Query! Cheapest/Smallest New Stadium:

Hello.

I'm 10 seasons into my very-enjoyable Harland and Wolff Welders career in the Northern Irish Premier League and have accrued £700,000+ due to some shrewd business deals and lucky cup runs. This is a decent, nay, fantastic capital sum for a team of such minute stature. Much of this is to be invested in Youth systems and training centres to give the club's future a solid foundation, like the other, bigger Belfast clubs. I am already challenging for N.I. honours year upon year and believe we can overtake Linfield in the pecking order for players and honours. Perhaps not Glentoran just yet. I'm enjoying the challenge in taking the club forward to the next step; European qualification.

However, my stadium isn't up to my lofty standards of grandeur. It holds bang-on 1,000 spectators and we almost always fill our allotted allocation. I want to give some other lucky punters the chance to view the marvellous spectacle that is my fantastic yellow and black couloured lil heroes. The council don't share my views and wont allow any building on our current Tillysburn Park site. All signs point towards that venture - a brand-spanking-new, shiny, corporately-depressing megabowl stadium! I'll settle for a 4,000 not-even-all-seater effort, if I'm honest. As long as it gets the crowds in.

So, my questions to you (SI, gurus, mods or whoever!) are....

Q1) How much money would I realistically need to convince my loyal chairman to knock me up an arena?

Q2) ANy of you had a new stadium built at really small clubs for "a pittance"?

The council are just being fussy!

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=wilgar+park&sll=54.582161,-5.945449&sspn=0.009675,0.033045&ie=UTF8&ll=54.614255,-5.863255&spn=0.001246,0.00515&t=h&z=19

Could easily fit a massive stand in behind the goal, there. Maybe bulldoze over one of the training pitches...

To be honest mate, the standard of league your in does not require stadiums, more like a field with a few chairs along the sideline!

But 700k isnt really enough to even consider a stadium when your club stature is that low, you may need 2 or 3 million before your board decide they want an attendance top up.

Just make do with the stadium you have at the moment, get successful, bring in some cups and maybe a league title and your chairman wont be able to refuse your request.

Archived