How to edit preset templates

I think this could be useful again, so I'll just copy and paste it.

To edit the preset player instructions templates you need to edit the tactical_template.xml file. This can be located in the default directory C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2007\data\tactics

Then once you see the tactical_template.xml file right click on it and choose to open it with notepad. Then at the top it explains what the values range from and how to change them. then edit them to suit how you want them to be.

It make's it much easier to edit them because making subs is much easier then if your bringing a different sort of player on and want to mix things up. But find it too time consuming to change every single stat. Well by editing this it will be faster and a lot easier.

Any trouble just ask, but its really simple to do

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Smac:

Could you explain this a bit more Cleon? I don't really get the use of templates at all yet.

Errr...a template is a ...hmm...template? icon_razz.gif

Think of this, you have 2 MCs, say...Pirlo & Gattuso ... both with a defensive set of instructions, but the opponents scored one and you now want to have Pirlo(or maybe you subbed him for Kaka) doing a more attacking role with more creativity, etc. Instead of changing all his instructions by hand, you just go to the "Set to" menu and load the "OMG_ATTACKING_MIDFIELDER_OF_PWNAGE" template. Much easier!

Originally posted by Millie:

You know I never noticed them before. icon_smile.gif

Quickie: can you add more templates, or are we limited to the half dozen or so that are already there?

Yes, you can add to the template

Originally posted by Thunder God:

Cleon, this is mint. icon14.gif

Since you can add your own to it I've created specific ones for key players and although it took a little time to set them up it's saved me an age in game time.

Thanks for this!

Thats what I normally do, can take me a good hour to do it before hand. But saves me so much more time than doing it ing ame.

Cleon, since I've been doing this I've been getting much more out of the players. Well, if I've worked out their strengths and weaknesses correctly they should play to their strengths and avoid their weaknesses.

My one question though is can I get each players template automatically assigned to them? If I pick a player for match-day I'd like their settings to automatically go over with them. The reason I'm asking is I tend to play with a rotation policy and therefore I rarely start with the same 11 each game.

I haven't seen an option for this so assume that it cannot be done but I thought I'd ask anyway.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I think this could be useful again, so I'll just copy and paste it.

To edit the preset player instructions templates you need to edit the tactical_template.xml file. This can be located in the default directory C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2007\data\tactics

Then once you see the tactical_template.xml file right click on it and choose to open it with notepad. Then at the top it explains what the values range from and how to change them. then edit them to suit how you want them to be.

It make's it much easier to edit them because making subs is much easier then if your bringing a different sort of player on and want to mix things up. But find it too time consuming to change every single stat. Well by editing this it will be faster and a lot easier.

Any trouble just ask, but its really simple to do

Terrific advice, makes life much easier for in-game tactical changes. Have 1 question:

What value do you assign in fm08 for Goalkeeper mixed distribution as only values for Long Kick, Defender Collect and Quick Throw are given?

Would you use '0' as the default setting?

• 2 weeks later...

i can't get this feature to work

is adding to the template a v7xx or v8xx only feature ?

i know the important bits are inbetween <record> .... </record>

am i ADDING a new section to the template ?

am i CREATING a new xml file with the appropriate headers inplace ?

can i use a template for each player in my team ?

if yes how do I alter --><string id="name" value="Goalkeeper[COMMENT: tactical_templates; Position]"/> to achieve this for say a Goalie called Fred Bloggs ?

You add this to the xml anywhere you like as long as you match up the structure (tabs and 2 returns between each record section of the code) and it is between the <list id="lrls"> at the start and the </list> at the end. I don't what to mess with mine at the minute but you either have to reload the skin or exit then restart FM to get it to show up.

<record>
   <string id="name" value="Striker[COMMENT: tactical_templates; Position]"/>
   <integer id="ment" value = "15"/>
   <integer id="crea" value = "13"/>    
   <integer id="pass" value = "7"/>
   <integer id="clos" value = "0"/>
   <integer id="tack" value = "1"/>    
   <integer id="forw" value = "2"/>
   <integer id="ruwb" value = "2"/>
   <integer id="long" value = "1"/>       
   <integer id="trtb" value = "1"/>    
   <integer id="cros" value = "1"/>        
   <integer id="mark" value = "1"/>            
   <integer id="crof" value = "2"/>
   <integer id="croa" value = "1"/>
   <integer id="tmar" value = "1"/>

<boolean id="free" value="false"/>
   <boolean id="houb" value="false"/>

I couldn't get tabs to work in the post but make sure you follow the structure in that the values below <record> should be tabbed twice.

