For a team currently top of the Championship, Wolves sure suck!

Hello, me again......

You may remember me from such threads as 'I am clearly not cut out for the big time' where I described my hapless efforts trying to get Man Utd to perform. After ten games and a string of unlikely results I conceeded defeat and started a new league with Wolves (a team who currently look a cut above the rest in the Championship, what could go wrong!). Only this time around I set myself as a former International to try and make the game 'easier' and have my players lusting to do a job for me.

Pre-season went great and although I wasn't surging past the several non-league and unheard of clubs I still managed to win all my pre season friendlies. Good times!

However, the season started and then it all went wrong. I started away at Sheffield Wednesday, who I may add had a player sent off midway through the game. Kightly, Ebanks-Blake and Iwulemo (sp?) were terrible and couldn't hit a barn door. I lost the game 1-0 conceeding a goal with ten minutes remaining. Bad times!

I then played Exeter in the cup and narrowly won the game 2-1. My love and appreciation for FM return again.....briefly. Back to the league and in woeful circumstances I lost 2-0 against Sheffield United, lost 1-0 against Derby, lost 1-0 against Norwich and managed a narrow 2-1 win against Blackpool in between those defeats. Oh and I managed a 3-1 win against Leeds in the League Cup too, next up Chelsea....well my Cup run was fun while it lasted!

I just don't understand how I can have a strike force of Ebanks-Blake (who is awesome in real life) and Chris Iwulemo and yet I have not scored in most of my fixtures. I have a decent squad but I get over turned by everything the Championship has to throw at me.

Are Wolves excelling themselves this season? The reason I ask is because I tend to go into most matches as the outsider and after the match my assistant often reports 'I expected a difficult game and it is no surprise Sheff Wed took all three points'.....Sheff Wed!

I have started leagues now with Man Utd, Reading and Wolves and in all three I have been unable to reflect their true intent in the League. Is there any way, any tactic or effective team talk that is going to turn me into a half decent Football Manager??!?!?!

If you are still reading, thanks for listening. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I agree that Wolves may be excelling this season, although I think you mean exceeding.

If you can't get Wolves, Man Utd or Reading to win, it shows that the clubs aren't rubbish on the game, but maybe your tactics need looking at. Try searching the Tactics & Training Tips forum for more info

Wolves are rated as one of the best Championship teams in the game like they are IRL. So it's down to your management.

Nicely said! :D

I kinda wanted to say the same, but I guessed it wouldn't be taken lightly, as I have WWFC in my username :p

Ummm...

How the were Derby in the bottom 3 of the Championship a week ago? Wolves are a good side, but it's the Championship, any side can beat any side and Wolves have lost quite a few times this season. The only side in the League that looks a cut above the rest are Reading. Then there's sides with obvious quality that for one reason or another can't perform. It's what actually happens, if you don't like it, play FIFA Manager or something.

Well by the results that you said in your post you are having trouble getting the best out of Wolves strikers, and it is most likely your tactics aren't suited to them. Wolves have one of the best attacks in the Championship both in and out of the game. Getting your tactics set up to score goals is pretty difficult initially, the only thing harder is getting your defense to keep clean sheets. Once you have worked it out then the game is pretty easy until you are trying for the European Cup.

You don't seem to be having too many defensive problems like Wolves do out of the game. I mean how on earth did we, Norwich City, put eight goals past you in two games? The four points are quite welcome of cause ;).

My only advice is to start out simple. Don't try and play pretty ball but go for ugly and effective, it has taken me to a current play off spot in the championship in my 4th season with Lincoln. Don't overwork the tactics either decide on a formation that suite the players you have and stick to it for abit. If players peform badly look at their personal instructions and try tweaking them small amounts at a time.

Wolves have a truckload of players who are new at the club at the start of the season, and so can have serious problems with squad gelling. I suggest taking the conservative approach in the beginning - use a moderately attacking tactic, with not too much Creative Freedom to keep them from messing things up. "Lump it to the big man and have the small bloke score" is a valid approach :)

I am currently 2nd with them in the first season with 66 points from 32 matches.

You just need the right signings and the right tactics.

For tactics look at the tactics forum. You can either read TT&F and try to create your own after that or download one of those which have lead to good success. Frankly, that's what I did.

If you want to know who I signed for Wolves, just PM me (no naming allowed in here).

I am currently 2nd with them in the first season with 66 points from 32 matches.

You just need the right signings and the right tactics.

For tactics look at the tactics forum. You can either read TT&F and try to create your own after that or download one of those which have lead to good success. Frankly, that's what I did.

If you want to know who I signed for Wolves, just PM me (no naming allowed in here).

You could post who you've signed in the Wolves thread in good players and teams forum. :)

Read the Tactical Thereoms and Framweorks 09 document and take a look at Cleons Sheff Utd project.

If you're losing, it's because you are not very good at the game.

Above all else, try everything and anything for team talks and tactics. Even if it seems illogical, it may work.

Archived