It was fun to begin with...

After about 6 days of gameplay i've finally managed to get Chelmsford City into the Premiership. It's been a long hard journey (I've signed 109 players for a total value of £22k), but now i'm in there i'm not having as much fun as i thought i would have.

I was expecting it to be tough, but now every premiership team seems to have at least 8-9 absolute world-class regens. When i say world-class - i mean *WORLD-CLASS*. These guys have 18, 19, 20 for almost every stat. It's like every team, including the Sunderlands and even Readings consist of at least a Buffon equivalent in goal, a defence of Fazios, a midfield of Messis, and a Strike-force of Adebayors. Even the better Championship teams are ridiculously over-powered.

I know this has been a problem in the past, but i find it hard to believe SI haven't picked up on it. As a small team coming up from the Championship (i've only just got planning permission to expand my 3000 seater to 12500 lol), with less than nothing to spend on players, it's disheartening to not even get close to any teams when i have built a squad that would easily have held it's own in the premiership at the start of the game. The number of times a generic Englishman called Dave Bishop or Rob Taylor have had me with my head in my hands is beyond a joke.

Long term games are certainly struggling with a few issues, I believe wonder-regens have been logged as an issue, but I don't remain convinced that "career" games are going to be fixed very quickly.

Also are you patched up to 9.2, I think some of the regen issues were fixed as part of it, if so maybe you patched after the wonder regens were generated.

Can't say I have this, haven't been so far in the game yet, but I did read here that the regen quality is improved (maybe a bit to much) a lot since FM08.

for the names, yeah I can imagine it is annoying, but it would not ruin the game for me (they have to give the persona name anyway).

After about 6 days of gameplay i've finally managed to get Chelmsford City into the Premiership. It's been a long hard journey (I've signed 109 players for a total value of £22k), but now i'm in there i'm not having as much fun as i thought i would have.

I was expecting it to be tough, but now every premiership team seems to have at least 8-9 absolute world-class regens. When i say world-class - i mean *WORLD-CLASS*. These guys have 18, 19, 20 for almost every stat. It's like every team, including the Sunderlands and even Readings consist of at least a Buffon equivalent in goal, a defence of Fazios, a midfield of Messis, and a Strike-force of Adebayors. Even the better Championship teams are ridiculously over-powered.

I know this has been a problem in the past, but i find it hard to believe SI haven't picked up on it. As a small team coming up from the Championship (i've only just got planning permission to expand my 3000 seater to 12500 lol), with less than nothing to spend on players, it's disheartening to not even get close to any teams when i have built a squad that would easily have held it's own in the premiership at the start of the game. The number of times a generic Englishman called Dave Bishop or Rob Taylor have had me with my head in my hands is beyond a joke.

how many seasons into the game are you

and of course the premiership teams have got great regens the're in the premiership you're chelmsford do you really expect to get world-class youth players

Does this mean the game has now got more realistic? 6 days of gameplay, how many seasons. I've been playing a game since the 9.2 patch came out and I'm still only in Jan 2011. I take my time regarding matches and analysis of opposition. Different people play the game differently I guess

In terms of regens I believe this has been reviewed by SI. If you have a saved game could I recommend you raise this on the bug thread and upload a saved game. This will give SI a better chance of reviewing the potential issue

Well done on getting Chelmsford to the Premiership. I did this years ago with Farnborough but also found the stadium size limited any generation of income and thus player purchases

During FM08 I was one of the people who put forward the idea that some wonderkid players should come through, as back then no regens under the age of 23 were good enough to play in a top class team.

At first I thought FM09 had it much better, but now it seems they've gone too far the other way and far too many wonderkids are being produced, which is a shame.

how many seasons into the game are you

and of course the premiership teams have got great regens the're in the premiership you're chelmsford do you really expect to get world-class youth players

I'm in my tenth season. Yeah i'd expect them to be great (Man Utd having the odd David Beckham/Paul Scholes character etc), but even teams like Wigan have a full squad of players that make Maradona look like Bas Savage. Like I say after putting so much time into the game it's hardly rewarding me lol.

P.S. I'm running 9.2.0.

Does this mean the game has now got more realistic? 6 days of gameplay, how many seasons. I've been playing a game since the 9.2 patch came out and I'm still only in Jan 2011. I take my time regarding matches and analysis of opposition. Different people play the game differently I guess

In terms of regens I believe this has been reviewed by SI. If you have a saved game could I recommend you raise this on the bug thread and upload a saved game. This will give SI a better chance of reviewing the potential issue

Well done on getting Chelmsford to the Premiership. I did this years ago with Farnborough but also found the stadium size limited any generation of income and thus player purchases

I played it by signing old, old pros pretty much throughout, finding a decent tactic, and hammering through games on only commentary without even looking at the team i was playing. i'm at uni atm and was ill a couple of weeks back so pretty much played it non-stop whenever i had the chance.

now i'm in the premiership though, i have a good few what i would previously have considered premiership players (probably about the same level as a team like villa are at the start, maybe a little younger overall). it's a shame they play against XI's hand picked by Zeus week in week out.

One further thought. Do you have a youth academy. If the premierships sides you refer to have a better youth set-up than your side then this maybe a reason why they develop better young players

I think my youth academy is a few local deprived kids meeting up at the park for a kick about lol. My point is though, even i was producing unbelievable regens, it isn't consistent with the start of the game. I can't accept that in 2015 some scientific breakthrough means that genetically modified footballers become common place.

greg.jpg

Here is the great and beautiful Greg Neilson, plying his trade at the mighty Fulham. There are SO MANY of these guys lurking in every premiership team.

I thought i'd also share with you Majid Al-Mualid for a laugh. Clearly the conflict in the middle-east didn't bother him. He just knuckled down with his football.

majid.jpg

Not bothered by players like this playing for Real Madrid, after all he's not that much better than some of the players that start there in 2008. it's just the way teams like Fulham, or any other team that might have taken their place in the pecking order, have all become invincible. I doubt the prem will have quadrupled in quality by 2017. Will we see every child in our schools hitting the crossbar from the half-way line every time during lunch break? I doubt it.

They seem like well developed regens to me, and sorry mate but you cant expect other clubs to come to a standstill on development while you play league catch up. IRL in about 10 years we could see a team like fulham/portsmouth/middlesborough turning out quality players and challenging for the title year in, year out. We might even see one of the big four battling relegation! Good look Arsenal!

I found this in FM08 too however the regens in there were crap, as i was Fiorentina and with the bset youth system in the land I was producing players worse than my back up players.

Hcavent got this far in 09, however im playing leeds so will see how this affects the game

I think that maybe the regen balance has shifted a little too far for outfield players, but I doubt that every Premier League team has a regen keeper that is anywhere as good as Buffon. I haven't seen a regen keeper be anything better then the equivalent of a mid table Premier League keeper in any of my FM09 games. The top sides are making do with rubbish keepers while I am still using ancient keepers who are available at the start of the game.

Show us two eamples doesn't really prove anything. Show us the entire Fulham team and then show Fulham's finishing places in the last few seasons. By 2017 Fulham could be the dominant force in English football on your game. Plus we can't see any of those players hidden stats, so they could be incredibly inconsistant, injury prone or dread big matches.

Also how many leagues are you running? If you are only running the English Leagues then of course all the best players in the world are at those teams. I wouldn't even be surprised if you were running more leagues as very few clubs outside of England will be able to compete with the spending power the Premier League TV rights give you, after a seaon in the EPL you will be awash with money and able to buy any regen willing to come to the club.

Archived