How to ruin a promising youngster

Hello all,

I have a promising youngster who has been getting better and better over the last two seasons. I recently decided to experiment with the 'tutoring' feature and I am now banging my head against the wall because I fear I may have made a huge mistake to the detriment of the most promising youth player ever to come out of my football club.

I assigned my youngster to another right-back who has high influence because I hoped that someday the lad would be able to take over as captain of his home club. However, nothing has happened to his influence and the whole tutoring thing seems to be having a negative effect on his mental stats. In particular, his determination has dropped by two or three points over the last two months. His influence hasn't got any better at all.

Is there any way to stop him being tutored before I totally ruin his mental stats? What about recovering his determination?

Does anyone know of any good guide to tutoring youth players - I haven't really found very much on the forum search.

Grateful for any responses.

C.

which team are you? if you have feeder clubs, send him out on loan and then recall him immediately. if you are a parent club, offer him out on loan as normal, and do the same thing.

i think what tutoring does is equalize stats, meaning a tutor with good mental stats will teach the pupil those attributes in particular. if the tutor has lower stats for determination for example (especially if his mentality is something other than determination), the pupil will decline in that attribute. it's like teaching a child a language from early age and then moving to another country with a new language, they would not be mentally developed enough to remember both.

I just found this on FM Britain:

Which method of tutorship should I choose?

When you select the player interaction menu of your youngsters, you will see three options:

1 Should see player x would as the ideal role model

2 Should learn from player x the mental approach

3 Should learn from player x

1 Ideal role: This should be reserved for players that have both PPMs and character traits that you want to pass on. The determination, work rate and influence of the tutor should always be higher then the follower’s.

2 Mental approach: A good way if you want to influence the character of the youngster. Even tutors without any PPMs, but high determination and professional character are very well suited. If you have highly-talented youngsters with low determination or ambition, you can assign them to several tutors in a row to completely change their personality.

3 Learn from: This should be used if the follower already has a very good character or even better one then his tutor and you just want him to learn his PPMs.

The bit in bold seems to be absolutely vital as I have managed to find out!

C.

Originally posted by Klimowicz:

which team are you? if you have feeder clubs, send him out on loan and then recall him immediately. if you are a parent club, offer him out on loan as normal, and do the same thing.

This worked perfectly by the way - cheers for that. icon14.gif

Now just got to wait until the list of potential tutors re-appears. How long does that take? Any ideas?

It's a shame that you can't ask your assistant manager to make a recommendation, to make the whole process of tutoring idiot proof.

The manual is less than useful regarding tutoring.

C.

Like Klimowicz says, tutoring equalizes stats.

I think the only stats affected are determination, and various hidden personality stats, like ambition, loyalty, and professionalism.

So if a player with 10 determination was tutored by someone with 17 det, their determination will increase up to 17 at most.

If a player with 19 det is tutored by someone with 17 det, they'd lose a couple of points of determination.

I'm not sure if that thing from FM Britain is correct, I don't think influence does anything to help, and the three options seem to do the same thing for me.

I've seen Influence and Determination increase, never Team Work though. Influence only seem to increase 3-4 points at most, but I've taken a player with Determination 5 to 16 using 2 seperate sessions of tutoring. This can really go the other way as well if you aren't careful as you've noticed.

Otherwise I've been thinking it still works the same in 07 as in 08 and haven't gone to bad so far.

Haven't had any chance to transfer a PPM yet, but will try eventually.

no probs crouchaldinho, glad to help.

for the record, i tutored Henri Lansbury at Arsenal with Hleb, Fabregas, Rosicky, Gerrard & Van Der Vaart. i retrained him as an AMRC too. he has about 12 PPMs from those players, there was never any conflict with personality clashes, and he has become the best english player in the game.

he was called up to the full england squad at 18, 3 games before i was offered the england job. the amount of assists from him each season is phenomenal, his Gerrard long passing & shooting is always spot on. he'll be my captain very soon tbh.

his dribbling from Rosicky in particular has improved his pace & acceleration, i've seen him in other peoples games with good stats but low pace. selling Cesc was not a bad idea in the end.

being totally honest, the game usually doesn't allow such developement, Henri probably has 20 for adaptability. no other player has been so receiptive to tutoring in my FM games since tutoring was introduced.

