What would you do?

Right, I'm currently managing Koper of Slovenia. I doing rather well. I won the cup in the first season and the league in the second. In the third season myself and Domzale are 9 points clear of the trailing bunch at just past the halfway mark.

I feel I have built a good squad from poor resources. My ground is tiny, my attendances are smaller still and my wage budget is only on the up because I got a million for my star player.

All in all I'm enjoying my time with Koper but I feel I can do better than my resources will allow me to do with them. I can't compete in the European competitions so all there is is the league.

Hence the dilemma that I am faced with since I became hot favourite for the post of Tom Tomsk manager in Russia. They just finished the season one place off the relegation spots despite having a Thai tycoon in the head office.

I'm sure I'd have money if I was to be offered the job, and I am sure I could build a strong team.

That leaves the question as to whether I leave Koper before the end of the season and trade in the chance of back to back titles for a shot at the wealthy.

I'm rather daunted about taking on a Russian club. Would it even raise my reputation all that much, or would I just be taking a sideways step? Is it tough to break into the top clubs in Russia, even with the finances of a tycoon?

I know that no one can jump into my shoes, but what would you do? I haven't been offered the job yet, but I seem to be the hot favourite and I declined to comment when asked about the job. That makes me think they'll plump me in with the 'I'd take it if offered' crowd.

It's just a game but I can't think for the life of me what I'll do if given an offer. I don't want to make the wrong choice either.

Don't you just love this game?

• 2 weeks later...

Wow I'd given up on this thread. Didn't expect to come on this morning and see a few replies.

Yes it sounds like and easy decision, johnmulhern, but I was really enjoying my time at Koper. I get somewhat attached to the clubs I'm at.

Well The Russians never got back to me. I looked them up and they had given the job to some Ukrainian. I've had a few rumours since but no one has actually offered me a contract. I just won the Slovenian league again and now have a continental rep so I will go job hunting at the end of the season.

My worries about Russia were ending up being stuck out in the middle of nowhere for 5 seasons. I think the second title will help me to get an even bigger job in western Europe. I shall see.

Thanks for the advice all.

TBF, the Russian jobs wouldn't raise your reputation much. More than the Slovenian league, yeah, but once it's that high, you're better off getting a job in, say, Seria B.

Yes, I think something like Serie B is what I'd like. I really don't think there's much chance of the top division in any of the bigger countries just yet. I might get a big job in Belgium of Holland perhaps.

Just in case anyone is interested in an update as to where I went, well I just accepted the Dinamo Kiev job. It was offered to me even though I had no idea it was even available. It wasn't somewhere I had been looking, having put forward an interest in clubs such as Forest and Hertha Berlin.

I was a little dubious about the Ukrainian league being of any use to building my reputation but the £27m transfer budget and the much better chance of European glory pulled me in.

It's still a step up from Koper, though I'm disappointed to just up and leave a club I came to really adore. I intend to help them out by spending mega bucks on a player I let go from there. He has a huge sell-on clause and I could make them a million or so.

Hope I've made a solid choice. Better go brush up on my Ukrainian.

You've got to remember what you're leaving behind. Koper is a beautiful little city with excellent weather since its on the adriatic coast. It feels very much like a lot of a old Italian cities basically because it is a Venetian city. You won't get such nice weather in deepest Russia :)

You've got to remember what you're leaving behind. Koper is a beautiful little city with excellent weather since its on the adriatic coast. It feels very much like a lot of a old Italian cities basically because it is a Venetian city. You won't get such nice weather in deepest Russia :)

Have you been to Koper? The photos I've seen look nice.

In FM07 I spent about 10 years as manager of Skarp in Northern Norway. I know cold. :D

I've been at Kiev for about a month now and I do miss Koper. You have to move on though. At some point anyway.

You could always look into making Koper a feeder club for Dynamo Kiev; you could loan your players there to get them up to fitness. That'd be kinda like helping your old team out.

Yeah, I looked into that. Not getting an option for Koper though. :(

Archived