Are team talks actually that important

I am West Ham the team have a determined personality

I use 'expect a win' at home against the bottom table temas

I use 'you can win this' away to bottom table teams and at home against anyone but big 4

I never use 'wish good luck'

I use 'pressure is off' against the big 4

At half time i never ever say pleased, its always 'you can win this' or 'dont get complacent' or 'expect nothing less than a win' depending on score

I tend to win all my home games even against big temas (would like to boast i beat Arsenal 4-2, please ignore the fact iv got 3/15 points in my head to heads) I have one of the worst away records in the league 4/30 points, but the second best at home 28/33 at home.

now on all of those i get results, but on the forums there is a lot of complaining and comments about how important it is, is it really that important? Does anyone else support me on this or is that actually proof that team talks massively effect the games.

I find saying pleased at half time to a couple of indvidual players works well at motivating them. Some times, but not often.

Team talks do play a pivotal role because if you get them right its the difference between a player receiving an 8 average rating or a 6.7.

Team talks are important because they have a major impact on the game, but they aren't diverse or unpredictable, which they should be.

Every match follows the same trend;

For the fans

Encourage - If winning by 1

Pleased - If winning by 2

Angry - If losing

I used that same routine in every match of my 08 career save. Whatever is said at the end of the match rarely means anything.

Team talks are important because they have a major impact on the game, but they aren't diverse or unpredictable, which they should be.

Every match follows the same trend;

For the fans

Encourage - If winning by 1

Pleased - If winning by 2

Angry - If losing

I used that same routine in every match of my 08 career save. Whatever is said at the end of the match rarely means anything.

Or at the begining TBH, i never use the before match team talk, just leave it as none. I agree though that half time team are very important and can define your results.

I dont really get the OP's question? Is he saying that he doesnt get results away from home? Im sure that will be more of a tactical issue rather than a team talk related one, especially as his home form is so impressive using the team talk model he is currently.

I never say im pleased at my whole team if there winning at half because they just seem to take it easy in the second half and ending losing there lead and drawing or losing... instead i just say im pleased with a couple of individuals who are playing the best and that seems to just motivate them to play even better... for the rest of the team i always say "encourage" or "we can win this", i feel it stops them from slacking, so to be honest yeah, team talks are important =]

I have found 'Wish good luck' is effective when my team are underdogs (a normal state of affairs because I play in the lower Italian league(C2) and my players seem to OD on chianti and lasagne just before the match...... :mad:)

Generally use 'You can win this' when the match is likely to be close and 'I expect a win' on the very rare occasions when my useless bunch are favourites.

At half time, I 'encourage' when we're a goal or so up, generally am 'pleased' when three or more up (hardly ever!!), 'expect more' or am 'disappointed' when we're down. 'We can win this' when we're level.

Singling out individual players ('pleased' or 'disappointed') can help sometimes. If they are bad enough to merit an 'angry' I generally sub them anyway.

Post match comments are fairly obvious.

I think these talks have too much influence realistically.

In past versions of FM the following works for me:

- 'Expect a win' for teams struggling (meaning either bottom of table, poor run of form or lower league cup game). Both home and away.

- 'You can win' for teams stronger or equal than me. Both home and away.

- 'For the fans' when at home against a rival. Doesn't seem to work away.

I believe in positivity, and that anyone can beat anyone. Half the battle is won in the mind. :)

However, I use 'wish good luck' if I'm a very weak team and I'm up against, say, Barcelona. Depends on the context of the match as well though.

At half time:

- 'Encourage' if we're a goal down

- 'We can win this' when level

- 'For the fans' when level or one goal down at home against a rival

- 'Don't get complacent' when one goal up. Because whenever I used 'pleased' when one goal in front the team always go on to lose the lead. :mad:

- 'Pleased' when two goals in front

- 'Delighted' when three or more goals in front.

- 'Disappointed' when two goals down.

- 'Want to see more from you' when more than two goals down

- 'Angry' when faced with a trashing at half time (4 or more goals. Rarely happens though)

- 'Where's the passion?' when losing badly against a rival

They usually have some effect. :o

i almost always use "do it for the fans" It seems to work pretty well tbh.

at half time if encourage is on there no matter what i use it.

If im loosing to a decent team i use "you can win this"

if im loosing to a rubbish team i use "where the passion lads"

Sometimes if im unsure i like to ask the assistant and see what he recomends.

I think it definately makes a differance especially in the big games, i have loosing in big games before and been getting hammered and i use a good team talk and turn it around and get a good result.

i love it when one of the players says that the half time team talk changed the game.

They are stupidly important - in a way that only one who had never experienced a pregame or halftime talk could design it to be. The effect when you get a team talk wrong is shocking. Heavy favorites and way more talented? That goes out the door if you happen to say "You can win!" instead of "I expect a win!". Say you're pleased at halftime after a great first half showing? How dare you! Take this absurd loss and learn your lesson.

They really make the difference in tight games is what i find. They also give players confidence when playing better oposition or when the team are on a bad run of form. They can also stop your players getting complacent by saying ''Expect a Performance'' if they are on a good run of form, and for me, the players in question usually deliver. So, yes. I find that they make a huge difference to how well your team plays

The team talks are too influential within the match engine, they can really sway results greatly, however, since they are like this then it makes sense to use them as much as possible, especially if you're a smaller team, because I think you can get away with not using them in as much detail with a top team.

For example, I just played my first season in the EPL with Bristol City. We were predicted to finish 20th, so we were obviously going to be underdogs for most if not all matches. I found my self using the "You can win this" about a third of the time, "Wish luck" another third, and "The pressure is off" for the last third. My team's personality was very determined, but like I said, we were big underdogs most of the time. I'm happy to say we achieved 11th place at the end of the season. That's also considering that my squad was extremely un-gelled and some players were still of Championship standard. Overall, I think the team talks really helped. Sometimes I would see my strikers squandering chance after chance in the first half, most likely because of pressure since we are underdogs, so at half time I just tell them (the strikers) "the pressure is off", and guess what, in the second half, one of them scores twice and the other once and we come back from being down 0-1 to win the match. However, the weird thing is that when I went to see the team talks feeback, one of the strikers was angry and confused that I told him the pressure is off, yet he still scored a goal, very strange.

I think you really have to use team talks in conjunction with not only your team's personality, but with your team's reputation and where you stand in comparison to other teams in your league. So if you're going to be an obvious underdog, then it would be better to use talks that put less pressure on your players.

I also once used the "Why can't you play like this every match?" after game talk when I recorded a big win against a top 6 team. The response was good as we won our following 4 matches too, while before we were struggling to win even 2 in a row.

Archived