Best Lead youve thrown away?

Not sure its to do with me being bad, but I once had a 5-0 lead in a match, and in the last 30 minutes or so the other team came back to 5-5 then pipped it in the 95th minute with a 6th goal. Think I was so furious I had one of those raging AI cheat posts somewhere even though I knew it didn't it still felt like it lol.

I was happily playing my FM08 save, on course for yet another Bundesliga title and into the Knockout Round of the CL. The team was in good form and I was well on course to match my board expectations for the year, the only stumbling block being Man Utd in the knockout round. I was pleasantly surprised to steam roller United in the home leg 3-0, Schweinsteiger was in blistering form and I thought a place in the QF's was all but confirmed.

We maintained our good form in the next two league games and despite the three goal advantage I decided to play the same team in the away leg at Old Trafford. 10 minutes (highlights only) and nine goals later, I was sat open mouth reading about my teams exit from the Champions League after a 7-2 away leg loss :mad:

In FM09 the worst lead I threw away was a 4-2 lead for Russia over Germany which resulted in a 4-4 draw. It was 4-2 going into injury time I think.

In FM08 I was in a title decider for Kedah. I can't remember who it was against. :rolleyes: It was the Malaysian league. Anyway it was the last day of the season and if we won we were champions, otherwise they were champions. We were 3-0 up at half time but conceded an early 2nd half goal. It was still 3-1 going into the last minute though and we ended up drawing 3-3. :(

Not sure its to do with me being bad, but I once had a 5-0 lead in a match, and in the last 30 minutes or so the other team came back to 5-5 then pipped it in the 95th minute with a 6th goal. Think I was so furious I had one of those raging AI cheat posts somewhere even though I knew it didn't it still felt like it lol.

A few months ago or a bit more, in that situation i would have quit and replayed the match. That would have thrown me to suicide.

I'd like to announce that I've learnt to channel my anger now and deal with losses, be them narrow or heavy.

My mate told me yesterday he was 4 nil up at half time and he managed to loose. says after they scored 2 early in second half he went defensive but that just made it worse. ( He was West ham playing against Bolton).

Anyone an even worse manager than my mate??

I threw away a 5-1 over West Ham at half time when i was managing Everton, i went in overjoyed, being the last day of the season, this result would move me level on points with liverpool, in 4th place, a Champions league spot, liverpool would go down to 5th as I would have a greater GD. So i tell my lads not to get complacent, and send them out on their way.

West Ham score straight away and by the 85th minute, they had clawed three goals back!

Three minutes of injury time and in the last minute i concede a penalty!

Luckily my GK saved it to save our team a point.

My players got a roasting as i shared my anger individually.

Instead of three points i should have come away with, i walk back to my desk with my team in 5th place, its a great feeling when you have a grasp on a Champions league spot, only to have it torn away from you in 45 minutes.

While my case may not be a big result thrown but it sure was a very important one.

After winning the CL with Inter, i went into the Club World Cup, won the semi final against a mexican side 4-0, then in the final i met Gremio of Brazil, was winning 3-0 and i took off my key players to rest them for my next matches, back to match they go, 3 shots on target out of 3 shots total the whole game, and they hit me 3-3, extra time they do it 4-3 and win. At the end of the match they had only 5 shots total in match stats, 4 of them on target, and all of them scored!

I almost cried, but have moved on since.

Funny result I remember in FM 06. My brother was in the playoff semi-final, went to Blackburn and won 3-0. Then blackburn came to his place in the next leg and ripped him to pieces 4-1. Funniest result I've ever seen.

Thankyou SI for giving me bragging rights over my brother.

Up 5-1 on aggregrate at halftime of 2nd game in one of the lower league playoffs. I knew I blew my half time talk when they scored 2 in the first 5 minutes of 2nd half, and the highlights were nearly constant. They added one more late to close to one goal, then the tying goal in the 96th minute to put it to overtime. The overtime was actually highlight free, and looked destined for penalties...until they broke loose on an absurd long ball from keeper in the 118th minute and roofed one. Easily the most frustrating experience I've ever had. I didn't play for a month after.

I've had a few other likes this in league playoffs (not quite so extreme, but not far off), which I'm quite sure are coded to be especially dramatic results. Unfortunately, they are usually dramatic at my expense.

Not a massive loss score wise, but I was playing Man City (i'm Liverpool) in pretty much a title decider at Anfield. Was 2-0 up at half time and coasting, so would of been in pole position for the last few games of season.

Ended up losing 3-2 and the title has pretty much gone! That was one of the best i've thrown away.........gutted!!

On 08 I was against Inter in the champions league with Rushden (1st season i was in there with them so i remember it well) home leg 4-0, thought i had a place in the semi's wrapped up! Away leg and lose 5-0... what are the odds? Was so angry I could have killed....

On 08 I was against Inter in the champions league with Rushden (1st season i was in there with them so i remember it well) home leg 4-0, thought i had a place in the semi's wrapped up! Away leg and lose 5-0... what are the odds? Was so angry I could have killed....

There are RL parallels for this at least, I think it was Milan vs Deportivo in the CL and Milan were 4-0 from the first leg IIRC, then Deportivo killed them 5-0 in the second leg. In a way it's not that unlikely, at 3,4 goals down you can only attack and once the other side lets a couple in if they were set up to defend it can be difficult to start attacking again.

My worst in recent memory was a few seasons ago at home to Derby County. With 5 minutes left it was Scunthorpe United 4-1 Derby County. By the time the final whistle went it was Scunthorpe United 4-5 Derby County :o

Now that's what I call being a talented manager :D

My best the other way was with Hibernian in FM08. AC Milan 4-1 Hibernian first leg of UEFA cup 1st round in the San Siro (we took the lead then got mullered). After going a goal down at Easter Road I almost fell off my seat in astonishment as my team of average age ~22 roared back to win 5-1 (6-5)!

2-0 up at HT with Man Utd at home to Blackburn. Final score 2-2 with Blackburn scoring both goals 4 mins and 7 mins into injury time(only 3 mins of injury time was added by the ref) and this was their only shots of the game.

Blackburn is one of those sides on this game that something weird ALWAYS happens as the next game i played they had 3 sending offs and i had 1. The most recent was a 5-3 win for me after going 5-0 up after 70mins.

Archived