does pace mean anything in this game?

ok SI not one to complain we all make mistakes but what the hell is the point in the pace attribute?

examples

my striker has 20 pace 19 accel so on match day i was very surprised to see he was getting out run by a defender on 14 pace 12 accel?

likewise my defender needed to catch a player that had latched onto a long ball so my defender had 20 pace and 19 accel i was very surprised to see the striker had 12 pace and 12 accel and was running the 100 meters in 5 seconds flat leaving my very fast defender red faced?

can someone please explain what the point is to have a pace and accel attribute when it doesn't work?

There are several factors that influence how quickly a player travels along the ground:

Pace is only a reflection of the maximum pace a player can attain, it is not the speed at which a player always travels.

You have to factor in several other atts in order to figure out who will get to a ball first - these can include:

- Determination - basically who wants to get to the ball first, fairly self explanatory.

- Anticipation - is the player expecting the ball to travel that way? One player may already be correctly turned etc.

- Condition - fairly obvious but oft overlooked.

- Agility - Time taken to change direction - if the ball is behind both players, then the higher agility should turn faster.

- Tactics - is the position that you want your player to get to within his tactical constraints? i.e. is it further forward than that player wants to be.

- Morale/mentality - is the player really trying that hard? He may be "coasting" the last 15mins of a game.

etc etc etc

It's not as simple as 20 pace beats 18 pace, this is something that irritated me for a while untill i looked into it, hence i have sypathy for you, but the game does generally follow logic.

Hope this helps.

morale superb won 12 games in a row

Likely to be complacent then - afaik the game only highlights complacency when it is blatant, lower degrees aren't always brought to your attention.

Effectively the player is thinking "i don't need to run 100% for this as we're likely to win anyway" - or at least that's how i'd look at it.

There are several factors that influence how quickly a player travels along the ground:

Pace is only a reflection of the maximum pace a player can attain, it is not the speed at which a player always travels.

You have to factor in several other atts in order to figure out who will get to a ball first - these can include:

- Determination - basically who wants to get to the ball first, fairly self explanatory.

- Anticipation - is the player expecting the ball to travel that way? One player may already be correctly turned etc.

- Condition - fairly obvious but oft overlooked.

- Agility - Time taken to change direction - if the ball is behind both players, then the higher agility should turn faster.

- Tactics - is the position that you want your player to get to within his tactical constraints? i.e. is it further forward than that player wants to be.

- Morale/mentality - is the player really trying that hard? He may be "coasting" the last 15mins of a game.

etc etc etc

It's not as simple as 20 pace beats 18 pace, this is something that irritated me for a while untill i looked into it, hence i have sypathy for you, but the game does generally follow logic.

Hope this helps.

this makes sense because my striker has 14 agility and 15 anticipation

but the rest are what you would expect

Likely to be complacent then - afaik the game only highlights complacency when it is blatant, lower degrees aren't always brought to your attention.

Effectively the player is thinking "i don't need to run 100% for this as we're likely to win anyway" - or at least that's how i'd look at it.

it didn't affect the outcome i was 3-0 up at the time...... might have thought nah i don't get paid enough to chase that down :)

it didn't affect the outcome i was 3-0 up at the time...... might have thought nah i don't get paid enough to chase that down :)

Sounds like we've found the problem then :D

I find that bitching at them occasionally in team talks (even if you've won) can minimise this and make a slovenly player work a bit more - but they're just as likely to throw a strop, so it's a bit of a gamble!

Sounds like we've found the problem then :D

I find that bitching at them occasionally in team talks (even if you've won) can minimise this and make a slovenly player work a bit more - but they're just as likely to throw a strop, so it's a bit of a gamble!

if i'm winning by more than 2 goals at half - time i generally say 1 of 2 things

1, i don't expect your performance to drop

2, don't get careless

if i'm winning by more than 2 goals at half - time i generally say 1 of 2 things

1, i don't expect your performance to drop

2, don't get careless

A lack of variation could be your problem then - the player could be thinking "off he goes again" and just tunes you out.

You can check this by going to assman feedback - if you're consistantly getting "wasn't listening" or similar then the player needs a shouting at.

I generally use "disappointed" for players on <7.5 who should be affecting games more positively - usually gets a good response from the player - just don't try it on drogba lol.

I also use "angry" twice a season or so to try and get a significant improvement from the player - i wouldn't advise using that too often tho.

A lack of variation could be your problem then - the player could be thinking "off he goes again" and just tunes you out.

You can check this by going to assman feedback - if you're consistantly getting "wasn't listening" or similar then the player needs a shouting at.

I generally use "disappointed" for players on <7.5 who should be affecting games more positively - usually gets a good response from the player - just don't try it on drogba lol.

I also use "angry" twice a season or so to try and get a significant improvement from the player - i wouldn't advise using that too often tho.

i'm leeds and in the 11th season - established them as prem champions.... so we played bury in 4th round of fa cup this year and drew 0-0 at bury so i had to go for a replay at home and team talk was angry

we played the replay and won 7-0 lol maybe they did listen that day

ok SI not one to complain we all make mistakes but what the hell is the point in the pace attribute?

examples

my striker has 20 pace 19 accel so on match day i was very surprised to see he was getting out run by a defender on 14 pace 12 accel?

likewise my defender needed to catch a player that had latched onto a long ball so my defender had 20 pace and 19 accel i was very surprised to see the striker had 12 pace and 12 accel and was running the 100 meters in 5 seconds flat leaving my very fast defender red faced?

can someone please explain what the point is to have a pace and accel attribute when it doesn't work?

was your player running backwards/sideways to the ball by any chance?

i've noticed that if one of my players has a shot at goal and the keeper parrys it, 99 out of 100 times, the first person who gets to the ball is always the other team, even if they're all in the dressing room yet to step onto the pitch, the ME will artificially "make" the other team get the ball first by making your man run slow or whatever.

or if by pure luck the rebound does come to your team, you will be offside or your man will dally about on the ball and pass back (even if he has a clear shot on goal) which the other team intercepts and puts out.

its so annoying!

Very often there is a good explanation for it, Paul Collyer also said even a player with 97% condition would be slow if he had gone on a long run just a minute before the highlight you watch.

But there are also problems with the engine. Like player A decides to run the first 25 yards of the sprint duel sideways and therefore not having a chance to keep up with player B.

On the contrary, pace and acceleration matter more in this game. They take more "weight" in the CA points. 20 pace and 20 acceleration will suck out a lot of technical ability, look at Nathan Dyer, very high for pace and acceleration but his technical ability isn't very good.

THe defender could have high positioning, high anticipation, good work rate and good tackling, and that would be it.

Archived