From what I've heard radestock isn't too keen on having his stuff shown on other sites.

There's already a config file page on top of of the create a config page, should we leave it as it is for now?

mmm what do you mean ? :) i just created an account a while ago because i knew that i would make a page when i got the time. So today i made Feyenoord. Maybe i will make more in the next days from the Dutch Competition or big clubs in europe that aren't been added yet.

I'm just glad that i could help you guys out. Peace.
Welcome Highor. Never mind Jammy, he doesn't know what he's talking about :D

As the amount of changes being done to the player profiles seems limited now, I think we may as well delete them all. The content on them will need rewriting anyway, deleting them just gives people a wider choice of who they want to write about without feeling pressured to do a page that needs editing already.

I haven't spoken to Alan about this yet, just my opinion about the situation. If no-one has any objections then I reckon we should start deleting them tomorrow night.We need to look carefully through the profiles before deleting them because some guys have added FM info over the last few days and not categorised the pages properly.

My opinion on the competitions - I think in our first giveaway we should just give a simple question to be answered. Then as we go along we make them slightly harder. Goal of the month sounds good though.

BTW is there any page where we can see who is doing a page? or who did a page? Thnx.
Click the history tab :thup:

arsenal_2111
05-08-2009, 23:41
I think I've categorized allof the player profiles that have been edited, I made them more consistant when they were finished and that included changing the category.

peter-evo
05-08-2009, 23:44
Yeah, Radestock said no to me last time. Good work today lads, going to be an interesting month for us.

arsenal_2111
05-08-2009, 23:51

Just seen the Feyenoord page you did - are Excelsior a feeder to Feyenoord now?

With the Eredivise page, the majority of that is copied from Wikipedia isn't it? If so, we're trying to cut down onthe amount of Wikipedia content on the site so it would be fantastic if you could reword it a bit to make it original.

Good to have you on board :)

Highor
06-08-2009, 00:00
Excelsior is indeed a feeder club.

Yes its a copy from the Wikipedia. My english isen't that good to write stuff like that on my own to be honest. Well the Team pages doesnt have much info anyways. But i could try.

arsenal_2111
06-08-2009, 00:07
Don't worry if you can't do much - I will do whatever you can not do for you if you like. :)

Highor
06-08-2009, 00:08
Nice, i will make more pages tomorrow for sure. If i need help i will let you know.

arsenal_2111
06-08-2009, 00:29
:thup:

We are definitely going to be deleting the player profile pages tomorrow night!

If there are any pages that people want to keep, I've made a sub category called 'Player Profile Keep'. Just change the category on any pages you want us to keep to [[Category:Player Profile Keep]] and we won't delete them. Feel free to add as many as you'd like in there, although you will be expected to change them after the deletion.

It's best to do it at this time because if we wait much longer we're going to be busy with FM10 stuff, so won't have much time for the player profile section.

Cheers:thup:

arsenal_2111
06-08-2009, 02:31
The Fansite (http://www.community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=123113) page has been updated :thup:

Also, Twitter (www.twitter.com/fmwiki). :)

hamilton162
06-08-2009, 10:26
Yeah, Radestock said no to me last time. Good work today lads, going to be an interesting month for us.

He said no again, but said that we could put links in to his guides if we want and we give him credit.

There's already a config file page on top of of the create a config page, should we leave it as it is for now?

Too late, did it last night. It's brilliant and i think if we're going to keep just the one, keep the one made my michaeltmurrayuk :thup:

Could we perhaps do a 'Goal of the Month' competition for the Wiki competition? Impossible to cheat and good fun - run it alongside a few questions that you can find the answers to on the site?

Sounds great. I'll have plenty to submit for that :D

ahmufcwafc
06-08-2009, 10:47
Too late, did it last night. It's brilliant and i think if we're going to keep just the one, keep the one made my michaeltmurrayuk :thup:

Yeah I know a new one went up. What I meant to say is that we have two pages: the brief explanation of a confit file and the michael's guide on making them. Should we merge the two pages together? Personally I think we should because they are both very similar :)

arsenal_2111
06-08-2009, 11:56
I agree Alan :thup:

ahmufcwafc
06-08-2009, 12:36
I've merged the two pages and removed some lines that weren't needed. I've also added some code lines to make the code stand out but for shorter lines of code it looks a bit crap. Might change that a bit.

Oh, and for you guys who couldn't figure out how to draw out recommended formations without the code messing up, I've figured out how to do it. Just put <code><pre> before the formation and </pre></code> after it.

arsenal_2111
06-08-2009, 12:39
Does that do similar to [code] does here?

arsenal_2111
06-08-2009, 12:42
:thup:

We are definitely going to be deleting the player profile pages tomorrow night!

If there are any pages that people want to keep, I've made a sub category called 'Player Profile Keep'. Just change the category on any pages you want us to keep to [[Category:Player Profile Keep]] and we won't delete them. Feel free to add as many as you'd like in there, although you will be expected to change them after the deletion.

It's best to do it at this time because if we wait much longer we're going to be busy with FM10 stuff, so won't have much time for the player profile section.

Cheers:thup:

Wanted to bring this back up - I see Stig added some yesterday so if anyone else wants to add any go for it:thup:

ahmufcwafc
06-08-2009, 12:49
Does that do similar to [code] does here?
Exactly the same.

Colorado
06-08-2009, 14:43
Just an idea, but how about adding all the clubs which begin the game without a manager?

Many times, I've been stuck in work thinking about a team to start a new game with, preferring to go to a team without a manager.

ssestig
06-08-2009, 15:16
Just so everyone knows it may take me until the end of next week to sort out the profiles that I want keeping. Also can the other Crewe players that have been deleted over the last few days be restored when i've done the others?

ahmufcwafc
06-08-2009, 15:57
Just an idea, but how about adding all the clubs which begin the game without a manager?

Many times, I've been stuck in work thinking about a team to start a new game with, preferring to go to a team without a manager.
I'll try to get a page up soon. I don't have the 9.1 or 9.2 databases on my computer so I won't be able to do those.

Could anyone with the 9.1 and 9.2 databases installed have a look for me?

Just so everyone knows it may take me until the end of next week to sort out the profiles that I want keeping. Also can the other Crewe players that have been deleted over the last few days be restored when i've done the others?
If you tell me what profiles you plan on doing I'll make sure they won't be deleted. I'll restore all the Crewe players' pages shortly.

ahmufcwafc
06-08-2009, 19:36
Or would you prefer the profiles stay up another week? If so that's fine by me.

Oh and I'll need a list of pages you want recovered because I'm having trouble finding the deleted pages. Thanks :)

ssestig
06-08-2009, 21:23
Another week for Crewe players please Alan. I'll edit a list of who's missing into this post later.

ahmufcwafc
06-08-2009, 21:26
No worries. Is it just the Crewe players then? Or shall I keep some others up for now?

arsenal_2111
06-08-2009, 21:31
I restored all the Crewe ones earlier - Alan I did tell you in the PM but forgot to post that here.

ssestig
06-08-2009, 21:37
Depends on any that anyone else wants Alan. I don't want anymore saving put it that way.

pnefc22
06-08-2009, 21:38

Sounds like a good idea.

