What do you do while playing?

Other then play of course:D What different traditions and routines you all have, what rituals you go through before various situation ect...? It'd hard to imagine that someone would/could just sit by the computer for 3-4 hours at a time just staring at the screen, comletely consentrating at the game and doing nothing else. So what else do you get up to while managing your team?

One obvious thing that instantly spurs to mind is music, i reckon that that's one thing that most of us do during the game is to listen to music, i do that always, and only stop it during matches, to give my comlete attention to the match in hand.

Then there's the beverage too, most of us again i reckon are always drinking something too, for me it's always either coffee or tea, a beer maby if i know that i'm about to end the game, havent been so keen to try the game drunk, nothing good would come out of it:o

during off-seasons, when no games, i tend to do lot of the 'work' (contracts, organising training & friendlys, player transfers ect...) during the same game-day, then i'd be busy doing whatever it is i do when i'm home, cook, clean, watch telly, surf the net, do the mandatory maintanance to my long-distance relationship... Then when ever have a change i check any updates i have and skip forward again.

I also have distant memories of when i was in scool i sometimes made my homework while playing cm97/98 or cm01/02, the latter was btw a bloody brilliant version imo how i miss it:)

There's not much more i can come up with really, i guess there's no all that much you can do while sitting by the computer, except...:eek:

Also for those who have this game on a laptop, what are the most interesting places you've played fm ever at? the next time i'm having a long flight i might take my laptop with me onboard and use the long boring flight doing something ''productive''.

Anyways, give us the dirty details of what ever it is you get up to while managing. Just keep in mind that the information you give here might be gathered and used by SI-games, for whatever purpose that suites they're needs.

I keep meaning to ask people what their desktop looks like when they're playing. It's interesting to know what everyones set up is like.

I tend to have Football Manager open on the left-hand side of the screen in a window, winamp and IRC/Instant Messenger apps on the right. Browser window open on second monitor.

I tend to watch TV shows whilst playing as opposed to just music, and spend a lot of time doing general surfing/chatting.

I keep meaning to ask people what their desktop looks like when they're playing. It's interesting to know what everyones set up is like.

I tend to have Football Manager open on the left-hand side of the screen in a window, winamp and IRC/Instant Messenger apps on the right. Browser window open on second monitor.

QUOTE]

well, i for one have to have the game on full screen when i play, i dunno why when i'm actually playing i need to completely focus, then other things, including the music are just backround. when i stop consentrating i usually notice that i've progressed over halfway though an david bowie album without even hearing a song, and my cup is empty, without having any memory of even drinking it (though it was full before i had to do something in the game).

LMAO fantastic! I thought I was alone in my little crazy world but it appears not. Thanks for that!

Actually, i just remember that back in the old day of cm i had when reading the commentation during matches one (or both cant remember) of my hands fisted, lol i'm not joking, and when someone was watching or close by i felt i couldn't do it as it would seem too daft, so whenever someone else was in the room i felt really uncomfortable playing a match, because i'm my head i wasn't able to keep my usual 'match-stance', in other words having my fist in front of me. It sound incredible and incredibly stupid i know but it's true:o

Actually, i just remember that back in the old day of cm i had when reading the commentation during matches one (or both cant remember) of my hands fisted, lol i'm not joking, and when someone was watching or close by i felt i couldn't do it as it would seem too daft, so whenever someone else was in the room i felt really uncomfortable playing a match, because i'm my head i wasn't able to keep my usual 'match-stance', in other words having my fist in front of me. It sound incredible and incredibly stupid i know but it's true:o

Thats crazy man. But i understand you totally ......

I tend to just have FM opened when playing. the tv will be on in the background and i will have to occasionally answer a question from the wife. i to rescrict this to one word answers as most of my vocal chords have been used telling my wingers to track back and defend.

The beverage when playing varies from a beer at the weekends to a coffee in the week.

I tend to just have FM opened when playing. the tv will be on in the background and i will have to occasionally answer a question from the wife. i to rescrict this to one word answers as most of my vocal chords have been used telling my wingers to track back and defend.

The beverage when playing varies from a beer at the weekends to a coffee in the week.

My gf says i have a delayed reaction to whatever she says. She asks something and i respond about 30 seconds later by saying, 'what?'. Bythat time she cant be ar*ed repeating herself and i dont have to talk to her, what a great relationship i have - i love FM and it loves me lol

I always have FM up in windowed mode, top right of the screen, with MSN open, Firefox with sigames forums, bbc sport page etc. open. I always have the TV on in the background with either sky sports news/soccer AM/live match on. I get food/drinks etc. and always eat infront of the monitor. I only really ever leave my chair when I have to have a meal with my girlfriend or going to the toilet.

Oh and OP I have played the game drunk once or twice and always regretted it the next day, so you're right - never play whilst drunk. It should be a law :D

I play in full screen but have solitaire open and I'll have a game when international or league cup fixtures are being generated. I like it hen the UEFA cup is on 5 tv, I'll watch it whilst playing.

Has anyone ever browsed a left handed website whilst on FM?

Depends on many things.

If I'm working from home, I'll have my work laptop going along with FM09 on my personal laptop beside it. If I need to concentrate on a work thing I'll let FM lapse a bit. Beverage of choice = tea/coffee.

Day off, during the day, I'll invariably have the telly on. If not a football match I'll be catching up with my Sky+ stuff from in the week and drink tea. Or watch a film too. On occasion, I've started to lose form, which I put down to lack of concentration - you know, just using my previous tactic without looking at the scout report/weather/size of pitch etc - in which case I'll stop playing.

On an evening it has to be a film and some red wine. Never beer - it's not good for the concentration.

I know this looks like I play FM all the time, but really I don't. This is just when I DO play.

LMAO fantastic! I thought I was alone in my little crazy world but it appears not. Thanks for that!

I reckon loads of people do this, i myself hover over my teams tactics button! Not for supersticious reasons, just so i get the tactics up straight away if i need to make a huge "game changing" decision,:D

The game is just one of the things I do when I'm at my computer.

I also have several websites open. Forums (including here), Internet radio, MSN, even Wikipedia.

I tend to have the Wiki page of the team I am currently managing open as well.

While the game is processing during pre-season or after a match, I find myself either using my dumb-bells, or playing darts. I alsop doodle a lot. I'll look at the piece of paper after a couple ofhours and it's got the most random stuff written or drawn on it.

I used to have to sacrifice watching footy when playing Fm as the wife wouldnt moan if I let her have the sky + remote, but 2 weeks ago I finally figured out I can watch sky sports online. Now she is slightly happier thinking she has one over me as I am not watching SS, little does she know...... Unlucky wifey.

I have FM in windowed mode and generally something like itunes/or tv on. I often have BBC iplayer open as well... Matchdays (IRL) will generally be on the tv whilst playing (Unless the missus is home, of course!)...

I do have to admit, I struggle to multi-task when playing FM though, having tv/music on is purely for 'background' noise, i never really pay much attention to them!

all these talks about ''ipods'', ''itunes'' and ''podcasts'' and ''what if's'' and ''why not's'', jeez i'm only 23 but have i really fallen that much behind from the latest edge on this front? I consider myself of being high-tech when i'm using a 1GB mp3 on my way to work:confused:

Archived