Originally posted by DarthInsinuate:

I'm not sure if that thing from FM Britain is correct, I don't think influence does anything to help, and the three options seem to do the same thing for me.

Can anyone confirm this?

Personally, I have seen some evidence that the FM Britain thing is correct.

One of my players has been tutored by a guy with 'dictates tempo' as his PPM. The youngster has picked it up after six months of tutoring on the 'Learn from' option. The senior squad member with the PPM has absolutely awful mental stats compared to the youngster, who is already very determined. Using this 'Learn from' option does not seem to have had any effect on his mental stats.

I don't want to ruin the best young player my team have ever had at the club by selecting the wrong option!

What are your experiences guys?

You seem to have had a lot of success Klimowicz - can you shed any light on each option?

C.

there's not much light to shed tbh. i don't try and match personalities, i usually take advice from my assman as to who should tutor who.

however, it might make a difference if the tutor epitomizes the squad personality in his own personality, ie determined squad and player. this ensures that he fits in with the squad, and if most of the squad have similar personalities, you're sorted.

all regens and most real youngsters start with balanced personalities. this allows more chance of positive results from tutoring. anything else would need to match up with the tutors personality. i've got Lansbury tutoring a hot prospect at the moment.

Originally posted by Klimowicz:

there's not much light to shed tbh. i don't try and match personalities, i usually take advice from my assman as to who should tutor who.

I must be missing something! icon_eek.gif

How do you ask your ass man to recommend someone to tutor your youngster?

C.

Originally posted by crouchaldinho:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Klimowicz:

I must be missing something! icon_eek.gif

How do you ask your ass man to recommend someone to tutor your youngster?

C. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

click "training overview" or "coach report". it doesn't always show for every player.

I'm afraid that I'm still totally confused about tutoring on FM08. Can anyone help me understand what the different options do?

It appears that the previous information I posted from FM-Britain does not hold true for FM08, at least as far as I can see.

The associated inbox comments for each tutoring option are detailed below in the hope that they might offer a clue as to what they really mean.

Option 1) Would be ideal as a role model brings up the following statement: '...performances on the pitch and attitude off it would be greatly improved'

Option 2) Benefit by adopting the approach brings up this statement: '... adopting his approach to the game both mentally and in terms of his movement on the pitch'

Option 3) Can learn from the player brings up this statement: '...approach to the game both on and off the pitch'

Now, this makes things about as clear as mud to me. However, I am making the following tentative conclusions:

Option 1, the 'ideal role model' choice, concentrates primarily on mental stats and attitude. This would seem to match with my experience with my promising youth player - his determination dropped when tutored by a player with lower determination when I selected this option. It seems unlikely that option 1 has anything to do with PPMs - at least I have not seen this in my utilisation of this option.

FM-Britain seems partly correct in this instance. My tentative conclusion is that this option has an effect on both a player's hidden mental attributes and his overt characteristics, such as determination etc. It is vital to have a tutor with high mental stats and the right sort of personality. My findings regarding the PPMs are inconclusive.

Option 2, the 'adopting the approach' choice, seems to be about character, just as FM Britain suggests. FM Britain argues that this option deals with hidden mental character stats rather than with the overt mental stats (such as determination etc.)

The statement suggests that PPMs are also involved with the 'movement on the pitch' phrase. So, I'm concluding that this option is

to change your youth's character and add PPMs - it will not have an effect on the visible mental stats. This is my tentative conclusion. Therefore, I agree with FM Britain here.

Option 3, the 'can learn from' choice, is about learning the game 'on and off the pitch'. Thus, I expect that this is to do with character traits and not visible mental stats. FM Britain suggest that this option is useful only for transferring PPMs. I've recently had a youth on this and he has picked up no PPMs at all from his tutor. So I feel FM Britain might be wrong here.

To summarise:

- 1) Ideal role model = character, visible mental stats (possibly PPMs - not sure?)

- 2) Adopting the approach = character and PPMs (I think)

- 3) Can learn from = Character traits only

Any comments would be welcomed.

C.

Originally posted by crouchaldinho:

Has anyone got any wisdom regarding tutoring options...?

C.

I read on these forums somewhere before, cant find the link but IIRC

1. Ideal role model - learns PPM's & mental attributes

2. Adopting the approach - Mental only

3. Can learn from - PPM's only

Archived