Time to set all of my players long shots to 'Often' :D

I'll try to get a page up soon. I don't have the 9.1 or 9.2 databases on my computer so I won't be able to do those.

Could anyone with the 9.1 and 9.2 databases installed have a look for me?

I still have the 9.1 database I think.

I'm guessing I just load all the leagues and type up all the unemployed teams?

arsenal_2111
06-08-2009, 21:42
Depends on any that anyone else wants Alan. I don't want anymore saving put it that way.

So the only ones you want kept are the Crewe ones? Will that be all of the Crewe player profiles, or just the ones currently playing for Crewe?

ssestig
06-08-2009, 21:43
All please. Any I don't want/use i'll let you know so you/other admin can delete them.

arsenal_2111
06-08-2009, 21:46
Ok then, cheers for letting me know. I'll categorize the whole of the Crewe players category as Keep, and if there are any others that you want restored after they've been deleted, just say and one of us will restore them for you. :)
All of the Crewe players have been Keep tagged

If there are any that others want kept then I'd be very grateful if you could tag them asap please:)

ssestig
06-08-2009, 21:47
Will do Jammy.

arsenal_2111
06-08-2009, 22:04
Incase you don't see my above edit, all have been tagged now :)

arsenal_2111
07-08-2009, 01:16
And all player profile pages have been deleted :) Like I said, if anyone wants one restored just say :)

hamilton162
07-08-2009, 09:50
Sounds like a good idea.

Time to set all of my players long shots to 'Often' :D

With my FC United MC's, who score 45 yard thunderbolts, you've got no chance :D :p

Highor
07-08-2009, 14:56
Done AZ Alkmaar & Villarreal CF

JJay
08-08-2009, 11:08
Anybody here got any plans to extend the wiki in to FML? Or am I the lone FML'er :(

ahmufcwafc
08-08-2009, 11:45
I had thought about it but then wouldn't we just be competing with your wiki? :D (...or has it collapsed? Can't connect to it atm)

I'm an ex-FML'er now fwiw but I still know a thing or two about the game.

Edit: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=101347

Judging by the link to FML wiki in that thread I'd guess that the site has indeed gone under, unless you changed domain?

Peter and Rob play FML as well I think. Would be a good idea expanding it to FML eventually in my opinion.

JJay
08-08-2009, 14:46
I had thought about it but then wouldn't we just be competing with your wiki? :D (...or has it collapsed? Can't connect to it atm)

I'm an ex-FML'er now fwiw but I still know a thing or two about the game.

Edit: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=101347

Judging by the link to FML wiki in that thread I'd guess that the site has indeed gone under, unless you changed domain?

Peter and Rob play FML as well I think. Would be a good idea expanding it to FML eventually in my opinion.

Yeah the site was closed down after it become only me maintaining it with the intention of merging them eventually in to one source - that being FMWiki :)

It's not really a priority at the moment, but if there was a set direction intended for FML then that would be useful.

arsenal_2111
08-08-2009, 15:15
My personal aim for the short term is to get two things sorted on the site - firstly to get a some more pages on other fansites (started already with a page on FM-View) and to develop Football Manager 2010 on the site.
Hopefully, in the FM10 section, we will have;

Single page for each big feature
One big feature list with all on
Page on buying the game

and a few more things, which when the FM10 hype goes down will all be put into one page. Having its own category will make it easy to see for people new to the site, which will increase activity.

However FML is a huge part of FM now, and it can only add to the site if we have a lot more on this. I don't play FML, so can't really help with this. It would need its own category, and there are a couple more things that, imo, will need their own category. At the moment we have;

* Team Guides
* Competition Guides
* Player Profiles
* Stadia

* Gameplay
* Graphics/Skinning
* Technical
* Editing

* Game Releases
* Challenges
* Miscellaneous

and I reckon there are five things we could add to that.

* Fansites
* Football Manager 2010 (short term, long term make Club Guides and Nation Guides seperate and get rid of this.
* Football Manager Handheld
* Football Manager Live

That would mean we would have 3 columns of 5 fansites, making it 15 altogether. Although that may seem like a lot, it can only help to make the site more usable, and more useful to a wider audience.

Preferences (Imo);

- Football Manager 2010
- Fansites (although I'll be working on this a lot so this doesn't really matter to you lot:D)
- Football Manager Live
- Football Manager Handheld

JJay, do you still have any of the articles from the FML Wiki? That'd be very helpful, we could just copy most of them.

Sorry, boring and disorganised post. But is there anything people agree or dont agree with?

ahmufcwafc
08-08-2009, 15:46
Yeah the site was closed down after it become only me maintaining it with the intention of merging them eventually in to one source - that being FMWiki :)

It's not really a priority at the moment, but if there was a set direction intended for FML then that would be useful.
I take it that it's too late to transfer FML Wiki pages over here? If not, it gets a big thumbs up from me :)

I agree with what Jammy said. I'll be getting in touch with other fansite webmasters over the next week or so. I want to speak to database and graphics makers first though, just in case I forget. You can ask webmasters now if you want Jammy, not sure if you know who to ask though. Let me know if you don't.

arsenal_2111
08-08-2009, 15:49
I'm going to make a list of who I think we should contact later - I'll pass it on to you before though to see if there are any extras.

What do you think about adding the four extra categories?

ahmufcwafc
08-08-2009, 16:15
No point putting new categories on the main page until we have some pages on them. I've already made a fansites category, I'm not putting it on the main page until we have some more pages though. You can make the categories if you like.

arsenal_2111
08-08-2009, 16:39
That goes without saying tbh. I've made a FMH and a FML category, sub categorized them inside Game Releases. May put them on the main page if they become busy enough.

Not sure what we want to do about the FML page - looks a bit weird having a Football Manager Live page inside the Football Manager Live category. Maybe do something like for FMH, so there is a FMH page with a brief explanation of the game that links to the main category?

Up to you, I'll take a backseat regarding FML.

ahmufcwafc
08-08-2009, 16:41
Is there much point making them sub-categories if they've no content? Think it's best if they stay hidden tbh.

arsenal_2111
08-08-2009, 16:44
They've both got two pages in them, it's up to you but personally I think it's best to have them ready for when more articles are made. It'll make it less work, but if you think it'd be best to make them hidden to go for it :thup:

ahmufcwafc
08-08-2009, 16:50
FMH has two, but FML only has one, which is just a general FML page. I think we should keep FML and FMH in the game releases section, and have it in the new categories as well.

It's actually more effort when you think about it, because when new articles are made we'll be moving them out of the game releases category and onto the main page. We might get some FML articles if JJay still has some from FML wiki but other than that realistically we won't have many FML or FMH pages for a while. There's not much point having visible categories with only one or two pages in them imho.

arsenal_2111
08-08-2009, 16:52
FML has a gameworlds page now, I made its own page for it because it's quite a big table.

