Poor AI

The AI in FM2008 is a poor piece of work. I've been big favourite in many matches and the post-match commentary states that I've should have won a lot of matches with big margin. Nevertheless I've lost almost every match in the Bulgarian League and had to be satisfy when I manage to make a poor draw. I've been stated no.1 for the league title by the media. I've adjusted the tactics with the tactical ideas of "Vaughans hints and tips". In one of the recent training matches my opponent had 50-1 chance to win the match. Still my opponent made 17 shots and 4 on goal against mine with 5 shots and 3 on goal. I barely managed to win 2-1. This is ridiculous. I'm thinking serious about quitting playing FM until the AI is made better. The computercontrolled clubs have a too big advantages over the usercontrolled club. In a standalone match I could have accepted it, but not when this happens match after match against much poorer opponents. This is not likely to happen IRL. Everytime it's always the usercontrolled clubs who suffers. The computercontrolled clubs nearly almost manage to obtain the prediction of the media. Strange !!

The funny thing is that everytime I change the tactics during a match it always worsen the result. Everytime the computercontrolled club change the tactics, even if it's a weak opponent, it always improve things on the pitch for them. It seems that the AI helps the computercontrolled club never to do a bad decision. It's always the optimal solution for the club. RIDICULOUS !! A computercontrolled club has never done a really terrible game against me, but can lose heavily against another computercontrolled club which is predicted as a much better site.

The AI does not cheat!

Still my opponent made 17 shots and 4 on goal against mine with 5 shots and 3 on goal. I barely managed to win 2-1.

Surely you had the advantage here? They had more shots but you won 2-1. Plus they has 17 shots and only managed 4 on goal, they could be shooting from 50 yards for all we know.

Head over to the tactics forum and look for help there. If nothing else, download a good tactic that other have had success with and use that. Then if you want your own tactic then you can see what is successful and implement it into your own tactic.

Sorry mate, I know you don't want to hear this but this problem has nothing to do with the AI cheating you and everything to do with the fact that you're not very good at the game.

If you're regularly getting beaten by teams that are 50-1 to win then does that not tell you something?

You say this wouldn't happen in real life, do you not think that's because good clubs have good managers? From the sounds of it you're getting beaten despite being the strong favourite, therefore you're a poor manager. Plenty of other people manage to have success without the AI cheating them out of victories.

Listen, I'm rubbish at Guitar Hero. Do I therefore go onto the developers website and claim that it's in fact the fault of Guitar Hero itself because it never lets me win? No, I move on and just find something else to do that I enjoy more. Perhaps you should do the same?

Originally posted by Nomis07:

I'm starting to get bored of agreeing with chopper99 icon_biggrin.gif

Although I am good at Guitar Hero, but that is because my daughter loves watching it so i'm allowed to play it more than FM.

icon_biggrin.gif Makes a change from being at home where my missus generally doesn't agree with me, especially when it comes to playing FM.

As for Guitar Hero I think I need to buy it. I've played it a couple of times and like I say I was rubbish at it. But it looks like the type of game that will be excellent once you put a bit of effort in to get used to it. A bit like FM really icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by backpackant:

I tried playing Call of Duty 4 the other day but the AI kept killing me. I tried absolutely EVERYTHING but to no avail.

I'm going back to Call of Duty 3.

I hope you went onto the Call of Duty 4 forums and enlightened everone else to your discovery that the AI cheats and will not let you win....

Originally posted by backpackant:

I'm afraid I'm banned for calling the manufacturer's CEO a cowboy scumbag who only cares about money... then shot his dog.

That seems a bit harsh, I think a yellow card and a warning would have suffice?

Originally posted by Nomis07:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by backpackant:

I'm afraid I'm banned for calling the manufacturer's CEO a cowboy scumbag who only cares about money... then shot his dog.

That seems a bit harsh, I think a yellow card and a warning would have suffice? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He was very close to his dog.

To Neji. I've never stated that the AI cheats. Let's see it like in the Chess game. Some years ago it was impossible to beat a chess game for normal people because the AI could calculate millions of options in seconds. That's impossible for human beings. The biggest chessplayers in the world, at that time, had problems even getting a remis. What do you think normal chessplayers could achieve? Therefore, the software developers, had to come up with a way to let the chessgame make mistakes, like normal human beings do. They developed a way to play against other computercontrolled players with good and/or poor qualities in a rating system. This to obtain interest in the game for ordinary chessgame lovers. It's not funny when you never have a chance of beating the opponent.

This behaviour is not satisfactory in the FM game, in my opinion. I guess the developers of the FM game let the AI do millions of calculations during the match, which a manager IRL is not even close to achieve. I guess the AI compares all the data given, all from the attributes from player to player, to the tactics. And this can be done in just fractions of seconds. Don't forget that the developers can make the game do a number of quick calculations that we will never see or sense in the game. And I guess that you, Neji, is not in the staff of Sigames that have developed the game and therefore can't tell/understand/see what calculations it does. I guess thay have never revealed it to you, either. So, HOW CAN YOU TELL ?

The FM game lacks logically behaviour in following way for the usercontrolled player:

The media expectations in additons to the touting of being big favourites in a singel match together having one of the best squads in the league, should mean something. It's no sense that the AI calculate the best way, that the computercontrolled manager can do, even to the poorest clubs, not taking in considerations that changing the formation and playing style, normally worsen the outcome much more often than you gain something from it. In my experience, the computercontrolled changes almost always improve the results for them. Therefore it must be som heavy calculations the AI does to obtain this.

Archived