Can you still play old versions with great fun?

I installed fm 2006 today, because I used to love that game and now playing it a bit it is still nice it seems. I like 08 as well, that has nothing to do with it. 06 is a bit quiker to go through, because it is less sophisticated. Easier to pick up and play.

However, we are a few years further now and 07 and 08 have progressed on 06. I suppose if you get involved in a career in an older version you liked you still can have fun even though there are newer versions out.

I wonder who of you still, at this point, plays an old version of the game? Do you play that career beside your 08 career or do you only play the old version career? Just curious about your experiences.

I installed fm 2006 today, because I used to love that game and now playing it a bit it is still nice it seems. I like 08 as well, that has nothing to do with it. 06 is a bit quiker to go through, because it is less sophisticated. Easier to pick up and play.

However, we are a few years further now and 07 and 08 have progressed on 06. I suppose if you get involved in a career in an older version you liked you still can have fun even though there are newer versions out.

I wonder who of you still, at this point, plays an old version of the game? Do you play that career beside your 08 career or do you only play the old version career? Just curious about your experiences.

Personally, no. Old players, old ways of thinking and playing, less options - it just doesn't do it for me. I don't mind retro games (Sensi Soccer is still great to player with your mates), but FM is always a game that needs to be bang up-to-date in my eyes icon_smile.gif But peace out to everyone's opinions! Hehe

I do get something out of older games. The reason the others have a negative view of it here is because (if you don't mind me being accusing) that they simply look at gameplay. I have CM 01/02 and CM 93/94 along with FM 07 (not getting 08).

I play CM 01/02 because it's the most recent CM/FM I can play every league in foreground. I play 93/94 cos it's a simpler CM/FM expeience, if you want to do several seasons in a row. It's also the game I've gone furthest on (to about 2030, nearly everyone was retired) and been most succesful in (10 or so premiership titles in a row, from the start, before deleting).

I sold FM06 after playing 07 because it's the exact same base, but with better thins added in. I got bored of the monotony of 2006 compared to it's slowness, 2007 is faster and improved so I won't be playing 2006 again.

Sometimes I'd like to go back to an earlier version - especially FM2005. I had a great Arsenal team and signed Jean Beausejour from Genk; he outscored Henry - 40 in 38 games. As you go through newer versions you still look for these players but they invariably turn out to be rubbish and in the Colombian 2nd Division. If anyone fancies a game on FM05 I recommend Beausejour. What a player!

I don't think I could go back now, the gradual evolution of the game from version to version would seem like a stark contrast and there would be glaring issues that FM08 addresses

On a few occasions, I've felt nostalgic and loaded up an old version of which I was fond, such as 01/02. But the playing experience is never what I expected. Like most of the others who've posted here, I find I like the new features too much to go back, particularly the ever evolving tactical side of the game (warts and all).

ive just recently discovered the editor and have fun with that, im loving play on my laptop but doesnt run 07 very well 06 aint great with speed either so ive been playing CM03/04 and included friends and thing and updated the names of the leagues with is great! i am yet to try FM05 and have to wait and search at my parents ive still got allsorts of things there im hoping FM05 will run on my old dog of a laptop coz it wasnt too demanding was it? it has conf north and south which is what i miss when i play CM icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gubbs:

'With great fun'

Are you Japanese?

icon_rolleyes.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why bother replying just to say something so pointless?

icon_rolleyes.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by chopper99:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gubbs:

'With great fun'

Are you Japanese?

Everything on this forum is pointless. I haven't seen a single intelligent post on here in five years. So don't even go there ..

As for replying for the sake of it. What exactly have you just done?

So go roll your eyes at something else dimebar!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SWaRFeGa:

Personally, no. Old players, old ways of thinking and playing, less options - it just doesn't do it for me. I don't mind retro games (Sensi Soccer is still great to player with your mates), but FM is always a game that needs to be bang up-to-date in my eyes icon_smile.gif But peace out to everyone's opinions! Hehe </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

my views exactly icon_biggrin.gif

FM 05 is one my favorites and always will be.

It was just so fun; choose a decent tactic, find decent players and just play to win.

