Sink Or Swim?

Sink or Swim?  

130 members have voted

1. 1. Sink or Swim?

• Resign before getting sacked
    • Wait until they sack me
    • I cheat and add a new manager

How many of you have the googlies to stick it out until the inevitable board meeting takes place and you get your marching orders?

I have to admit, i've only ever been fired once on FM :cool: Not because i'm so good, but because I jump ship before I get fired.

I started a new game on '09 with Sunderland recently and I've lost my first 9 league games :confused:

I'm expecting the dreaded vote of confidence soon, but I'll stick it out and see what happens.

That's one thing I haven't received yet - a vote of confidence from my board. They just seem to sack me without any warning. I used to see it quite alot on FM08 (not just to me but other managers).

To be honest I generally do option 2 and then option 3 afterwards! I very rarely play anything remotely approximating to a career game so if I'm only managing one team (in many saves I have multiple managers at different clubs anyway) I will just either quit the game and start a new one or add another manager to the same club afterwards.

It is rare for me to have been sacked with one of my "proper" managers, partly in older versions because I could generally be quite successful, but in more recent versions I've maybe not stayed at a club long enough to get sacked. At Kilmarnock in FM07 I stayed 9 years and then resigned, but I was never in any danger of the sack in those previous 8 years because I was very consistent - I finished 4th first season and then again 2nd season and so that set my level. I never vastly overachieved so that I would have too much to live up to the next season - that can be one of the big problems - if you get promoted to the Premiership, have a brilliant season and finish 6th and then the board expect something similar the next season when, if you'd have finished 17th, they'd still have been happy, but would only have expected you to finish around there again the next year.

I don't jump ships, I can't swim, what if miss jump.

No I either leave because I got sacked or a other team, which in my opinion, is better (higher reputation) offers me a new job, which I might accept.

Isn't that jumping ship? Just that you jump onto another ship rather than into the sea :p

Isn't that jumping ship? Just that you jump onto another ship rather than into the sea :p

Maybe your right, but to me jump ship is leaving the club when thing aren't going well, become unemployed and start looking for a new job.

iirc if you leave your club (Team A) for Team B who offered you a contract, Team B has to pay money to Team A, so that is not jumping ship in my opinion.

I've never been sacked. If I'm doing particularily poorly or 'want a new challenge', I stick it out until the end of the season. I never declare an interest in any other job, out of respect for my current fans and employers (sad I know, but being a Newcastle fan and seeing N'Zogbia tout himself to every team has taught me a valuable lesson about commitment).

I've only ever jumped ship once in a proper game. Something like 15 years into my Whitley Bay save in FM06, having taken them up to win the Premiership in my 12th season we struggled to match that in subsequent seasons (5th for the next two years and ~10th well into the following season). I felt the writing was on the wall for me to soon get sacked, but I would never have walked. Then, in a bizarre series of events, arch rivals Newcastle United thrashed us 4-0, then decided to sack their manager and offered me the job.

In some misguided sense of loyalty I asked to take over at the end of the current season (this was in ~March) because I didn't want to just walk out on Whitley Bay with a few months of a tough season left. 1 week later they sacked me so I took up my post at Toon straight away after all. I couldn't bear to let the team I had built up get taken over by an AI manager though so I created a new manager. The oil tanker couldn't be turned though and he got sacked after 6 months. Cue another manager who also failed to turn the oil tanker and he also got sacked 6 months later. Cue a 4th new manager who found himself in charge of a Whitley Bay team 10 points adrift of safety in the Premiership at Christmas. I (in the guise of that 4th manager) finally managed to turn things around, stayed up and was back up there fighting for 2nd place finishes for the next few seasons. We even won the Champions League one season and challenged again for the EPL title, but never again won it after the first time all those years earlier.

In the meantime, of course, my original manager, with a strong reputation behind him, guided Toon to 5 straight league titles and that is why Whitley Bay never again won the title. They had almost certainly the most talented team in the world, but they played snazzy inconsistent football while Newcastle were a juggernaut fueled by 5 ex-Whitley Bay stars. That was FM06 though...a miles easier version of the game than more recent ones!

Archived