New processor

Hello. I have a question about performance about FM08. I am currently running FM with my P4 2.8ghz/~1.8GB DDR/40GB machine. It runs smoothly enough when I have like 5-8 leagues. I would like to play the game with many more leagues (20 or so)and I overheard that game actually uses dual core processors quite effectively...is this true? Let's say I would go and buy Intel core 2 ~2.6ghz and 2GB (or 4) DDR2 and ofcourse a much larger HD...would the game be much faster? I have noticed that when I am running out of HD space (less than 500mb) FM and the whole PC slows down significantly. Could a large HD solve my problems?

I apologize about this messy question and if this comes to a wrong forum.

Hello. I have a question about performance about FM08. I am currently running FM with my P4 2.8ghz/~1.8GB DDR/40GB machine. It runs smoothly enough when I have like 5-8 leagues. I would like to play the game with many more leagues (20 or so)and I overheard that game actually uses dual core processors quite effectively...is this true? Let's say I would go and buy Intel core 2 ~2.6ghz and 2GB (or 4) DDR2 and ofcourse a much larger HD...would the game be much faster? I have noticed that when I am running out of HD space (less than 500mb) FM and the whole PC slows down significantly. Could a large HD solve my problems?

I apologize about this messy question and if this comes to a wrong forum.

I'd say if you bought the kind of machine you mentioned then it will definitely speed FM up considerably. I'm not sure how well FM utilises duel cores at the moment, but in general the better the processor the faster FM is. RAM is of course fairly important, but I doubt you'd notice much difference between 2GB and 4GB in terms of FM.

As for your hard disk, a larger one won't actually speed the game up I don't think, but it will cut down the probability of you running out of hard disk space and the game slowing right down.

ok i have the processor you are thinking of buying and you will notice a hell of a difference as i did

2 gig should be just fine

and hard drive space the bigger the better as the game uses a lot of file swapping so needs space to put files back and forth

Before you go out and spend your money make sure that your motherboard can take a new processor like the one your interested in. You can't just go and put any old processor in your machine. It might even be more benificial to just buy a new machine.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by trekman:

Before you go out and spend your money make sure that your motherboard can take a new processor like the one your interested in. You can't just go and put any old processor in your machine. It might even be more benificial to just buy a new machine. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As Trekman mentions you won't be able to buy a new dual core procesor and put it into your machine. The P4's are a different fitting to the new processors.

There are many other things to consider too. If you get a new motherboard to run a new dual core, you will need new DDR2 ram as well. Your ram is only going to be DDR.

The machine you have now may have on-board graphics or more likely an AGP graphics card. Newer boards are likely to be PCI fittings.

It's not as easy as buying a new processor and plugging it in. Make sure you look fully into any new components before rushing in.

A new larger hard drive will help the system you have now. 40gig isn't much to store an operating system and all your programs on. If you do look to get a new one, your system is more likely run an IDE one rather than SATA.

Archived