Costs of Running a Lower League Club

All,

How much does it cost to run a Conference club per year? Here are some figures that you may find interesting:

£200 per match to switch on (and keep on) the floodlights

£2,000 per year for match and training balls

£35,000 per year for 1st team travel to away games

£10,000 per year for match officials at 30 home matches

£3,500 per year for the utility bills at the home ground

£4,000 per year for energy drinks, energy gels and jaffa cakes

£15,000 per year for hotel stays on long distance away matches

£9,000 each year for pitch re-seeding and maintenance (every May)

All the above are approximate and are for Ebbsfleet United.

I have no reason for posting this other than general interest and that it may explain some of the 'other costs' in the budgets in FM. For those of you who hold 'toilet seat press conferences', you can use it to explain why you paid AFC Wimbledon a huge amount to visit your 60,000 seat stadium for a pre-season friendly.

Martin

All,

How much does it cost to run a Conference club per year? Here are some figures that you may find interesting:

£200 per match to switch on (and keep on) the floodlights

£2,000 per year for match and training balls

£35,000 per year for 1st team travel to away games

£10,000 per year for match officials at 30 home matches

£3,500 per year for the utility bills at the home ground

£4,000 per year for energy drinks, energy gels and jaffa cakes

£15,000 per year for hotel stays on long distance away matches

£9,000 each year for pitch re-seeding and maintenance (every May)

All the above are approximate and are for Ebbsfleet United.

I have no reason for posting this other than general interest and that it may explain some of the 'other costs' in the budgets in FM. For those of you who hold 'toilet seat press conferences', you can use it to explain why you paid AFC Wimbledon a huge amount to visit your 60,000 seat stadium for a pre-season friendly.

Martin

Round about £90k a year if i worked it out correctly! on my games my BSP clubs seem to leak that much money in a couple of months!:p

£35,000 for away travel? Do they hire limos or something? For 23 league games and say 3 cup matches, that's nearly £1350 per match. I find that hard to believe.

How much does coach hire cost? Also, what about stopovers on the way (Kent to Manchester without a pea break?) Don't forget, that there are also more cup competitions lower down the league (FA, FA Trophy, FA Vase and county competitions in some cases as well) where a Conference team would be expected to do quite well. So it's probably closer to 30.

Sometimes they may take a train.

Also, this is an approximate figure and could be a up to £5,000 higher or lower depending on how successful the team are (and how greedy the coach company is).

2K for balls seems high as well. Plus are'nt match balls usually sponsered? Interesting post though.

It's match AND training balls. Given that there are usually upwards of a dozen balls at each match and the number of balls that must wear out in training or get lost, this isn't a unreasonable figure.

As for sponsoring, that will cover the cost, but the cost is still there.

How much does coach hire cost? Also, what about stopovers on the way (Kent to Manchester without a pea break?) Don't forget, that there are also more cup competitions lower down the league (FA, FA Trophy, FA Vase and county competitions in some cases as well) where a Conference team would be expected to do quite well. So it's probably closer to 30.

Sometimes they may take a train.

Also, this is an approximate figure and could be a up to £5,000 higher or lower depending on how successful the team are (and how greedy the coach company is).

For any local matches (which county competitions would certainly fall under), there would not be a need to hire a coach.

Also, a club doesn't play in both the FA Trophy and FA Vase. They play in one or the other depending on where they are on the pyramid.

Archived