I'll sort it out now though:thup:

arsenal_2111
08-08-2009, 16:56
Sorted out now, the pages are still FMH/FML categorized but the categories are now hidden.

ahmufcwafc
08-08-2009, 17:00
What are we going to do with the gameworlds page and the other FML page, which are now hidden? :p

arsenal_2111
08-08-2009, 17:02
They're accessible from other pages - Gameworlds is linked to on the FML page and the FMH page has a link to the FMH category :thup:

http://footballmanagerwiki.co.uk/index.php?title=FML - FML

http://footballmanagerwiki.co.uk/index.php?title=FMH - FMH

Imo it's best like that for now.

ahmufcwafc
08-08-2009, 17:06
Might as well shove the GWs table back into the FML page until we get some more FML pages and it's categorised properly. The GWs page is still there now, it's just hidden.

ahmufcwafc
08-08-2009, 23:54
Can someone do the page on unemployed managers from the start for me? Just realised I don't have FM09 installed at all anymore :(

Would be much appreciated.

Highor
09-08-2009, 21:25
Will there be a tactical guide page?

ahmufcwafc
09-08-2009, 21:27
We already have a tactics page, but it's fairly basic at the moment. Link. (http://footballmanagerwiki.co.uk/index.php?title=Tactics)

Lisandro Lopez
09-08-2009, 22:09
I meant to say this earlier but I'll post it now, if you need any French based players (Ligue 1) profiles let me know either on here or PM and I'll do them. I've done most of the current missing Lyon's players but I haven't posted them yet.

Or don't you need anymore?

ahmufcwafc
09-08-2009, 22:33
Any profiles at all would be great hopey :thup:

arsenal_2111
09-08-2009, 23:43
I meant to say this earlier but I'll post it now, if you need any French based players (Ligue 1) profiles let me know either on here or PM and I'll do them. I've done most of the current missing Lyon's players but I haven't posted them yet.

Or don't you need anymore?

Like Alan said, any would be great. The more we have the better.

Doing some of the bigger players would probably be the best, as they are the ones that more people will look for.

Cheers mate :)

Lisandro Lopez
10-08-2009, 18:22
Okay, well the remaining Lyon player profiles I'll PM them to you jammy if that's cool? I'll do the more popular French based players and PM them later today or whenever I get round to finishing them, probably tomorrow I guess.

I doubt I’ll be doing any Saint-Étienne players though for obvious reasons. :p

arsenal_2111
10-08-2009, 18:33
Yep, PMing them to me will be fine and I'll add them to the site - cheers :)

Make sure you do a page on Sankhare. I love his name. It reminds me of a pig. :D

Lisandro Lopez
10-08-2009, 18:42
Sankharé. ;)

arsenal_2111
10-08-2009, 18:57
¬¬ (< evil eyes)

ahmufcwafc
10-08-2009, 19:19
Hopey blatently hiding the profiles from me :*****(

FM announcement coming this week so that means we must have the FM10 section up soon. Going by last year SI will be releasing features by:

- Podcast (Rob)
- Random websites
- Youtube vids (Jammy)
- This forum (Hamilton)

Maybe if someone was to take the podcats, another was to look at youtube vids etc it'd make it easier. Anyone care to take a section? :)

arsenal_2111
10-08-2009, 19:28
I'll take the YouTube vids, I'll watch them anyway...

:)

Lisandro Lopez
10-08-2009, 19:30
Hiding what? :D Don't be jealous now, I'll PM you the other French based profiles when I finish them, happy? :p

hamilton162
10-08-2009, 19:33
I'd take the forum, but i'm away next week :(

arsenal_2111
10-08-2009, 19:36
Hiding what? :D Don't be jealous now, I'll PM you the other French based profiles when I finish them, happy? :p

NOOOO!

Me. :(

Alan, I've sent you a PM (quite a long one, sorry :D)

ahmufcwafc
10-08-2009, 19:39
I'd take the forum, but i'm away next week :(
I could always fill in for you for a week if you want.

Hopey - I'm never happy :)

In all seriousness, just PM the profiles to Jammy.

hamilton162
10-08-2009, 19:40
If you could Alan. I go away on the 19th IIRC and come back 10 days later :)

pnefc22
10-08-2009, 23:02
I am away on the 13th to the 18th.

But, I will take the podcasts if you want. Give me something to listen to. Better not be crap :D

ahmufcwafc
10-08-2009, 23:06
That's almost all the sections covered then. I'll probably be keeping an eye out for features we miss from all the sections and just other stuff that's mentioned on this forum.

Any suggestions for what I should add to the infobox on this page? (http://footballmanagerwiki.co.uk/index.php?title=Football_Manager_2009)

ahmufcwafc
11-08-2009, 01:02
I've added infoboxes with important links to most of the pages in the game releases category, it's better than listing external links at the bottom of the page imo. They have been added for Premiership clubs as well.

All fansite webmasters have been contacted now, we have 5 fansite pages and the fansites category has been put on the main page.

arsenal_2111
11-08-2009, 15:23
They looks great - very useful that people don't have to read the whole article to get something. You've been busy today :D

Undergroundfc have replied to me now, I'm talking to their webmaster about a page now - will have something on the site asap. :)

Oh, and we have 6 fansite pages ;)

Lisandro Lopez
11-08-2009, 16:24
I can't send the PM because I'm well over the character limit in PM's, hmm. :(

The text that you have entered is too long (14583 characters). Please shorten it to 5000 characters long.

:D

Oh, can you delete Fred from the Lyon club guide now? As on 9.3.0 he’s at Fluminense.

arsenal_2111
11-08-2009, 16:36
Deleted Fred :thup:

Just send 3/4 seperate PM's if you like :)

Lisandro Lopez
11-08-2009, 16:38
Yeah I was planning to do so, thought I'd better check with you first though. :p

PM's on the way. ;o

EDIT;

All sent.

arsenal_2111
11-08-2009, 17:07
All recieved and put on site - thanks muchly :D

ahmufcwafc
11-08-2009, 19:49
Would you be able to help us in listing key players for French clubs hopey? We're adding a key players bit to the infobox on pages such as this one (http://www.footballmanagerwiki.co.uk/index.php?title=Lyon) and it'd be great if you could help us out :)

How's that graphics page coming along hamilton? If it doesn't exist please tell me, because I could write one up if that's the case :D

hamilton162
11-08-2009, 20:16
ah, about that. File's corrupted and i don't have time to put it together again :(

arsenal_2111
11-08-2009, 20:22
Unlucky mate :(

ahmufcwafc
11-08-2009, 20:24
How the hell did you manage to corrupt a text document!? :D

I'll try and get something up on it soon then..

By the way, is anyone interested in helping out me and Jammy in the day-to-day running of the site? There's lots of things we want to get covered in the next few weeks and could do with a bit of help :)

hamilton162
11-08-2009, 20:31
I would help, but i'm going away soon.

And i don't know alan :confused: Brother might have mucked about with it :mad:

pnefc22
11-08-2009, 20:45
I'd be interested Alan, in helping with the running. I have plenty of spare time at the moment, and I have the internet while I am away between this thursday and next tuesday, so I am not away for any of it.