I just don't have time to tinker with things as much but I try to find time in my busy schedule.

Sometimes, I wish things could be like old times.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by chopper99:

'With great fun'

Are you Japanese?

Grow Up!

What you said was tantamount to racism!

Everything on this forum is pointless. I haven't seen a single intelligent post on here in five years. So don't even go there ..

So go roll your eyes at something else dimebar! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by niktheblade1:

'With great fun'

Are you Japanese?

So go roll your eyes at something else dimebar! </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Grow Up!

What you said was tantamount to racism!

(What was that you said about intelligence?) icon_rolleyes.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Can you still play old versions with great fun? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Back to the topic eh people... icon_wink.gif

I played the original CM a few weeks back. Yes it was still fun. Very basic compared to FM08, but mostly fun perhaps from a nostalgic point of view. After all, that's where it all began. icon14.gif

I'd say Yes. After trying to enjoy 08 with 8.0.2, I went back to 07 7.0.2 and am enjoying it so much more, purely because the whole thing feels polished, the match engine feels perfectly balanced and no other little niggles. There's just to many little things wrong with 08 for me unfortunately.

I might actually install 05 and even 01/02 soon.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Starr_Man5:

I tried playing FM05 recently and then tried CM4 (which I bought for £1).

IMHO you'd get more nostalgic whipping out the old mobile phone for a game of snake...

(But we are spoilt nowadays) icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That was £1 you wish you kept hold of surely icon_frown.gif

On topic I still play FM 2007, which is hardly retro, but my housemate and I have a game in France, where we have unfinished business. We managed to topple Lyon's domination, with Monaco (him) and Auxerre (me) the current top two. He won the league in 2011. 2012 is my year icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by StevenPDunne:

I haven't done so for a while, but if I go back and play an old version, it'd be 95/96 (the first one I ever played) or 03/04. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Make that 97/98. I said it had been a while...

when i first got 08 i didnt really like the screen being all white and it just looked so different from 07. i know these things can prob be changed. after a while i now like the 08 version. i remember that cm italia game i had that it was good all the old cm games were good. i prefer fm now cm is not as good. i know the developers that used to make cm now make fm u can tell

I don't personally see much point in replaying anything from CM4 onwards, as FM2008 is just a more polished version of those games. I've been back and played CM0102 quite a few times as it's basically a different game, but it's not the same as the newest version. The stuff I miss more than anything is the little interface improvements, like the right click menus, the auto continue timeout and now the multiple select thingy. Everything just seems so more clunky and awkward to use in the older versions.

i still love playing cm0102 especially as their is a lovely little sight called champman0102 that provides regular updates(about 2-3 a season) and a patcher which speeds up the game and changes some of the league structures to bring them up to date also it allows you to have different coloured ratings and you can even make the game harder if you want by letting the AI use CHEAT tactics, there are load of other things to that i cant remember. All i know is that without these modifications i could never go back but with them it rivals any of the cm/fm versions

I've come to prefer the older versions, particularly 05 and 06. I don't play 08 any more and regret now that I even bought it.

The game just seems too much like work. The need to constantly fiddle with tactics that don't work has just gotten old for me. Unless you play some top-flight team, FM often is an exercise in frustration.

It would be less so if there was a "never get fired" option so I could just have fun managing my favorite team and building it at my own pace, but I won't hold my breath on that one.

A couple of months ago I realized that I was spending gobs of time reading forum posts and exhaustively written bibles on FM tactics and not even really playing the game. I'd try to implement some tactic I read about only to have it do nothing to improve performance, then start a new game with the 'new' tactic and a new team and get nowhere, then find a new tactic and try to implement it, then start a new game, and on and on.

Really silly.

Actually come across 05 a week or so ago and decieded to fire it up and have a game icon14.gif

Was nice to go back to it for a couple of hours, but eventually had to just wrap it in because I'm enjoying mt 08 game so much. Just enjoy the up to date database and the new features ( however dodgy some of them have been implemented )

Still playing 07, as I bought 08 and still hated it after the first patch, by which point I was enjoying my saved game on 07 so much that I decided to just sell 08. I couldn't go back any further than that though.

Archived