CM-FM a mindless nostalgic twaddle post.

FM 2009 best ever but not as enjoyable as I used to find cm's fm's. Its true. And I think I know why now.

It must be 16 years or so now since a mate of my brothers at college passed him a little floppy disk with Championship man Italia scrawled in biro on it. Loading it up on my Amiga 600 my brother chose AC Milan as his team. I took Juventus. Looking at his team with envy I see Maldini, Baresi, Desailly. It gets worse up front he has Van Basten, Savicevic.

I look at my team. Not to shabby either Baggio, Vialli, Ferrara, Ravanelli. We ring our mate up come down play on it with us. He picks Parma. Asprilla, Zola, Brolin. Cannavaro is still at Napoli. Vieri at Venezia. Look at the list of foreign players. My bro instantly buys Bebeto, I take Hagi. Fillipo Inzaghi was a free agent if I remember rightly, so was Montella. Other players or the era the De Boer bros, Gullit, Lombardo, Mancini, Bergkamp, Signori, Fonseca, Balbo, Dos Santos Aldair, Stoichkov and Romario who you could only buy in the 4th season on it.

And that was it every time a new champo came out we would ring our mate to come down to play on it with us. It was always so much better winning a match against someone sat next to you or clinching the league, mocking them in there face.

This carried on for every champo, FM to this day im now now 27 :eek: Thats a lot of my life gone to those pesky collyer brothers!

But what went wrong why did I enjoy those ones of the 90's and 1st half of this decade much more than the FM's of today. Everything is better about the games of today. I know people voice negative opinions on the forums with each new game. But thats the nature of forums, the disgruntled get seen or noticed more that the majority of happy players.

And I think the answer is the player themselves. 3 or 4 years before the release of championship was Italia 90. The 1st world cup I can remember properly and watched in awe the likes of Baggio, Di Napoli, Giannini, Schilacchi, Voller, klinsman, Lineker, Platt, Gazza Roger Miller, Maradona, Oman Bayik. Most of which were present in the in cham man itlalia.

Then came Euro 92 the Dutch playing better than Italia 90. Bergkamp, Rijkaard, Koeman Van Breuklen in goal. France had Papin the Danes had the Laudrups and the mighty John Jensen. Unforunately England would have Graham Taylor bringing on Alan Smith for Lineker. 1 goal from Platt in a 2-1 defeat to Sweden was our only goal and we finished bottom of the group. Oh well there is always USA 94:rolleyes:

Ok you get the picture im beginning to get overwhelmed with nostalgia. Future champos would see Figo, Ronaldo, Zidane, Nedved, Kluivert, Djorkaeff, Suker, Mijatovic, Cafu, Roberto Carlos, Lizarazu, Raul, Luis Enrique, Bierhoff, Scholes, Beckham, Laurent Blanc, Rivaldo etc etc etc.

And here we are in 2009. All gone or about to. Zidane gone. Ronaldo a 32 yr old cripple. Figos last season. Beckham seen his career out in LA or about to join some OAP home in Milan.

Maybe its age. But I dont get the same kick out of signing players these days on FM's or having them in my team as I used to. I used to worship some of the players above. Now I find myself hating the majority of present day professionals. With the exception of Messi and Kaka I dont think I get that same kick out of signing anyone on FM anymore that I would have done say when I got Zidane, or back in the day, Romario.

Am I reaching a mid life crisis, am I goin mad or does anyone feel the same way. Has my golden era of football enjoyment gone is that it now for. Rose tinted glasses, and mindless nostalgic posts like this the only thing left?

In 3 years time I think its 20 years since the 1st release of the Championship Manager (i think). I was thinking (dreaming of) a special edition of FM to celebrate. One that starts off in 92 to 2012. Back to the old school. Rather than regens of fictional players Owen comes through to the youth team at Liverpool. Rooney pops up at Everton. The Beckhams, Scholes, Butts etc appear on the scene along with the Nevilles.

In Brazil a promising bucked tooth striker appears. Is this even possible to do, would we have enough information and research to pull it off ? We have the old games to go off as a start point. Also it would be 2 or 3 years in the making. Could it be done. My friend says it wouldnt work you would just sing all the best youngster all the time. What if they were set like Romario and Stoichkov back on Champ man Italia that they couldnt be signed for a year or 2 maybe more.

