Overcocking? And processing speeds question...

What is overcocking?

How is it done?

What are the benefits for

a) General computer use?

b) FM?

And finally, let's say you select the recommended amount of leagues and nations. What would you consider acceptable processing times between continues?

Obviously this question will have opinion based answers, but let's say I don't want to hang around for several minutes between continues and would like an instant transition between different screens.

Do some googling for overclocking. I think it's safe to say that if you don't know about it, leave it alone.

I expect it to take a few seconds between continues, up to 30 seconds at busy periods like transfer deadline day.

It generally applies to playing a game beyond the actual power of your computer, normally the graphics card. It can lead to overheating and even damage of the computer.

(and you're missing an "L", which makes the title rather comedic)

Haha overcocking.Do you mean "overclocking"?

It's when you increase the clock speed of your CPU/GPU ( from 2.8 Ghz to 3.4 Ghz for a CPU example).You probably have a pre-built computer(example Dell,HP etc) so you can't really gain much,if anything, from it.

a) you process programs faster

b) you process fixtures faster

I assume you mean overclocking rather than overcocking. :p

From Wikipedia:

Overclocking is the process of running a computer component at a higher clock rate (more clock cycles per second) than it was designed for or was specified by the manufacturer, usually practiced by personal computer enthusiasts seeking an increase in the performance of their computers. Some of them purchase low-end computer components which they then overclock to higher speeds, or overclock high-end components to attain levels of performance beyond the specified values. Others overclock outdated components to keep pace with new system requirements, rather than purchasing new hardware.

I would think 30 seconds is the absolute max I would like to wait.

Overclocking - The performance gains aren't massive. If your current performance is that bad on your current set-up you are better upgrading components or a PC.

Most overclocking is done by enthusiasts for the hell of it. Big overclocks are mostly unstable

Small overclocks would give neglible performance difference for FM. You would see more upgrading your RAM subject to what you currently have , what operating system etc

:D Sure did make the laugh the thread title.

TBH if you have no idea in what your doing don't do it. Overclocking does seem a little pointless, and probably only for Uber techies to squeeze that little extra, this may only show in the system/performance stats, you'll probably not actually see or even notice how this has improved it as it can be, or even feel a little, well artificial.

If your PC is a little dated, upgrade the parts that you need to, only that is if actually need to. Ask some friends advice. I did and you find this is a big help as often it's cheaper buying a PC part like ram, graphics card, or a power supply that sort of thing, sometimes you made need to replace your pc it does depend. On each persons pc's

I know a little about upgrading some pc parts. (Through freinds advice and "seeing" them do it not just guides found on the internet. However I won't tinker with over clocking, as long as you've a half decent dual core processor, enough ram. For the operating system you should be ok, as you don't get giddy with trying to run all leagues available in the game. Then you'll be alright.

Overclocking will be neglable in my opinion, I have seen no real need to overclock as this plays a strain on the hardware I would presume but don't take my word for it as I am no uber techie, with tricking it to perform at its optimum, when having the right pc inards, and running just the right amount of games.

I would only reccomend doing an overclock on your CPU or GPU if you know what you are doing. also you have to be aware of overheating issues so you may need heat sinks or run the stock fan at 100% instead of the naf auto settings they have. You also have to mess around with your jumper settings too. Overclocking your graphics card is considerably easier if you have a high end Nvida card, download a program called EVGA precision, crank up your core clock, shaders and memory clock a bit, turn fan onto 100% and enjoy true overclocking abilities. Not so much worth it for this game, but for graphically demanding games, hell yeah.

As shown. it shows my cards default settings and there is an easy to use slider for each setting. Playing FM you should know all about sliders :p

t_evgashotm_ac3daed.gif

xlabs guide and XtremeTech guide for CPU's

Firingsquad Guide for GPU's

please note

As we already know very well, overclocking is an excellent way to push your system to the limit and/or get free performance. Overclocking can also be extremely dangerous to your hardware if you don’t know what you're doing.
is a common disclaimer to most O/C guides.