How do you manage to corrupt so many things, Tom? Got a virus or do you share your computer or what? :D

EDIT: BTW, I have found about 50ish stadium files on one of my pen drives which I thought I lost but it turned up in a pair of jeans I had not worn for around 3 months, so I will be getting them up soon.

hamilton162
11-08-2009, 20:49
Dunno :confused: No viruses, just checked Anti-virus software. I defragmented my hard drive this morning as well. Share the laptop with bro and dad

arsenal_2111
11-08-2009, 20:55
Probably something from all the porn downloaded.

pnefc22
11-08-2009, 21:03
:D Jammy, are you in Mexico? Living there? Or what?

I keep noticing it on your location and keep meaning to ask but never do?

ahmufcwafc
11-08-2009, 21:10
Yep. He's from Guadalajara iirc.

arsenal_2111
11-08-2009, 21:13
Yeah, Alan's spot on with this one. :thup:

ahmufcwafc
11-08-2009, 22:13
I'd be interested Alan, in helping with the running. I have plenty of spare time at the moment, and I have the internet while I am away between this thursday and next tuesday, so I am not away for any of it.

How do you manage to corrupt so many things, Tom? Got a virus or do you share your computer or what? :D

EDIT: BTW, I have found about 50ish stadium files on one of my pen drives which I thought I lost but it turned up in a pair of jeans I had not worn for around 3 months, so I will be getting them up soon.
That'd be great Rob. Adding infoboxes, sorting out the look of some pages, categorising pages and setting up the FM10 section are the main things we're looking at doing at the moment.

You should just write the stadium profiles on the site as you go along tbf, that way they won't get lost!

Yeah, Alan's spot on with this one. :thup: As usual :cool:

hamilton162
12-08-2009, 09:37
Yep. He's from Guadalajara iirc.

Yeah, Alan's spot on with this one. :thup:

Wow, never knew that!

Alan, how the hell can you remember how to spell Guadalajara?????

arsenal_2111
12-08-2009, 10:26
You saying my hometown got a stupid name¿

I curse ye with SWINE FLU! ;)

Teezy.
12-08-2009, 10:29
You don't live in Mexico? :D

hamilton162
12-08-2009, 10:31
You saying my hometown got a stupid name¿

I curse ye with SWINE FLU! ;)

1. No i wasn't saying it was stupid, just hard to spell

2. I've already had swine flu, so i'm immune to it :p

ahmufcwafc
12-08-2009, 11:32
Wow, never knew that!

Alan, how the hell can you remember how to spell Guadalajara?????
You should know by now that I know everything.

Here's to our favourite Mexican, Jammino :*****)

I'll have the FM10 stuff up shortly.

hamilton162
12-08-2009, 11:43
:cool: FM10 looks and sounds great. I'd put each of the substantial new features under it's own seperate sub-heading, like the new, improved editor where you can create leagues, gets it's own section on the FM10 page :)

ahmufcwafc
12-08-2009, 11:51
There's quite a lot we're going to be doing with FM10 news, it's going to take up around 10-20 pages I'd imagine instead of just the one.

Screenies have been uploaded and I've changed the main page. What should we do with the 'why have we set this up' bit?

League creator looks awesome.

ahmufcwafc
12-08-2009, 15:02
Main page has been edited, new FM10 category set up and a few pages for FM10 have been set up. Anyone else want to help get all the pages up and everything sorted? (Rob?)

arsenal_2111
12-08-2009, 15:28
Two new categories are on the main page now, FM10 and FMH10. Hopefully we will be ableto have a FML section if JJay has any of the articles stored.

ahmufcwafc
12-08-2009, 18:41
I have put up something about our site on the FM10 website. Should be up in the next few days (has to be approved first).

pnefc22
12-08-2009, 21:06
Yeah, that would be great Alan.

I am packing tonight so, won't be able to do much tonight but tomorrow, I will be on the site.

ahmufcwafc
12-08-2009, 21:49
Sounds good Rob. There's still a bit of work that needs to be done on FM10 pages.

arsenal_2111
13-08-2009, 02:05
We've some surprised lined up for the next couple of weeks on the site, I won't tell you anything about them now but you'll see soon!

arsenal_2111
13-08-2009, 18:11
If you've been on the site today, you may have noticed the new forums we have!

Get posting away, to try and add another dimention to the site!

Cheers :)

hamilton162
13-08-2009, 18:13
Double post jammy ;)

I'll be on there ASAP :D Does this make the old forum redundant then?

ahmufcwafc
13-08-2009, 18:22
As if it wasn't about 3 months ago Tom? ;)

Yeah, I suppose it'll replace the old forum. We also got a few new features like a youtube player (plays vids from some other sites but that doesn't really matter), an MP3 player and we're also cleaning and re-uploading all the player screenshots.

There's also the chance we'll be expanding the site to FML soon. JJay had a site called FML Wiki that went down a few months ago and will probably be revived again on our site.

hamilton162
13-08-2009, 19:40
Should be an interesting couple of months then, with all of that going on! :D

ahmufcwafc
14-08-2009, 20:24
Should be, I won't have much time on my hands though from September-June though so I won't be doing as much as I used to.

arsenal_2111
14-08-2009, 21:15
And I'm not really avalible for the next few weeks, new house doesn't have internet yet :(

JJay
14-08-2009, 21:26
And I need to think up a really lame excuse too...

ahmufcwafc
14-08-2009, 22:36
... too busy playing FML?

arsenal_2111
14-08-2009, 23:34
Nah, JJay's just the one who does stuff we want but can't do ;)

What's Peters excuse then? ;)

ahmufcwafc
14-08-2009, 23:40
Told me yesterday he'll be able to help us once he gets back from maccy D's. Hasn't got back to me yet, he must have some strange eating habits.

hamilton162
15-08-2009, 09:44
My excuse is that i'm packing for holiday and i'm on holiday for almost 2 weeks with no computer or internet connection :D

pnefc22
15-08-2009, 12:40
Haven't had internet on holiday for a couple of days, because it was protected and no-one knew the password but I cracked it :D

So, I should be back on it doing stuff now. I have plenty of spare time for the next few months.

peter-evo
15-08-2009, 12:44
I'll be able to help where I can.

ahmufcwafc
15-08-2009, 18:11
Glad to hear some of you have time to do something with the site, you know what to do now... ;)

Forum is off to a flyer I see :D

Spleen!
15-08-2009, 19:42
Good to see this still progressing, KUTGW guys. I've not done much for a while as I've been away most of the summer, plus my sign up takes some time, but I'm around for the next 6 weeks or so. If I have nothing else to do I'll try and help out :thup:

New forum :eek:

ahmufcwafc
15-08-2009, 20:45
Good to see this still progressing, KUTGW guys. I've not done much for a while as I've been away most of the summer, plus my sign up takes some time, but I'm around for the next 6 weeks or so. If I have nothing else to do I'll try and help out :thup:

New forum :eek:
Welcome back dude, haven't seen you in a while :)

Oh and good luck to hamilton and Rob in the CSE awards, noticed you two were nominated for a few awards.

hamilton162
15-08-2009, 20:49
Thanks Alan, although i doubt i'll win tbh! Up against Rob and canvey in one, whilst Greasy Chip Butty (GCB) and brettney1980 will provide stiff competition in the other :eek:

Thanks anyway! :thup:

PS. hamilton and Tom are the same person Alan ;)

ahmufcwafc
15-08-2009, 20:51
You know what I meant :(

hamilton162
15-08-2009, 20:56
I actually didn't, seriously!

arsenal_2111
16-08-2009, 00:56
Stupid Alan and ahmufcwafc :(

hamilton162
16-08-2009, 10:27
:D

Indeed Jammy, indeed :D

Is there anything apart from the player profiles that needs doing atm? I've got a lot of spare time before going on holiday on wednesday, so i might be able to help out :D

pnefc22
16-08-2009, 11:15
Could do a club guide, haven't had a new one for a week or so?