If you want it to appear as 'Fred Bloggs' in the drop down then put Fred Bloggs between the quotes after value= in the string identifier in the first line of code. So

<string id="name" value="Fred Bloggs"/>

Oh wow, this is brilliant. I've been demanding the feature for the game but it's been here all along.

Yeah many people don't know :)

Although something simpler for FM09 would be nice, wouldn't it?;)

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've used these in previous years, but I've tried to set them up on 09 now and they're failing to work. The preset options on the tactics screen remain the same, they refuse to recognise my new templates.

Mine are these:

(they are in french and cover all the position... GB is GK, L is Libero, D is Defender, AL is Wing Back, MD is Defensive Midfielder, M is Midfielder, MO is Attacking Midfielder, AC is Forward. Then are C for Center, D for Right, and G for Left). Plus, some are specific positions, there are tree: ST (for Stoppeur in French, most in the middle Defender when playing 3 or 5 defenders for example), MDJ (for Meneur de Jeu, means playmaker but in fact it's the "Pirlo" position for example, i dont use playmaker always when i have this position in my team, nor i use this position to be playmaker automatically, so its the position in most center of the Midfield, or even of the field, its the CM the most in the middle) and BT (for Buteur, the most in the middle striker position for 1 striker or 3 strikers frameworks for example).

They are the abstraction of what i think are positions and role, its very subjective.

Finally, i dont use the team instructions powered's players instructions like Mentality et cetera, im a globalist and hate micromanagement, furthermore i like to think players have their role tied to their personnality and attributes, my instructions are just an advice for them to adjust probability to do some things (like forward runs...) et cetera. For me, tell my team to play a defensive game makes more sense than tell my defender to play defensive and my striker to play offensive or whatever, but its just subjective and my way of playing the game.

So,

<record>

<string id="name" value="GB"/>

<integer id="forw" value = "1"/>

<integer id="ruwb" value = "1"/>

<integer id="dist" value = "3"/>

</record>

<record>

<string id="name" value="LC"/>

<boolean id="free" value="true"/>

</record>

<record>

<string id="name" value="DC"/>

</record>

<record>

<string id="name" value="DD DG"/>

<integer id="forw" value = "3"/>

<integer id="cros" value = "3"/>

</record>

<record>

<string id="name" value="ST"/>

</record>

<record>

<string id="name" value="MDC"/>

<integer id="long" value = "3"/>

<integer id="trtb" value = "2"/>

<boolean id="houb" value="true"/>

</record>

<record>

<string id="name" value="ALD ALG"/>

<integer id="long" value = "2"/>

</record>

<record>

<string id="name" value="MC"/>

<integer id="trtb" value = "3"/>

<integer id="cros" value = "2"/>

</record>

<record>

<string id="name" value="MD MG"/>

<integer id="ruwb" value = "3"/>

</record>

<record>

<string id="name" value="MDJ"/>

</record>

<record>

<string id="name" value="MOC"/>

</record>

<record>

<string id="name" value="MOD MOG"/>

</record>

<record>

<string id="name" value="AC"/>

</record>

<record>

<string id="name" value="AD AG"/>

</record>

<record>

<string id="name" value="BT"/>

</record>

I would add some words, i think player instructions are chronologic, forward run is before they receive the ball, so with that you adjust how they move to participate to the game, then when they have the ball, they chose to dribble or not, then how to use the ball: long shot? trough ball? cross? or just neither of these and just simple pass?

Its like that i have define my roles (and what i want of them) for all the positions.

Its not TT&F at all, i know!

Although i admire their work, i think that my way of doing tactical things are effective too.

Now i'm first in Ligue 1 with the Paris Saint-Germain (not very hard, but i play lower leagues often, a month ago i have a game with Pohang, finished first all of the way, but yes with guys like Hwang Jin Sung its very easy to do that...), i will not take screenshot or anything, nor give you my tactics. Team instructions are tied to specific team and specific context (do we challenge for the first place or not, do we want to focus on wingers or not, et cetera) so are my tactics, but i can assure you they are pretty performing for my goals.

The only things that dont change, are these players instructions that i carry from several years and they are a perfect picture of what i think are roles in a team.

(edit: oh last thing i forget, i dont use cross from and cross aim anymore, i decided a while to let players thinks by themselves of where they can cross or not and to who, it depends of the players not of the tactic, context change every minute of a game, when a player can go byline he go byline, when he can not... he dont, players make mistake, but its mre effective to let them make mistake than to tell them to do always the same thing, i prefer to let them make mistake rather than making mistake myself :D.... oh and sorry i'm a noob in english skill !!! time to pass lvl2 i think)

Archived