Does FM09 support online play over a proxy network?

So I've been playing FM online for years. I've had (and resolved) all the usual problems, but this one is unique. I am playing a local-network game with my flatmate at university. When one person runs the game as a host, their CPU usage always maxes out at 100%, with FM taking up 99% of those resources. This makes the game unplayable. FM can be played normally though, or without problems when at home, so the problem is evidently the university network.

I contacted my university internet services, and they confirmed that all ports were open, but that many games have problems when being played over a proxy server. These problems can often be corrected by altering "cache" settings, but there is no place to do this on FM (atleast in the standard GUI - I havn't delved deeper, and wouldnt know how to!). Connection via hamachi is probably out of the question, as at the moment that program is unsupport by the university network.

Remembering then, that we have no problems finding each others games and connecting, just a huge devotion of CPU resources when hosting a game (note, just joining is fine), I ask the following: does SI/FM support the playing of FM over a proxy network? If so, how can I resolve this issue?

Many thanks in advance - we bought the game for this purpose, so £60 is a lot to lose if we can't fix it!

Archived