Or whatever you fancy :D

hamilton162
16-08-2009, 12:47
I might add something on the Paul Wallace challenge: Difficulty GODLIKE Part 3, providing i get permission from NepentheZ :) Seeing as i'm trying to get Brennan to 1000, it's on my mind at the moment :D Going to be close as to whether i can actually complete it with him!

hamilton162
16-08-2009, 15:01
I've made the page on the Danny Roberts Challenge now, however it would be useful if a mod could create a disclaimer for NepentheZ and i've just put a line saying credit goes to NepentheZ from these forums.

He also gave me permission to do a page on the Youth Player Project, which i'll do later this afternoon :)

Also, if someone could add those 2 pages to the "Challenges" category, i'd be grateful :thup:

Spleen!
16-08-2009, 15:05
I've added the Danny Roberts Challenge into the Challenges category :thup: Just add [[Category:Challenges]] at the bottom of the page.

hamilton162
16-08-2009, 15:11
Cheers JS and thanks for telling me how to do it :thup:

I'll also do a player profile for Michael "Legend" Potts if i have time.

PS. Potts is a legend due to his fantastic goalscoring exploits in my dafuge's challenge save :D

ahmufcwafc
16-08-2009, 15:35
I've added the disclaimer Tom, although you could have done it yourself ;)

Nep gave me permission to make a page on it months ago so it's cool.

As regards what pages should you do - anything really, there's not anything to focus on now that most of the things we were planning have been sorted out. Just add whatever you feel's appropriate.

Spleen!
16-08-2009, 15:39
With regards to league guides (which are what I prefer doing, I'll try and get some done), should we be updating them for the 2009/10 season now, or keep them as they are on FM09 for the moment?

ahmufcwafc
16-08-2009, 15:41
Might as well start updating them for the new season now imo, will save a lot of work when FM10 comes out.

hamilton162
16-08-2009, 16:12
Ah, didn't know that i could add a diclaimer myself, but thanks Alan :thup: For future reference, could you please tell me how to do it? Thanks :)

In regards to pages that i could do, i'll try and get some random pages done when i feel like it. I'm just about to start writing the Youth Project page and i'll do a player profile of Michael Potts sometime soon as well :)

pnefc22
16-08-2009, 16:17
Anyone else think that the FM10 front cover picture on the homepage looks fuzzy from close up (20cmish).

But when I look at it in full size mode it looks fine :confused:

ahmufcwafc
16-08-2009, 17:33
Ah, didn't know that i could add a diclaimer myself, but thanks Alan :thup: For future reference, could you please tell me how to do it? Thanks :)

In regards to pages that i could do, i'll try and get some random pages done when i feel like it. I'm just about to start writing the Youth Project page and i'll do a player profile of Michael Potts sometime soon as well :)

I'll finish off the coding help page now, so it includes everything you need to know on editing.

Anyone else think that the FM10 front cover picture on the homepage looks fuzzy from close up (20cmish).

But when I look at it in full size mode it looks fine :confused:
That happens to some pictures, no idea why. There's no way of fixing it afaik.

hamilton162
16-08-2009, 17:40
Done the Youth Player Project page, added the disclaimer and added it to the Challenges category :thup:

I'm on a roll today :D

ahmufcwafc
16-08-2009, 18:21
By any chance have you not read over it yet Tom? I had a quick look just there and I removed some things that make it look like a blind copy + paste job. Might want to have a look at it again.. ;)

I have done most of the guide for you, check the help section.

ahmufcwafc
16-08-2009, 18:43
Okay, everything has been covered in the coding page now I think. If there's anything you think I left out let me know.

http://footballmanagerwiki.co.uk/index.php?title=Help:Commands

hamilton162
16-08-2009, 19:25
At least i've done something for the first time in a few months :p

ahmufcwafc
16-08-2009, 19:33
Does that mean I have to fix up the rest of it for you myself? :(

hamilton162
16-08-2009, 19:35
Nah, i'll try and take a look at it! I'm kinda creating a player profile for Michael Potts atm, 3 articles done in a day it should be, definately a personal record :D

What do you want me to try and fix? Do you want it re-worded so it doesn't look like blantant copy and pasting?

Spleen!
16-08-2009, 19:43
Nah, i'll try and take a look at it! I'm kinda creating a player profile for Michael Potts atm, 3 articles done in a day it should be, definately a personal record :D

What do you want me to try and fix? Do you want it re-worded so it doesn't look like blantant copy and pasting?

It needs rewording so that it makes sense as an article. At the moment, it says things like 'in this thread' and 'Each season I will add a new player to the reports', and contains several Is.

ssestig
16-08-2009, 19:45
Pretty much how he should play on the game, recommended level at start of game and when he hits his peak, and buy/sell values Tom.

hamilton162
16-08-2009, 19:49
Cheers, will have a look in a second. I'm just about to post up the Michael Potts player profile that i've been working on :thup:

I've edited it now, if anyone wants to point out any changes, feel free to do so and i'll correct them :)

ssestig
16-08-2009, 19:58
Don't forget the [[Category:Player Profiles]] and your disclaimer at the bottom but apart from that it looks good.

hamilton162
16-08-2009, 20:04
whoops, forgot about that! Thanks stig, i'll edit right away :) And thanks :thup:

I see you've already done it, cheers :thup:

ahmufcwafc
16-08-2009, 20:17
The categorizing is the most important bit, no one will see the page if you forget to do it ;)

I've submitted our fansite description for it to appear on the new FM10 site so it should be up shortly. Needs to be approved first though.

hamilton162
16-08-2009, 20:20
It's ok, stig did it for me ;)

ahmufcwafc
16-08-2009, 20:24
I know that, just saying :D

ahmufcwafc
16-08-2009, 22:31
You all should be able to upload screenshots again - can someone check for me to be sure?

Old screenshots that were re-uploaded to photobucket (http://s748.photobucket.com/albums/xx124/fmwiki/?albumview=slideshow)

ssestig
16-08-2009, 23:18
Yes we can.

[/Obama]

arsenal_2111
17-08-2009, 01:01
The categorizing is the most important bit, no one will see the page if you forget to do it ;)

I've submitted our fansite description for it to appear on the new FM10 site so it should be up shortly. Needs to be approved first though.

