Teams you have rejected

While managing Leyton Orient i have rejected managerial positions with:

Kilmarnock, Udinese, Atalanta, Valladolid, Hibernian, Aberdeen and Milan( glad i did as i went on to win the CL that season)

who have you rejected and who were you managing at the time?

In my 30 season game i rejected several huge jobs which I hadn't applied for.

Bayern Munich 3 times

Man Utd

Liverpool twice

It is quite satisfying to turn down manchester utd, not because I dislike them but because they are the biggest club in the world, Everyone should try turning them down....

One thing i've noticed is that you often get offered international jobs from big nations without applying and it's quite easy to turn those down.

Turned down AC Milan twice whilst managing Liverpool. The first time was in mid season and I had a really long hard think about it. (Put my PSP down and took the dog for a walk). I was lying in fifth place with Liverpool with my job 'insecure' and Milan were fifth in Serie A.

The only thing that kept me at Anfield was that I just invested £40m in the best youth players in the world and I wanted to see them come through the ranks.

I went on to win the Champions League that very season, beating, yes, AC Milan 1-0 in the final.

Nice to see you playing as Darlington Ridley - I am loving the challenge tbh though this year it looks like the quadruple is on the cards - Premiership, Europe, FA and League cups. Darlington is finally unstoppable with the signing of Fabregas!

Back on topic

Playing as Darlington - I got offered the Sunderland job and £36.5 million to help them avoid relegation - I rejected it. I applied for the Arsenal position but was turned down (I would have rejected them also but want to see who will take me).

I am in my seventh season as Darlington and - Current stats:

Won 4 league titles (One premiership title - last season) - currently 1st after 20 games Man U is 2nd a massive 10 points behind me (Darlington is on FIRE!! 2 losses)

Won 2 league cups (Last two years in a row in final this season)

Runner up in FA cup (last season) - currently in Semis

Finalist in champions league (last season) - in knock out stages this season

Jase123, I have with interest noted your achievements with Darlington. What formation/tactics are you playing? I am Charlton in my 5th season having finished 11th & 1st in Championship, then 3rd & 2nd in the Prem also reaching the semi final of the Champions league. Not fantastic considering some of the other people's successes on this site, and I feel I may struggle to go that one further and actually win something, was just wondering what you recommend?

Turned down Everton - Van Dar Sar is now managing them :p

Cabbles:

1) A good tactic (we have talked about Bugels in the other thread) and stick with it.

2) Happy players & continuity - I effectively have 11 starters that play every premiership game - fitness permiting. Group stages and low level cup games are played with a completely separate 11 just to keep the others happy and I revert to my mainstays come the business end of cups.

3) Good regens, I have in excess of 20 players in Darlington reserves all under 20 (15y/o - 19y/o) where they sit doing intensive training all season or are out on loans. If buy 20 they are average I flick them. My current team is about 90% regens now and the large majority have come via buying cheap 15-16 y/os or Bosmans.

4) If a player is causing a strained relationship with more than 2-3 of my starting lineup I sell him regardless of how good he is, there is always someone else.

I have only been playing this game for a month or so but the above is what I do so far (it seems to work) - all over this site there are miles more knowledgable posts than what I just said.

I will start a new career soon and see how easy it is to replicate with a new team. I want to use a 4-4-2 as it seems I have soooo many good midfielders getting no game time or alternatively Jambo 3-5-2 or a variant (I have never tried this) and I note a distinct lack of quality defenders in game compared to other positions.

Archived