The rididuclous impact of adaptability..

It's been happening all throughout my game in Serie A, foreigners in their first season are playing with one leg. They are out of their mind bad. Has happened so far with Diego, Aguero, Robinho, Bendtner... everyone.

They have all gone from ABYSMAL, Triple Worst signing in Serie A, to Hero status. Leading goalscorer/top rated club player in their second.

I've just put Robinho in Aguero's position for a Cup game, they are the same player- same attributes. Aguero in second season, has scored in every game.. is top of the league by 5 or 6 goals.... Robinho just polled two games in the 5's there. PLaying counter attacking football, to his strengths...

it's just the constant repetition of the fact that: world class players are brought in to tactics that are retrospectively proved perfect for them (they score a billion goals/play well after they're adapted), who literally cannot get out of the 5's in 6/10 games or more...

CaptPlanet is right on in my view. I always pay attention to the players personality type. I want to fill my squad with: "professional, determined, resolute," or better yet "born leader, model professional, or iron willed." I tend to stay away from "light hearted, very ambitious, spirited" and even "balanced."

This is less important for young players as they can be tutored and develop more ideal personalities.

Team cohession and personality make such a difference in FM, as IRL.

It's been happening all throughout my game in Serie A, foreigners in their first season are playing with one leg. They are out of their mind bad. Has happened so far with Diego, Aguero, Robinho, Bendtner... everyone.

They have all gone from ABYSMAL, Triple Worst signing in Serie A, to Hero status. Leading goalscorer/top rated club player in their second.

I've just put Robinho in Aguero's position for a Cup game, they are the same player- same attributes. Aguero in second season, has scored in every game.. is top of the league by 5 or 6 goals.... Robinho just polled two games in the 5's there. PLaying counter attacking football, to his strengths...

Yup. I usually write off the first season _entirely_. I have since given up signing non domestic players and focussed on bringing on a team of Italians. It is utterly ridiculous ..

edit: Just to clarify, I do agree that some players should flop. But likewise, others should excel. This doesn't really happen. It is also far less pronounced in the EPL than in Serie A for some reason. Also you would assume that slower more technical players would do better in Serie A than the EPL due to the amount of time on the ball they get and the slower pace of the matches, which is perplexingly totally absent from the ME as far as I can tell. But hey - long shots and free kicks (that go in) are more or less totally absent from the ME, so that level of sophistication seems like fantasy. I'm sure in older versions each league had its own set of characteristics and tactics that worked well in one league such as direct, high pressing, high closing down, hard tackling etc. would need to be adapted to others e.g. Championship vs La Ligue or Serie A vs EPL.

Yup. I usually write off the first season _entirely_. I have since given up signing non domestic players and focussed on bringing on a team of Italians. It is utterly ridiculous ..

edit: Just to clarify, I do agree that some players should flop. But likewise, others should excel. This doesn't really happen.

Exactly- I have given up on foreign players too, and am just on italians or italian speakers.

It's not about the first "few games", it is about the first season entirely. If a player hasn't adapted after a season he probably never will in my view..

I'm 100% certain this is in an issue in Italy- it's happened too clearly...

CaptPlanet is right on in my view. I always pay attention to the players personality type. I want to fill my squad with: "professional, determined, resolute," or better yet "born leader, model professional, or iron willed." I tend to stay away from "light hearted, very ambitious, spirited" and even "balanced."

This is less important for young players as they can be tutored and develop more ideal personalities.

Team cohession and personality make such a difference in FM, as IRL.

Did this sound very sinister to anybody else?

Had that a lot with players in lower leagues - I'll bring someone in from Ireland or Wales or Estonia (trust me, easy talent there for llm, it's not as ridiculous as it sounds) and they just can't perform in the first season - their averages are at most 6, usually much lower. I do see glimpses of what they can do but... meh it's not a gamebreaker for me anyway but I find it annoying too.

Archived