Give your PA of the football legends of the game

I'm a United fan and I am re-creating the United 90's to 00's team combined on the database. What would you say realistically the PA's of the former United players or other footballing legends?

I want to be accurate, so:

Schmeichel 199

Cantona 196

Keane 195

Stam 185

Irwin 179

Kanchelskis 184

Hughes 183

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Schmeichel should be a bit less than that. Look at Buffon's PA now, for example. I'd say 188. As for Keane, you could check his PA from a few years back, he didn't retire long ago. Same for Kanchelskis, he's in 07's db, as is Stam. The others seem fine, maybe Cantona could come down a point or two as 196 would make him as good as Cruyff or Platini.

Good player that Cantona was, he is massively overated by Man Utd fans, He did nothing much in European Competition and at International level, he wasnt even considered good enough for France at Euro 96 and played for the France team that failed to qualify for USA 94 and flopped at Euro 92

The Dane was very good, but he's no Yashin, Banks or Buffon.

Only Man U fans believe that players like Roy Keane are the best ever. Davids in his prime, Dunga, Makelele, Vieira, Mascherano, Essien. That's 6 off the top of my head who are/were as good as or better than your Irish thug.

Vieira, Mascherano, Essien.

Haha, good one man, good one.

Lol.

Uh huh. I bet Georgie Best is history's greatest player too.

-----------Schmeichel

Neville, Stam, Ferdinand, Irwin

Ronaldo, Keane, Scholes, Giggs

-----------Best

--------------Van Nistelrooy

Best team of all time, I'm sure. I only include Best because you've probably seen Youtube clips of him and your dad says he was amazing.

Schmichael was better than Buffon.

His talent was so good, he was the only player who was capable of playing for the right and wrong half of Manchester and still retain respect in both halves (although I suppose Gary Neville disagrees).

His reflexes were amazing, his strength second-to-none for a goalkeeper (his long throws were staggering). His kicking was excellent and his shot-stopping was brilliant.

According to FourFourTwo, Schmichael kept clean sheets in 42% (!) of his Premiership matches, a figure no other goalkeeper has come close to.

Good player that Cantona was, he is massively overated by Man Utd fans, He did nothing much in European Competition and at International level, he wasnt even considered good enough for France at Euro 96 and played for the France team that failed to qualify for USA 94 and flopped at Euro 92

20 goals in 45 games for France, missed Euro 96 cause he was suspended half way through the qualifying campaign where he was captain. Jean Pierre Papin was in the Euro 92 squad and played up front with him. Overall the stats dont look so bad when you actually look at the facts

Oh dear, bit of controversy in this thread... so i'll add to it :p

Being a Town supporter i favor neither the Mancs nor Gunners... (Despite the horrible 9 - 0 beating we took at old trafford not too long back...)

I personally believe Vieria was the better player in his prime at Arsenal, not just a terrific tackler but had the physich to win headers and hold off players... a true DM at it's best!

As for Schmeichel\Buffon... to close to call, both amazing between the sticks but ovcors the level of strikers they faced has changed!

I'd say other than Cantona those look about right, Eric should probably be 180-185. Don't get me wrong he was good but he wasn't quite as good as you've got him.

For people saying Schmeichel at 199 is too high, come off it there's not been a GK that good before or since. And in defence of the OP it's not Man Utd fans that over rate Roy Keane it is in fact the rest of the world that hugely under rates him, maybe PA 190 is a bit more realistic though :thup:

Schmeichel could throw the ball as far as many other keepers could kick it. Unfortunately it caused him vast backproblems, and he stopped doing it much.

Only Gordon Banks had a comparable reaction time.

Neither Cech, Buffon, or Castillas can hold a candle to the great dane.

The FM numbers for some of the current players are way too high.

I am a LFC fan and have been since 76 - but Schmeichel was just that good.

Davids in his prime, Dunga, Makelele, Vieira, Mascherano, Essien. That's 6 off the top of my head who are/were as good as or better than your Irish thug.

Matthaus was great, IMO much better than Keane. Desailly and Deschamps also awesome. Those three won pretty much everything that could be won.:)

Hunter i'm not being funny but you haven't really got a clue.

You generally have to give a reason to be taken seriously. Else you boil down to 'NO U"

For the record, don't get me wrong, Schmeichel and Keane were obviously both very, very good players. Peter I'd even put as a top 5 GK ever. That doesn't make him 199 PA. He wasn't perfect. He made mistakes, and had a habit of conceding a few at a time. Keane, as others have pointed out, is by no means the best DM ever- plenty of players at his level.

Peter I'd even put as a top 5 GK ever

Made me laugh, to think there were 2 better keepers than him is a bit far fetched but 4? That's just being silly.

Also I don't think anyone who seriously thinks Mascherano is better than Keane can be taken seriously.

Mascherano is as good as Keane ever was. He's a better passer of the ball and reads the game better. He's not as aggressive or strong in the tackle, and they're both underrated going forwards.

I say top 5, because I dunno where he'd come in it. Yashin, Banks, Buffon, Schmeichel... and I'm sure there's plenty of contention for the 5th place.

Mascherano is as good as Keane ever was. He's a better passer of the ball and reads the game better.

This is honestly the biggest load of rubbish I've ever heard. Keane's main strength's imo were his ability to read the game and his passing, often overlooked because of the "hard man" image people painted of him. How often is Mascherano the force driving Liverpool forward? Never. How often was Keane the driving force for Man Utd? All the time.

Next you'll be telling us Mascherano is better than Scholes :rolleyes:

I have to agree with you on this issue!

This is honestly the biggest load of rubbish I've ever heard. Keane's main strength's imo were his ability to read the game and his passing, often overlooked because of the "hard man" image people painted of him. How often is Mascherano the force driving Liverpool forward? Never. How often was Keane the driving force for Man Utd? All the time.

Next you'll be telling us Mascherano is better than Scholes :rolleyes:

Nah. Next is Riera > Giggs.

Archived