Didn't you do that about a week ago? :D

ahmufcwafc
17-08-2009, 01:13
I did, forgot to mention it in this thread though... I think.

Spleen!
17-08-2009, 17:25
I'm currently working my way through the league guides and updating the teams for the 2009-10 season. Quick question: why, under the national competitions category, do 'Barclays PL' and 'CC Championship' come under E? I guess because they may have been called English PL, English Championship in the past, or because of the nation they are from, but it makes it inconsistent. e.g. the Blue Square leagues are under B. Surely an article called 'Barclays Premier League' should be categorised automatically under B?

ahmufcwafc
17-08-2009, 17:29
Looks like a bug with the software. The page in question used to be called "England - Championship". When it was moved, its place on the categories page was not updated. I'll fix it for you now.

EDIT: Didn't work, no idea how to fix it now.

Spleen!
17-08-2009, 19:46
Strange. It's not a massive problem, but it would be nice if we could get them in the right order somehow.

All the league pages have been updated with this season's teams, except MLS (leaving that to rancer, plus we don't know how many teams will be in it in FM10), the South African premier league (will do this later) and the Indonesian Super League (can't actually find a team list for this season, so it can wait for the moment).

ahmufcwafc
17-08-2009, 19:54
Excellent, great job JS :thup:

One question on the League Two page though - some of the teams on that page have blank descriptions (mainly the teams that have their own pages). Think we should add descriptions for those teams as well?

I tried deleting the pages and making them again but it didn't work.

Spleen!
17-08-2009, 19:58
The blank descriptions are for teams that weren't in League 2 last year. Whoever created the League 2 page added in descriptions for all the teams, I just removed the teams no longer there and added in the new teams. Descriptions probably should be added for them, I can't really do it as I don't follow the league at all. Not sure who created it in the first place either.

Hmm, I'd have thought that would work, but obviously not.

ahmufcwafc
17-08-2009, 20:05
Most of the teams that had no descriptions already had pages anyway, so I just copied them onto the League Two page. Torquay are the only team without a description now.

I'll see if I can add anything to some of the competition/club guides now, haven't done much on them at all since the site was made.

Spleen!
17-08-2009, 20:15
I'll probably look to expand some of them, as a few don't have much on them, like league rules from FM. Any I originally created should have that on already, like the French leagues, but some others will need them adding. Hopefully I'll have time to add in articles on some of the other bigger leagues soon :thup:

ahmufcwafc
17-08-2009, 20:39
Could someone living in England click on this link (http://store.steampowered.com/app/34000/) and tell me what the price for FM10 is there?

Spleen!
17-08-2009, 20:44
The pre-order price is £29.99, down from £39.99.

ahmufcwafc
17-08-2009, 20:57
Thanks, will add that to the FM10 page now.

What happened to our thread in the fansites forum? Looks like it's been deleted...

snootyjim
17-08-2009, 21:27
I did a bit of proof-reading for FMW when it launched, and I've just popped around for another little look, see how everything's going - will probably do some more proof-reading later on.

However, I've just been looking at the tips to make FM run faster, and I'm really not all that convinced. It's a perfectly good idea to have a topic about it, but recommending a registry cleaner? A lot of forums based around helping people to fix computers wouldn't recommend a registry cleaner, and I'm not sure it's really the place for FMW to start dabbling in it. Fair enough with the obvious things like defrag, but encouraging people to start messing around with msconfig and registry cleaners for the sake of FM just seems like a bad idea to me, even if you stick a disclaimer on there to say it's not your fault when Windows won't load, it just seems a little excessive in my eyes.

ahmufcwafc
17-08-2009, 21:44
I've never had any problems with registry cleaners myself, so would you mind telling me what sort of complications they may cause? Is it more to do with novice users deleting things that they have no clue about or something else? Either way, it could go because it doesn't have all that much influence on system performance.

And I assume the issue you have with msconfig is that people that aren't very 'in the know' would just go ahead and have no processes run on startup. What would you think if we were to put these two tips under some kind of 'for advanced users only' header? Then again, 'advanced' users would probably know about that anyway so it'd be pointless - might as well delete them altogether I suppose. Are there any other changes you'd like to see be made to this page?

Also - does increasing FM's priority actually improve performance? From my experience it just slows it down (presumably because FM may need other programs running in the background in order for it to run). Forgot to mention that earlier.

saulty2805
17-08-2009, 21:49
Is there like an FAQ section on the wiki Alan ? If so, could you link me please :D

ahmufcwafc
17-08-2009, 21:52
Is there like an FAQ section on the wiki Alan ? If so, could you link me please :D
Is it help editing the wiki - adding tables, infoboxes - that sort of things? If that's it, clicky. (http://www.footballmanagerwiki.co.uk/index.php?title=Help:Commands)

saulty2805
17-08-2009, 21:55
Is it help editing the wiki - adding tables, infoboxes - that sort of things? If that's it, clicky. (http://www.footballmanagerwiki.co.uk/index.php?title=Help:Commands)

No, I mean like FAQ's within the forum, which people may look to find on the wiki, e.g. Patches, Screenshots etc etc.

leedsfan88
17-08-2009, 21:59
I did a bit of proof-reading for FMW when it launched, and I've just popped around for another little look, see how everything's going - will probably do some more proof-reading later on.

However, I've just been looking at the tips to make FM run faster, and I'm really not all that convinced. It's a perfectly good idea to have a topic about it, but recommending a registry cleaner? A lot of forums based around helping people to fix computers wouldn't recommend a registry cleaner, and I'm not sure it's really the place for FMW to start dabbling in it. Fair enough with the obvious things like defrag, but encouraging people to start messing around with msconfig and registry cleaners for the sake of FM just seems like a bad idea to me, even if you stick a disclaimer on there to say it's not your fault when Windows won't load, it just seems a little excessive in my eyes.

well msconfig is fairly easy to use, i haven't read the article but deselected IE, iTunes, MSN messager etc to not start up with windows is good for the speed of your computer anyways. As long as you only deselect programs you know and nothing with system beside its all well and good.

but i understand where your coming from but alot of the msconfig is fairly easy if you take care and act on the side of caustion in areas you don't know much about, just like with anything to do with pcs or laptops

ahmufcwafc
17-08-2009, 22:01
Not really, all the patch links are given in the infobox at the top of the game release pages, FM10 screenshots are kept on a separate page in the FM10 section. If you can't find something you're looking for, let me know and I'll link you to it. I could try a links thread in the forum, but I'm not all that sure how it'd work.

In response to Saulty ofc.

saulty2805
17-08-2009, 22:07
Not really, all the patch links are given in the infobox at the top of the game release pages, FM10 screenshots are kept on a separate page in the FM10 section. If you can't find something you're looking for, let me know and I'll link you to it. I could try a links thread in the forum, but I'm not all that sure how it'd work.

In response to Saulty ofc.

Ahh right, just wondered if there was a page for all the people that pop up every now and again asking how to post a screenie or where the patch is, etc.

