forward runs & mentality = same thing?

I dont want FM to get easier, but as many others, I want the tactics interface to be clearer/non-contradictional. I want as less sliders as possible. Now i know there are many threads about the tactics, but this question in particular caught my eye, so i reckon a separate thread is in order.

When you have the ability to have a "20-notch offensive" mentality combined with forward runs set to "rarely", you have the "chance" to mess it up. Why dont you put the forward runs variable into the mentality setting?

suggestion:

mentality: 1-7, 7-13, 13-20

forward runs: rarely, mixed, often

They're still different things though. I have a playmaking midfielder. I want him to be attacking, but I don't want him running forward. Likewise, just because I'm going defensive doesn't mean I don't want forward runs.

(oh, and you might want to change your boundaries ;))

The higher toward 'attacking', you put the mentality slider, the more forward passes a player will attemp to make. They also take up a more advanced position on the field too than their actual position (as in tactical position on the formation screen) suggests. The third thing is they make 'riskier' passes and take more chances on the ball. This works the opposite, the more you you put the slider towards 'defensive'.

The higher toward 'attacking', you put the mentality slider, the more forward passes a player will attemp to make. They also take up a more advanced position on the field too than their actual position (as in tactical position on the formation screen) suggests. The third thing is they make 'riskier' passes and take more chances on the ball. This works the opposite, the more you you put the slider towards 'defensive'.

positional difference that mentality makes is minimal. i believe we should be able to asign player positions in more detailed way (defensive-attacking shapes maybe?), forward passes should be influenced by passing style and tempo (longer and faster the passing, ball moves forward earlier) and isn't it more logical that riskyness would be a part of creative freedom rather than mentality (afterall if you want player to be crative he needs to take some risk also)?

all imo

Archived