I think it could be done if they missed out FM11 or something to work solidly on the work that they could start on it partially now. Imagine if we had this FM thats more polished and complete which it will be in anotehr 1 or 2 FM's. But with this idea 20 years of CM/FM. Tell me it can be done SI !!!!! Tell me I can relive 90's without loading up a inferior CM with 1 tactic to win all with all.

Im off for a coffee and rant at the TV screen with Sky Sports news on now.

FM 2009 best ever but not as enjoyable as I used to find cm's fm's. Its true. And I think I know why now.

It must be 16 years or so now since a mate of my brothers at college passed him a little floppy disk with Championship man Italia scrawled in biro on it. Loading it up on my Amiga 600 my brother chose AC Milan as his team. I took Juventus. Looking at his team with envy I see Maldini, Baresi, Desailly. It gets worse up front he has Van Basten, Savicevic. .

Dessailly wasnt at Milan in 93, he wasnt int he same team as Van Basten anyway IRC. If it was the 93/94 italia he defiantely wasnt at Milan anyway. Sorry to be petty, but I only remember because this was my favourite CM of all time.

Great post though, stirred up a lot of nostalgia for me :)

hmmm Maybe getting my years mixed up a little. Im sure he was in the same Milan team on CM as Van Basten because in the 1st season FM Italia Van Basten had his injurey the one that ended his career. Sometimes I think he retired at the end of the 1st season on it. Maybe thats why they didnt play in same team in real life. Cant remember now. Wasnt Desailly a midfielder on it as well ? Remember Panucci was awesome on that game for Milan. And Marco Simone never missed a penalty !

I'm getting on now but Torres just has the factor which makes me go 'oooo he's a bit good'. Not had that feeling about a player for a long time. Probably since I was in school and first saw King Kenny play. Still haven't loaded up a Liverpool game yet. Just getting things right at the lower leagues first and then I shall have some fun :D

Quality post, i couldnt agree more that FM has definatly lost something since 'legendary' players like that are no longer in the game:( Even a couple of years ago you could still enjoy yourself by managing the likes of zidane, raul, ronaldo, viera, henry, berkamp, figo, del piero, edgar davids, van nistelrooy and so on. I realsie most of these players are still playing but theyre not what they were at all. Just thinking about how good it used to be makes me want to go and play CM 01/02:)

hmmm Maybe getting my years mixed up a little. Im sure he was in the same Milan team on CM as Van Basten because in the 1st season FM Italia Van Basten had his injurey the one that ended his career. Sometimes I think he retired at the end of the 1st season on it. Maybe thats why they didnt play in same team in real life. Cant remember now. Wasnt Desailly a midfielder on it as well ? Remember Panucci was awesome on that game for Milan. And Marco Simone never missed a penalty !

Yea Dessailly was a defensive midfielder at the time, but I dont even think he was available on the "foreign transfer list". I remember him being one of my favourite players IRL but not being able to buy him on Italia 93 on. I dont think Zidane was available either, as he was still at Auxerre. All the foreign teams had player 1-11 as their names and you could only buy specific players from the foreign player list.

Milan were great in that release, even Florin Radiciou was amazing, able to play anywhere in midfield or attack, either side - pity he wasnt as good as in the game when he went to west ham IRL! lol

Marco Simone was amazing, as was Van Basten and Papin. I still uesd to always buy Roberto Baggio though and usually Cantona too. Great days! lol

Mindless nostalgic twaddle is great! I started on CM '93. I would add myself into the game as 4 managers, at Man U, Arsenal, etc, then transfer all the best players to my club. :D

Had a pretty good team. Keane, Wright, Cantona, etc.

Still didn't win anything. :(

• 2 years later...

Enjoyed this opening post. :thup:

Sorry to bump up an old thread but I just came across this on the search and felt that I agreed with the 'mindless nostalgic twaddle' so much that I wanted to post a reply! :D

I miss so many of those legendary players mentioned in the OP, especially Baggio, who was my huge favourite back in the early 90s. Found myself nodding in agreement with the line 'I used to worship some of the players above. Now I find myself hating the majority of present day professionals'. Strange. What has happened to football? :(

Funnily enough I remember playing a 'legends' database which essentially implemented the exact idea of the op's post with players from 99-00. I'm pretty sure it was on FM09 as well. I had a teenage Kaka and C. ronaldo at Celtic on that save but never got to see how they developed as I got too distracted with my main AC Milan save.

Archived