I know it's not to in demand, but I'll do the Walsall page at a later date :)

ahmufcwafc
17-08-2009, 22:10
Ahh right, just wondered if there was a page for all the people that pop up every now and again asking how to post a screenie or where the patch is, etc.

I know it's not to in demand, but I'll do the Walsall page at a later date :)
http://www.footballmanagerwiki.co.uk/index.php?title=Special:AWCforum&action=st/id41/#post_182

There is one now :p

saulty2805
17-08-2009, 22:11
http://www.footballmanagerwiki.co.uk/index.php?title=Special:AWCforum&action=st/id41/#post_182

There is one now :p

What on earth is that linking too ? :D

ahmufcwafc
17-08-2009, 22:12
The new FAQs thread, just for you.

saulty2805
17-08-2009, 22:14
The new FAQs thread, just for you.

Oh right, guess I had to log in first :)

I didn't want one, just thought it might be beneficial to have a section for the "n00bs"

ahmufcwafc
17-08-2009, 22:16
Well we already have a help section, guess you have to sign in to see it. The thread dedicated to you is staying though :D

saulty2805
17-08-2009, 22:18
Well we already have a help section, guess you have to sign in to see it. The thread dedicated to you is staying though :D

Thanks a lot Alan :D

snootyjim
17-08-2009, 22:23
I've never had any problems with registry cleaners myself, so would you mind telling me what sort of complications they may cause? Is it more to do with novice users deleting things that they have no clue about or something else? Either way, it could go because it doesn't have all that much influence on system performance.

And I assume the issue you have with msconfig is that people that aren't very 'in the know' would just go ahead and have no processes run on startup. What would you think if we were to put these two tips under some kind of 'for advanced users only' header? Then again, 'advanced' users would probably know about that anyway so it'd be pointless - might as well delete them altogether I suppose. Are there any other changes you'd like to see be made to this page?

Also - does increasing FM's priority actually improve performance? From my experience it just slows it down (presumably because FM may need other programs running in the background in order for it to run). Forgot to mention that earlier.

The big issue with registry cleaners, as far as I'm aware, is that you have to trust their "AI" which decides which registry entries are necessary and which are unnecessary. Seeing as AI is what is behind FM managers' decisions to sign 4 DMs in the same transfer window, a lot of people don't have that much faith in it ;). I'm not getting involved in the whole registry cleaners for-and-against debate, I've seen discussions about them getting very heated on PC care forums - I just think that when it's such a contentious issue, an FM wiki is really not the place for it.

Regarding the msconfig software, yes that's pretty much my concern. Okay, it's a useful tool, but it's not the ideal thing to use - it's all too easy for somebody to follow that guide, and start disabling services through the msconfig window, which firstly is a bad way to do it, and secondly is an excellent way to stop a PC from running.

Finally, on the "priority" issue, I think that's an absolutely insane tip to use. If you open up task manager, and check the task manager's process priority, it shows as high. The guide wants FM to be set to high as well, which then means that if FM crashes and starts chewing up CPU cycles, you launch task manager to close it, and they both start fighting over the processor. There might be some credit to setting FM to abovenormal (between normal and high), but if FM is having to work that hard to get CPU cycles then perhaps the user should be closing the program that's trying to use them - in that situation, no doubt other parts of the PC would be struggling to keep up.

well msconfig is fairly easy to use, i haven't read the article but deselected IE, iTunes, MSN messager etc to not start up with windows is good for the speed of your computer anyways. As long as you only deselect programs you know and nothing with system beside its all well and good.

but i understand where your coming from but alot of the msconfig is fairly easy if you take care and act on the side of caustion in areas you don't know much about, just like with anything to do with pcs or laptops

Exactly - I just know from experience that PC experts are very careful when they start spreading tips around the place in case people wreck their machines, and I imagine that the last thing anybody wants is for someone to say that they used the msconfig guide, then their PC wouldn't start and PC World charged them £70 to fix it, so guess who they think is liable. The legal aspect is irrelevant, it's just not worth the hassle.

-------------

My gut reaction is that it's an FM Wiki, so it certainly should contain FM speed boost techniques, but not system wide ones. Things like deleting startup videos, changing preferences, or using a smaller database are all fair game, but I would highly recommend removing the system speed boost advice, spare the obvious stuff like making sure you have adequate RAM, spare HD space (these link to the game's minimum requirements) and defrag (since a defrag tool is built directly into windows) - as for the rest of the more complicated stuff, just providing a link to a suitable free internet resource with some good advice on how to speed up your computer should do the trick. At least then the onus is on somebody else to decide what is good advice and what isn't - with a wiki it's all too easy to add a weird and possibly damaging tweak to the list, when you've got nothing to lose if it causes problems.

Hope that makes sense!

leedsfan88
17-08-2009, 22:31
The big issue with registry cleaners, as far as I'm aware, is that you have to trust their "AI" which decides which registry entries are necessary and which are unnecessary. Seeing as AI is what is behind FM managers' decisions to sign 4 DMs in the same transfer window, a lot of people don't have that much faith in it ;). I'm not getting involved in the whole registry cleaners for-and-against debate, I've seen discussions about them getting very heated on PC care forums - I just think that when it's such a contentious issue, an FM wiki is really not the place for it.

Regarding the msconfig software, yes that's pretty much my concern. Okay, it's a useful tool, but it's not the ideal thing to use - it's all too easy for somebody to follow that guide, and start disabling services through the msconfig window, which firstly is a bad way to do it, and secondly is an excellent way to stop a PC from running.

Finally, on the "priority" issue, I think that's an absolutely insane tip to use. If you open up task manager, and check the task manager's process priority, it shows as high. The guide wants FM to be set to high as well, which then means that if FM crashes and starts chewing up CPU cycles, you launch task manager to close it, and they both start fighting over the processor. There might be some credit to setting FM to abovenormal (between normal and high), but if FM is having to work that hard to get CPU cycles then perhaps the user should be closing the program that's trying to use them - in that situation, no doubt other parts of the PC would be struggling to keep up.

Exactly - I just know from experience that PC experts are very careful when they start spreading tips around the place in case people wreck their machines, and I imagine that the last thing anybody wants is for someone to say that they used the msconfig guide, then their PC wouldn't start and PC World charged them £70 to fix it, so guess who they think is liable. The legal aspect is irrelevant, it's just not worth the hassle.

-------------

My gut reaction is that it's an FM Wiki, so it certainly should contain FM speed boost techniques, but not system wide ones. Things like deleting startup videos, changing preferences, or using a smaller database are all fair game, but I would highly recommend removing the system speed boost advice, spare the obvious stuff like making sure you have adequate RAM, spare HD space (these link to the game's minimum requirements) and defrag (since a defrag tool is built directly into windows) - as for the rest of the more complicated stuff, just providing a link to a suitable free internet resource with some good advice on how to speed up your computer should do the trick. At least then the onus is on somebody else to decide what is good advice and what isn't - with a wiki it's all too easy to add a weird and possibly damaging tweak to the list, when you've got nothing to lose if it causes problems.

