Club Legends

I signed Marquinhos in 2010-11 and it is now 2022-23 season. Over these 11/12 seasons he has played 336 games scoring 135 goals with a 7.13 average rating. So, not exactly a regular, not a prolific goalscorer and his performances have not set the world alight.

Compare this with Adebayor who is record league goal scorer for the club, scored 297 goals in the 363 games he played for me. Also Fabregas who has been club captain since the start of the game, he has played 677 games for me scoring over 100 goals with probably twice as many assists.

Why of the three players listed is Marquinhos a club legend and Adebayor and Fabregas only favoured personnel? I think legend should be reserved for the greats like Fabregas who has captained the team in so many games. Marquinhos has been a back up for me yet gets higher status at the club, seem strange. Especially when the other players listed as legends are just that - Henry, Bergkamp, Adams, Chapman.

In real terms I would liken it to Giggs not being classed as a legend at United despite playing most games for the club yet someone like Wes Brown, who is a great squad player but not a regular, being held in higher esteem by the fans.

Archived