Extreme cooling usually uses staged cooling ...

ie Dry-Ice, Florinert, N2

Thermal Shock damage is normally the biggest problem you encounter doing this.

If you really want to get into it, start with a waterpump based cooling based sytem as it's much more reliable than fan-based air-cooling. Enjoy.

i built and then overclocked my pc which was the first time i had ever doen any thing of this nature, i read online what bios setting's was needed to change and what there outcome was going to be including the effect..

i went from 2.4 GHz upto 3.2GHz, even tho i have seen other people with the same model go higher i didn't want to put to much extra stress on my pc as to burn it out..

i find it runs fine. my temperature's are still close to twhat they were before. all i know is it processes Fm fast which is what i wanted..

If you really want to get into it, start with a waterpump based cooling based sytem as it's much more reliable than fan-based air-cooling. Enjoy.

You'd think, but I've read a lot of reports on this over the past year or so backtracking and showing that water based cooling is generally less effective than properly implemented fan cooling. They're also much noisier, bulkier and more expensive for what they do :p

I pullled up to a house about 7 or 8

WB Gills.

Overclockings sounds very risky and complex to me. I hope people realise this really shouldnt be attempted unless they are clued up on PC's.

well im a novice mate, reading a thew articles and watching people do it on youtube, working out what each change does etc, i found it really easy to keep with in safe setting's. i guess we will find out of my CPu fries and stops working lol

"Please Insert Dick" I think. Anyway ontopic I'm not sure, for the purposes of FM overclocking is neccesary, not to very high levels anyway - you should be able to safely notch up a couple hundred MHz safely but the waste heat produced is proportional, so if your computer at normal clockrate is running at 80 degrees c it's probably not a good idea to go higher until you have that a bit lower (overclock a 2ghz processor running at 80 to 4ghz it'll go up to around 160/170). My CPU usually runs at about 86 without overclocking and has a target temp of 60 - so it'd be a terrible idea for me to overclock. You should be able to find that data in the bios menu from bootup so you can tell if it's an option with your current cooling. But I suggest getting a better fan cooling system to water, water just isn't worth it and it's very noisy. my opinion.

Yes I only added all that so the please insert dick was relevant to the conversation. maybe someone will find it useful.

Overclocking in it's purest form is about squeezing more performance out of your dying/aging component.

It's about taking a old/cheap CPU and make it work at a level that is the same or better then the best "stock" CPU out there.

Downside of overclocking is price and that running it on higher frequency produces more heat and that will damage your CPU.

But if you add a better cooling system you can overclock with no problem. And if you overclock and it runs cooler with the new cooling system you have actually added time to the lifespan of your CPU.

Overclocking is a hobby for some people and they go to the extreme and use Dry-Ice, Florinert, N2 to cool down the CPU.

For us mear mortals there is heatsink cooling + fan and water cooling.

Heatsink cooling + fans compared to watercooling:

+ safer (water cooling systems can leek and short circuit your system, though you can buy liquid that will not do that)

+ less expencive (good watercooling systems are expencive compared to heatsinks. cost/gain in temp is in Heatsinks favour)

+ fits inside computer case (smaller water cooling systems fit inside cases now and all in all have come down in size)

- noise (fan based systems are noisier then watercooling systems.)

- not as good at cooling (fan based systems have made ground on watercoling but there not there yet)

With most companys adding software to their motherboards for the purpose of overclocking from your desktop it really isn't that hard anymore. You tend to get better stability if you set everything up your self through the bios because you have more control from here as the software programs usually only work through sliders. :)

Sure some knowledge is needed, but you got to start from somewhere. Plenty of informative guides out there.

Overcocking sounds fun.

Overclocking however is hardly worth it. The performance gain is marginal in most cases and can seriously sacrifice system stability. Not to mention the risk of frying something. Unless you actually know what you're doing and the results are really worth it i.e you get a noticeable boost in system performance then I wouldn't bother.

Archived