Hope that makes sense!

Very valid point totally agree with you, didn't see it from that side, not all people exercise common sense when using a computer like my younger bro lol

ahmufcwafc
17-08-2009, 22:47
Cheers for the advice Jim! I have removed everything you suggested we be rid of I think. Is there anything else you suggest we take out/put in?

Is the recommendation to use GameBooster and Advanced SystemCare something you wouldn't recommend either?

snootyjim
17-08-2009, 23:19
Cheers for the advice Jim! I have removed everything you suggested we be rid of I think. Is there anything else you suggest we take out/put in?

Is the recommendation to use GameBooster and Advanced SystemCare something you wouldn't recommend either?

It's hard to say really, I haven't used either of them so I can't comment - I think you should probably just tread carefully with it. I have no issue with you leaving Spybot and SAS on there, because they're very much tried and tested programs with clear methods, goals and success rates.

As for things like the two you mention, it's much harder to gauge. For example, as far as I'm aware, GameBooster achieves its results primarily by closing down unnecessary programs - who decides what's unnecessary? The clipboard is often deemed unnecessary by certain tweakers, but someone taking a screenshot on FM might disagree - just an example in this situation, I'm sure it doesn't do that.

My gut reaction (you can see I rely on it a lot ;)) would be to remove them until we can get a firm consensus of what is "safe" and what isn't - at the moment we've only got the original author's word for it, and while I don't dispute that, it may not be the correct one.

I'm just rewriting the "affiliated clubs" article as we speak, but perhaps once I've done I'll have a whisk through this article and just see if I can clean it up a bit. It's got no major flaws as is, but it could certainly to with some refocussing and reorganising I reckon, especially because it's been hacked up a bit.

While I'm here, is there any kind of a "to-do" list set up on the Wiki? I was just wondering because during my editing of the affiliates article I noticed that it completely misses the idea of getting a parent club, which is fairly important. I'm not really one for writing original content, more editing what's already there, but I reckon if I put something in the discussion page for that article it would never get read. Just thinking that a special area where people could put ideas for edits/articles in, and then when somebody has some spare time they can browse it, and decide which bit they fancy taking on. I don't think with such a small Wiki the Wikipedia method of putting a bar at the top of each article to say what needs doing with it would work, but a feature to point out what needs doing could be useful :).

ahmufcwafc
17-08-2009, 23:51
If this forum is anything to go by (whether it is or not is largely debatable being honest ;)), GameBooster is a reliable tool. I have had no problems with it myself but then again that doesn't mean a whole lot. Advanced SystemCare doesn't actually do anything to your PC, it just brings defrag and all those kind of tools together.

We had a long, long to do list over the summer - most of which has now been completed. At the moment, there's nothing that's on our agenda really except gathering all FM10 info together, which doesn't take a whole lot of work. At the moment, I'm just going around to random pages, proof-reading them, and adding any info I feel needs adding. A to-do list sounds good to me, although I will need to have a scan through all the pages again before I can decide what needs doing. If anyone could make some recommendations that'd be great.

I understand that there are a lot of articles that are far from complete at the moment, but we have only a handful of regular editors so it can be tedious keeping up with everything at times.

ssestig
17-08-2009, 23:53
Do you think that a general thread for transfers for each month would be a good idea?

ahmufcwafc
18-08-2009, 00:07
Do you think that a general thread for transfers for each month would be a good idea?
It'd take a lot of work but it'd be a good resource for those who make database updates. It might be too much effort than it's worth though if there are already sites for this (which I guess there are, not certain). If you want to do it, go ahead imo :thup:

snootyjim
18-08-2009, 00:08
If this forum is anything to go by (whether it is or not is largely debatable being honest ;)), GameBooster is a reliable tool. I have had no problems with it myself but then again that doesn't mean a whole lot. Advanced SystemCare doesn't actually do anything to your PC, it just brings defrag and all those kind of tools together.

We had a long, long to do list over the summer - most of which has now been completed. At the moment, there's nothing that's on our agenda really except gathering all FM10 info together, which doesn't take a whole lot of work. At the moment, I'm just going around to random pages, proof-reading them, and adding any info I feel needs adding. A to-do list sounds good to me, although I will need to have a scan through all the pages again before I can decide what needs doing. If anyone could make some recommendations that'd be great.

I understand that there are a lot of articles that are far from complete at the moment, but we have only a handful of regular editors so it can be tedious keeping up with everything at times.

Yeah, I know they can get a bit labour-intensive to the point of becoming worthless, I just thought it would be a good way of letting people know that something needs sorting, because the forums don't really seem like the best platform for it.

And now for something completely different...

I was just reading through the general stadium information article, and noticed the claim that there are four factors listed: Money in the bank, Current capacity compared to maximum potential capacity of current stadium, Average attendance in relation to current capacity, Luck. Surely any current debts are considered as well?

ssestig
18-08-2009, 00:12
It'd take a lot of work but it'd be a good resource for those who make database updates. It might be too much effort than it's worth though if there are already sites for this (which I guess there are, not certain). If you want to do it, go ahead imo :thup:

I'll see what everyone else thinks first Alan. Could be hard work like you said but I think that it would be quite good. If it doesn't work then you could delete it. Could be like this:

=1st August=
Transfers

=2nd August=
Transfers

etc.

ahmufcwafc
18-08-2009, 00:15
Yeah, I know they can get a bit labour-intensive to the point of becoming worthless, I just thought it would be a good way of letting people know that something needs sorting, because the forums don't really seem like the best platform for it.
I agree that it would be better to have a to-do list on the main site rather than the forums. What would you think if we were to add a to-do list in similar format to the stub template (http://www.footballmanagerwiki.co.uk/index.php?title=Template:Stub) at the bottom of pages that need work?

Not sure about the stadiums query, although I assume debts also come into account. Pnefc22 will probably no more about it than myself though.

I'll see what everyone else thinks first Alan. Could be hard work like you said but I think that it would be quite good. If it doesn't work then you could delete it. Could be like this:

=1st August=
Transfers

=2nd August=
Transfers

etc.
It's only one page so I don't see what harm it could cause.

ssestig
18-08-2009, 00:25
Infact I'll start it now.

snootyjim
18-08-2009, 00:32
I agree that it would be better to have a to-do list on the main site rather than the forums. What would you think if we were to add a to-do list in similar format to the stub template (http://www.footballmanagerwiki.co.uk/index.php?title=Template:Stub) at the bottom of pages that need work?

Yeah that looks good, I didn't know that template existed but it fits the bill pretty nicely, just a link to the page and a very brief outline of what is required would probably give the improvement efforts a bit more focus.

Not sure about the stadiums query, although I assume debts also come into account. Pnefc22 will probably no more about it than myself though.

Yeah, I don't know a lot about the inner workings of the game I have to admit so I tend to prefer waiting for someone else to confirm what I think before editing :)

I think I'm going to divide the Making FM Faster article into some clearer sections, to keep the PC tweaks and FM tweaks separate. I'll see what it looks like when I'm finished, if it's a load of rubbish I'll put it back again.