Pre-Season

Why are there so many injuries pre-season?!

I've played 3 games, Keane's been injured in the 1st and 3rd, out for a couple of weeks, N'Gog in the 1st game and out for two months, Kuyt in the 1st and 3rd games, out for a month second time, and Dossena in the 2nd game and out for two months. I've had similar problems on another career too.

It's ridiculous. Surely in pre-season tackling should be set near enough to 'easy'? Especially for the first few games of the new campaign, where players are only just returning from breaks. I've also noticed the opposition closing down very heavily and their game at a high tempo. Surely these things should be tailored to how sides approach actual pre-season where fitness is key rather than competitiveness?

Or is this a known bug? Because i seem to get less injuries during competitive games.

Are you all patched up? If you are, have you started a new save or just carried on with one that existed prior to the update?

I find the best thing to do is ease players into pre-season and make sure you sub them off as soon as their condition pecentage looks a little low. Gradually build players up from 45 minutes to 60 minutes to 75 and then to 90 over the course of several games.

Also, if you have a tough pre-season trainin regime, it might be worth taking it down a notch or two. Over training is a sure fire way to get excessive injuries.

I've played 3 games, Keane's been injured in the 1st and 3rd, out for a couple of weeks, N'Gog in the 1st game and out for two months, Kuyt in the 1st and 3rd games, out for a month second time, and Dossena in the 2nd game and out for two months. I've had similar problems on another career too.

It's ridiculous. Surely in pre-season tackling should be set near enough to 'easy'? Especially for the first few games of the new campaign, where players are only just returning from breaks. I've also noticed the opposition closing down very heavily and their game at a high tempo. Surely these things should be tailored to how sides approach actual pre-season where fitness is key rather than competitiveness?

Or is this a known bug? Because i seem to get less injuries during competitive games.

Are you patched up to 9.2?

Don't forget that in real life managers don't put out a full first team squad for the majority of pre-season games, they easy them in gentley with a mixture of backup players.

Or yo might just be unlucky, personally I've never had any serious injuries in pre-season.

It does seem like you have been unlucky here. However i think the injuries pre-season are realistic. If you think about it, all the players have been sunning themselves for weeks on some carribean island and when they come back they are going to pick up little niggles. Your injuries are for long periods so i would agree that these are not just niggles.

You may want to look at you training to see if its too intensive? i know they are happening in the games themselves but your training may be a factor.

I have patch 9.2.0 yes. I bought the game after it came out so it was the first thing i did.

I've started a go with Kaiserslautern - my first pre-season friendly has seen 3 injuries. None are major/long-term luckily.

In reply to CaptainPlanet - i do this too. I start with fringe/reserve players giving them time, taking them off at half-time, and work my way up to senior players so those players will be match fit come the start of the season. I only go beyond 45 minutes when it's a game or two before the season and players should be working up to the level of playing a proper full 90 minute match. I don't think this is the problem for me because many of the injuries i've experienced have been in the first-half... for example, in the first game with Liverpool as i mentioned in my opening post, Kuyt was injured after 20 minutes and so was replaced by Keane, who was injured on 21 minutes. N'Gog was then injured before the half was out.

From my experience as a Liverpool supporter i don't seem to remember too many injuries in real-life pre-season, owing to the fact that the games are played at such a slow pace and uncomitted manner. To the person who mentioned West Ham/Newcastle, well they tend to have half their players out during the season anyway. ;) I imagine it's something to do with their own training. I will try and play around with my training settings in fact.

At least i'm not getting as many injuries during the season, that is something.

From my experience as a Liverpool supporter i don't seem to remember too many injuries in real-life pre-season, owing to the fact that the games are played at such a slow pace and uncomitted manner

Do the pre-season tactics you use reflect that though? Or are you telling them to go out and win the game then use your normal tactic?

That's a good point. I generally leave the team talks up to the assistant manager for pre-season, and he often tells the players "you can win this", which would logically have them thinking about winning and being more competitive.

In terms of how they set up i usually have them tackling 'Easy'. The rest of my tactic is often standard in terms of what i would use in a competitive season, because normally i like to use pre-season as an opportunity to get my tactics in place for the new season, tweaking/honing them and such. I'm not a big fan of experimenting in games that matter.

Archived